• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry areas in La crosse.

johnny amish

imported post

gunner05 wrote:
Ok, for me I want to know where those boundries are. Why push the issue with the police and give them a reason to harass youor draw attention to yourself more than you have to by carrying. I would just like to take a walk with out worrying about did I cross that line or not.
La Crosse police seem to be very aware of the oc laws. I can only speak for myself but to date I have had no contact with them and I carry somewhere in La Crosse 2 to 3 times a week. With that being said maybe next time will be my first, hope not. Don't forget your voice recorder, just in case. Carry on.

CUOfficer

imported post

No one has made a school zone map for La Crosse or Onalaska. It's pretty common sense where the schools are. You can't walk from the North Side of La Crosse to downtown without being in several school zones. As for Onalaska, just google school districts in Onalaska, print a map, and use the scale to get a rough idea. If you are that picky you can take a range finder to an object on the edge of school property and be the one to make the first map! There aren't many areas in either city that you could walk your dogs an open carry because of the abundance of schools.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

But if you do all the research and either admit it on this forum or publish it you will have removed the reasonable doubt implied that you have to KNOW that you are in a school zone.

Personally I would look to see where schools are but I would go out of my way to NOT measure 1000 feet.

johnny amish

imported post

It looks like the La Crosse area has a few newcomers to oc, awesome.If anyone is interested I would be happy to meet you somewhere and assist anyway I can. Sometimes ocing for your first time with someone who has done it before is a good way to break the ice. Just a thought, let me know.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

johnny amish wrote:
It looks like the La Crosse area has a few newcomers to oc, awesome. If anyone is interested I would be happy to meet you somewhere and assist anyway I can. Sometimes ocing for your first time with someone who has done it before is a good way to break the ice. Just a thought, let me know.

Good job Johnny!

It is MUCH easier with someone else the 1st time.

johnny amish

imported post

gunner05 wrote:
Yes I am a new comer to oc. The first time was at walmart onalaska with my two boys. My oldest will be 18 in sept. and can't wait to oc.
That's awesome, you have come to the right place for very good information. You must be proud to be setting such a good example for your two boys. Carry on.