• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Final Word On "Which is The Best Caliber?" Question

zack991

imported post

Found this on another Gun Forum I Visit. Enjoy!
cornut.gif

Why Your Favorite Caliber Sucks---its just for fun. So please no sandy crotch replies

5.7×28mm: Ingenious way to make a centerfire .22 Magnum and then charge quadruple price for the same ballistics. Awesome chambering for a police weapon…if you’re the park ranger in charge of the chipmunk exhibit at the zoo, and you want to make sure you can take one down if it turns rabid on you.

.25ACP: Direct violation of the maxim “Never do an enemy a minor injury”. Designed by folks who wanted to retain the bullet diameter of the .22 rimfire round, but take a bit of the excessive lethality out of it. Favored by people who don’t feel comfortable carrying anything more dangerous than the neighbor kid’s rusty Red Ryder pellet gun.

.32ACP: Inadequate for anything more thick-skinned than Northeastern squirrels or inbred Austrian archdukes. Semi-rimmed cartridge that is rimlock-happy in modern lightweight autoloaders. Doesn’t go fast enough to expand a hollowpoint bullet, and it wouldn’t matter even if it did, because the bullet would only expand from tiny to small-ish.

.38 Special: Legacy design with a case length that’s 75% longer than necessary for the mediocre ballistics of the round due to its blackpowder heritage. On the plus side, the case length makes it easy to handle when reloading the gun. This is a good thing because anyone using their .38 in self-defense against a 250-pound attacker hopped up on crack will need to empty the gun multiple times.

.380ACP/9mm Kurz: Designed by people who thought the 9mm Luger was a bit too brisk and snappy, which is pretty much all that needs to be said here. Great round if you expect to only ever be attacked by people less than seven inches thick from front to back.

9mm Luger: European popgun round that’s only popular because the ammo is cheap for a centerfire cartridge. Cheap ammo is a good thing for 9mm aficionados, because anything bigger and more dangerous than a cranky raccoon will likely require multiple well-placed hits. Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.

.40S&W: Neutered compromise version of a compromise cartridge. Even more setback-happy than the .45ACP, and setbacks are much more dangerous because of higher pressure and smaller case volume. Manages to sacrifice both the capacity of the 9mm and the bullet diameter of the .45. Twice the recoil of the 9mm for 10% more muzzle energy.

.357SIG: Highly overpriced boutique round that does the .40S&W one worse: it manages to share the capacity penalty of the .40 while retaining the small bullet diameter of the 9mm. Noisy, sharp recoil, and 100% cost penalty for ballistics that can be matched by a good 9mm +P+ load. Penetrates like the dickens, which means that the Air Marshals just had to adopt it…only to load their guns with frangible bullets to make sure they don’t penetrate like the dickens.

.357 Magnum: Lots of recoil, muzzle blast, and noise to drive a 9mm bullet to reckless speeds in an attempt to make up for its low mass and diameter. Explosive fragmentation and insufficient penetration with light bullets; excessive penetration and insufficient expansion with heavy ones. Still makes only 9mm holes in the target.

10mm Auto: Super-high pressure cartridge that beats up gun and shooter alike. Very brisk recoil in anything other than all-steel S&W boat anchors, with a shot recovery that’s measured in geological epochs for most handgun platforms. Often underloaded to wimpy levels (see “.40 S&W”), which then gives it 9mm ballistics while requiring .45ACP magazine real estate.

.45ACP: Chunky low-pressure cartridge that hogs magazine space and requires a low-capacity design (if the gun needs to fit human hands) or a grip with the circumference of a two-liter soda bottle (if the gun needs to hold more than seven rounds). Disturbingly prone to bullet setback, expensive to reload, fits only into big and clunky guns, and a recoil that has an inversely proportionate relationship with muzzle energy.

.44 Magnum: Overpowered round that generates manageable recoil and muzzle blast…if you’re a 300-pound linebacker with wrists like steel girders. Often loaded to “Lite” levels that turn it into a noisy .44 Special while retaining the ego-preserving Magnum headstamp. Considered the “most powerful handgun cartridge in the world” by people whose gun knowledge is either stuck in 1960, or who get their expertise in ballistics from Dirty Harry movies.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I bet 'ol Elmer Keith would have a thing or two to say about those criticisms of the .357 and .44 magnums.I bethe wouldn't be deterred by the sandy-crotch request, neither. :)

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Anyone who says 9mm isn't sufficient, has never actually shot someone before.

How about you and your buddies take turns shooting each other in the face with a 9mm.. cause he'll all you'll get is "really pissed off..."

Morons.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PT111 wrote:
Wow, someone finally telling it like it is. :p
Yeah. This is why I drag around an old 105mm howitzer as my self-defense weapon. Recoil is hell firing one-handed; but I can take out a whole pack of Pagans or Hells Angels with one flechette round!

Lately, I've been toying with just keeping an F16 on station, circling me 24 hrs a day, or maybe a Predator. But, I can't get dad to loan me the money.

:)

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

what would be the best round for dealing with people and animals like bears

i have a 1911 trying to decide do i get the 460 rowland kit for it or do i buy a 357 mag revolver for woods use only

AZkopper

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

I call BS on BS. Worked for an agency that issued B92F's. I've oberseved multiple shootings. Several subjects took 5-10 rounds to the torso--and lived. One subject took a 9mm to the cranium, behind the ear--and the round failed to penitrate the skull.

younggun20

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

I call BS on BS. Worked for an agency that issued B92F's. I've oberseved multiple shootings. Several subjects took 5-10 rounds to the torso--and lived. One subject took a 9mm to the cranium, behind the ear--and the round failed to penitrate the skull.
Went on a road trip to Colorado a couple years ago and met a man who played russian roulette with a 9mm also lived lost a little control of motor functions but he says it was a lot less than he was expecting lol

zack991

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

How about you and your buddies take turns shooting each other in the face with a 9mm.. cause he'll all you'll get is "really pissed off..."

Morons.
Bravo if your reply was sarcasm then forgive me, just got off working a 11 hour shift. My phone wont let me reply to any thread, it lets me log in but nothing else.

Again the full intent of this thread was to poke fun at everyone here(to include me) who has been involved with those "best caliber threads". Myself and others are surly not looking to start another messy "your caliber sucks" thread.:banghead: I would like to enjoy a thread that pokes fun at us gun owners for a bit, and have some good old fun verses the typical pissing match that happens.

We can all pull story after story of each persons proof of "this" caliber sucks or so called proof their caliber is a one shot man stopper.
These are all the typical comments people have made about these calibers and they where put together to show the stupidity of those type of threads. So for the sake of having a good time and enjoy the thread. Lets leave the chest thumping for another 1911 VS Polymer thread.;)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
any survivors of 357 mag or 45acp to the chest

South Carolina State Trooper shot a suspect in the chest with 5 of his 6 .357 magnum rounds. The trooper, wearing a vest, took two shots from a .22 derringer. The 2nd shot from the .22 managed to ricochet under his vest through the arm hole. The round found the trooper's heart, and he died minutes later.

The suspect lived and went to jail.

Handguns suck at killing people and large animals...always have. They're a compromise of power for convenience. A handgun is really only useful for two things: giving you time to run,or giving you time to get a real gun.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Morons.
It's called "humor," Bravo. Google it.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If the biggest thing you'll encounter is a black bear, you might get away with a .357 magnum. I would recommend a .44 magnum, however. Heavy loads for bears and .44 special regular or +P rounds for defense against humans. The .44 special is under-rated as a defense round, in my opinion.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
Quite a number of years ago (20+ because I was a police officer at the time), I read an article where someone (perhaps Massad Ayoob) had collected data from hundreds of actual police-involved shootings and listed the most effective rounds in terms of one-shot stops. At the top were the .45 ACP (don't remember the type of projectile) and the 125 grain JHP .357 magnum. There's probably someone out there who survived a chest shot from either round, but the odds are in favor of the shooter.

groovedrummer

imported post

DreQo wrote:
ericfrompahrump wrote:

South Carolina State Trooper shot a suspect in the chest with 5 of his 6 .357 magnum rounds. The trooper, wearing a vest, took two shots from a .22 derringer. The 2nd shot from the .22 managed to ricochet under his vest through the arm hole. The round found the trooper's heart, and he died minutes later.

The suspect lived and went to jail.

Handguns suck at killing people and large animals...always have. They're a compromise of power for convenience. A handgun is really only useful for two things: giving you time to run,or giving you time to get a real gun.

YYYEEEESSSSS!!!

I agree!

people can survive even good hits from any handgun caliber..so why try shooting the biggest your conformable with?

if a 380 is all your comfortable with, then carry it with pride because its better than a stick, or fingernails.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Cavalryman wrote:
ericfrompahrump wrote:
Quite a number of years ago (20+ because I was a police officer at the time), I read an article where someone (perhaps Massad Ayoob) had collected data from hundreds of actual police-involved shootings and listed the most effective rounds in terms of one-shot stops. At the top were the .45 ACP (don't remember the type of projectile) and the 125 grain JHP .357 magnum. There's probably someone out there who survived a chest shot from either round, but the odds are in favor of the shooter.

im not saying im an expert but i did alot of reading on velocity and ft pound of force

how they exactly measure it i dont know but maybe its meaning less

i say that because the numbers are similar for some rounds 9mm vs 45acp with the 9 being a bit faster

either way a bigger hole is going to bleed more

but maybe a super fast bullet generates heat and quarterizes the wound

PT111

imported post

zack991 wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:

Morons.
Bravo if your reply was sarcasm then forgive me, just got off working a 11 hour shift. My phone wont let me reply to any thread, it lets me log in but nothing else.

Again the full intent of this thread was to poke fun at everyone here(to include me) who has been involved with those "best caliber threads". Myself and others are surly not looking to start another messy "your caliber sucks" thread.:banghead: I would like to enjoy a thread that pokes fun at us gun owners for a bit, and have some good old fun verses the typical pissing match that happens.

We can all pull story after story of each persons proof of "this" caliber sucks or so called proof their caliber is a one shot man stopper.
These are all the typical comments people have made about these calibers and they where put together to show the stupidity of those type of threads. So for the sake of having a good time and enjoy the thread. Lets leave the chest thumping for another 1911 VS Polymer thread.;)
I am not sure why but humor and satire do not seem to exist on this board or most gun boards. No matter how outlansish your attempts are some will take you seriously.