• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry areas in La crosse.

Canard

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
According to state law you can open carry everywhere except private property denied, cars, bars, govt owned property.

"government owned property" is a bit vague and not totally correct. Let's start again...

Doug you are usually so specific.

Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ), Government Buildings, Establishments with Class B Liquor Licenses (serve Alcohol for consumption on site), Car, and Private Property where you are denied carry by the owner. Government Owned Property is not specifically denied, i.e a county or city parks are generally OK unless you talk to the Portage County Sheriff.

Doug, I'll let you cite the specific codes...insert after here:

Nevermind, I've got it... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

La Crosse, Green Bay, Bumblesticks...they all have the same requirements

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
According to state law you can open carry everywhere except private property denied, cars, bars, govt owned property.
It's an artificially short list for memorization, like "LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER, TARGET", or the four elements of common law self-defense.

I repeat them over and over and y'all, Anony Mouse trolls, quibble and carp. that doesn't change the essential truth. Believe nothing that you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting world view.

johnny amish

imported post

I don't have a map but some places you can't carry are Valley View Mall,Buffalo Wild Wings andBurger King. Several of ushave carried in La Crosse and Onalaska for a long timewith no trouble. LEO has made some effort to educate themselves on the laws of oc.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For the most part, if you are going anywhere shopping you can carry and not worry about the school zone...like when you park in their parking lot and walk in. If you are walking anywhere, just Google "la crosse wi school" or "onalaska wi school" and look where the schools are.

But really, the law states if you knowingly walk into a school zone...so if you don't know about them, that's your defense. If you were to have a map on you and you walked through a school zone, how are you going to get out of that one?

I personally don't get out of my apartment that often and do anything. The only place I really go is like Wal-Mart, with the occasional Gander Mountain or Kohls or something...so I carry then. If I get food anywhere, it's normally a place that serves alcohol and I can't carry there (without permission).

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

gunner05 wrote:
What i really wanted is a map of the school zones in la crosse/onalaska. sorry for not stating that.

No, you really don't. The ordinance says 'knowingly' so you REALLY don't want to know where the schools are.

Flash Gordon

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
The ordinance says 'knowingly' so you REALLY don't want to know where the schools are.
Thank you. Absent intent, mens rea, there is no crime. A philosophical point of law.
so are school district administration buildings considered the same as operating schools?

CUOfficer

imported post

Flash Gordon wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
The ordinance says 'knowingly' so you REALLY don't want to know where the schools are.
Thank you. Absent intent, mens rea, there is no crime. A philosophical point of law.
so are school district administration buildings considered the same as operating schools?
That's probably a good question for your lawyer. According to a La Crosse Police captain, buildings such as the La Crosse Center that are owned by the city and leased out are government buildings and you can't carry there. So an administrative building is not a k-12 school but is gov't owned. Obviously you can't carry in to the building but as far as the 1000' rule is concerned, you might want to check with your counsel.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
So an administrative building is not a k-12 school but is gov't owned.
948.605 Gun−free school zones.
(1) DEFINITIONS. In this
section:
[ ... ]
(b) “School” has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).

948.61 Dangerous weapons other than firearms on
school premises.
(1) In this section:
[ ... ]
(b) “School” means a public, parochial or private school which
provides an educational program for one or more grades between
grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary
school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school or
high school.

Nursery school and kindergarten are not covered by this statute.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

gunner05 wrote:
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.I really do want to know the school zones. Unlike you I do not want to be a felon. Why would you say something so stupid.

(2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is
guilty of a Class I felony.

Kind'a hard to argue that element if the perp has a map in his pocket or an on-line conversation instructing ignorance.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

gunner05 wrote:
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. I really do want to know the school zones.  Unlike you I do not want to be a felon. Why would you say something so stupid.

You are right, ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. Ignorance of the school zone is. A similar case was just thrown out because the OC'er was 946 feet away from school property. The state has to PROVE that you KNOW you were that close.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/46249.html

Gordo

imported post

But does that set a precedence? If another judge and DA had to deal with it would it be the same outcome? I don't want to be the one to find out.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Gordo wrote:
But does that set a precedence? If another judge and DA had to deal with it would it be the same outcome? I don't want to be the one to find out.

Not necessarily, it just shows that you have to KNOW that you are within the school zone and since when you get stopped you won't have a map on you showing the zones and you won't say something stupid like "I knew I was 962 feet from that school" then the prosecution has to prove:

1. You were on public property within 1000 feet of school property.
2. You KNEW it.

I'm not saying you should go strolling down the street looking for schools and walk by in front of them, all I'm saying is that the nous is on the prosecutor and as long as you aren't stupid you should be OK.

IANAL and this advice is worth what you paid for it.

gunner05

imported post

Ok, for me I want to know where those boundries are. Why push the issue with the police and give them a reason to harass youor draw attention to yourself more than you have to by carrying. I would just like to take a walk with out worrying about did I cross that line or not.