View Poll Results: What type of holster do you carry?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fobus

2 6.45%
  • Blackhawk

27 87.10%
  • Galco

2 6.45%
  • Desanties

0 0%

Thread: Blackhawk Level II Serpa Holster

Post imported post

I just got my Blackhawk Level II holster. I love it but I am a little worried that the little part that is extended inside the holster will mess with the finish (if you were holding the gun it would be the left slide side). I put one layer of black hockey tape on it and I am really not that concerned anymore but I was wondering if anyone else felt this way, or felt that it was completely fine.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Post imported post

I've been carrying my XD40 for about 15 months in a Serpa holster.
    There is no sign of wear anywhere on it.
    It is either in the holster or sitting on a shelf about a foot from my hand so it get put in the holster and removed daily.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

Any holster will cause wear to the finish, and the carbon-fiber ones cause more than leather. That said, my "go-to" pistol is a Wilson CQB Elite and I made a conscious decision to just not worry about the finish. At worst, I could end up (in several years) sending it back to Wilson for refinishing. I'd be somewhat concerned about a pistol with a nickel or similar finish, but most modern "fighting" pistols have some variation of a spray-on finish which can be pretty easily restored.

Post imported post

IMO, if one is worried about the finish on their firearm they should stick said gun into a safe never to let it see daylight again.

things wear with use. it the nature of the beast.

as far as the OP's holster question goes, i personally have not noticed any discernible wear on any of my pistols that inhabit a Serpa. and if they did i would chalk it up as the price to be paid for the security of the firearm.

i'm not trying to be a wise-ass here, just trying to be realistic.

I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Post imported post

I have used a Serpa CQC (w/retention button) for 18 months with an M&P - there are very slight wear marks on a few contact places: takedown lever, exposed back top part of the barrel (shows thru ejector port), angles at tip of gun and behind ejector port. The wife uses a Galco leather holster for her Sig and she has a couple of minor wear points as well.

Isn't this a good thing? This is evidence that the weapon/firearm is being drawn and returned to the holster - evidence of training and practice. My Serpa is a bit beat up as well - scratches and scuffs that occurred with defensive training. Again, I take this as a good sign.

I am considering moving from a 9mm to a .45 ACP and will immediately buy a Serpa CQC and Galco Triton IWB - both are Kydex and both have proven themselves well in training and daily carry.

Post imported post

Acarry gun is to kill assailants, or if you prefer "neutralize". However you want to look at it, your gun is a tool to potentially end lives when needed, it isn't a fashion accessory. Screw the finish, it doesn't mean a thing.

That said, if it will just annoy the hell out of you to chew the finish up, try a Safariland, the suede lining will help protect the finish. You can also get a nice modern finish, and these hold up very well. I have for example noticed that Evil Creamsicle's XD's look brand new even though he's a daily Serpa user, so his experiences match jeeper's.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I have been carrying my G36 in a Serpa for over 4 years....yes...I have wear....but the amazing thing is....it didn't seem to effect the operation of my weapon what-so-ever.

My weapon is a tool, just like my hammer is a tool....you ought to see my hammer, but you know what....that nasty thing still drives a nail pretty well.

If you are so concerned about the wear and tear of your "tool"....I suggest making your own holster out of velvet....lol....won't matter anyway. ANY holster over time will produce wear...unless you never take it out....I take my "tool" out ever day, to check the "condition" of the "tool" to make sure it will function when I need it.

Z
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

Post imported post

There was a post one here about a year ago, where someone attached some mink skin?, (maybe), to the inside of his serpa. Be had good results protecting the finish. I have carried my XD in a serpa for about 2 years. It shows where the plastic of the serpa contacts the XD's slide. I carry it almost everywhere I go. (can't at work). But it is still carried every day. That and the drawing practice, (no round in the chamber). Has caused the bluing to wear. But it still functions perfectly. Where the. Bluing has rubbed of it will be more likely to rust, but regular maint and cleaning prevents that. I may get it reblued and then line the serpa with something. But I love the way my serpa carries. And will continue to use it. So in closeing the serpa is a great rig, but if you are really concerned about your finish either; 1 use another rig, or 2 line the serpa with something.

Post imported post

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth, have been carrying a 27 Glock for over a year now and have seen no visible signs of wear on the weapon with the Blackhawk Serpa, with that said, myself I really like it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Bushidonate wrote:
    There was a post one here about a year ago, where someone attached some mink skin?, (maybe), to the inside of his serpa. Be had good results protecting the finish. I have carried my XD in a serpa for about 2 years. It shows where the plastic of the serpa contacts the XD's slide. I carry it almost everywhere I go. (can't at work). But it is still carried every day. That and the drawing practice, (no round in the chamber). Has caused the bluing to wear. But it still functions perfectly. Where the. Bluing has rubbed of it will be more likely to rust, but regular maint and cleaning prevents that. I may get it reblued and then line the serpa with something. But I love the way my serpa carries. And will continue to use it. So in closeing the serpa is a great rig, but if you are really concerned about your finish either; 1 use another rig, or 2 line the serpa with something.
    What you refer to is mole skin - a heavy napped, woven cotton fabric available with a self adhesive backing - can be found at most drug stores.

Dont really worry about a small amount of wear on my guns. Regarding this, someone much wiser that I once said, "Wear equals character squared." It gives them a much loved look.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    nt of wear on my guns. Regarding this, someone much wiser that I once said, "Wear equals character squared." It gives them a much loved look. Yata hey
    Right. It's a tool and not a toy or trophy.

My hide polished my Mexican CCW H&K.

Post imported post

Mole skin! Thank you, it was just after 6am my time when I posted and my brain was a bit foggy. Mole skin. Attached to the friction points. And there you go, less ware.

Post imported post

Bushidonate wrote:
    THIS. A firearm is a tool that will wear over time, a gun that never sees the light of day so you can save the bluing will not be there for you when u need it.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

if you're worrying about the finish getting ruined, then don't carry that gun. What if you drop it in a gun fight? Are gonna stop to squeal like a little girl cause' your pretty gun got a boo-boo?

Do you worry about your hammers getting banged up? Cause your carry gun is the same thing, a tool.

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    if you're worrying about the finish getting ruined, then don't carry that gun. What if you drop it in a gun fight? Are gonna stop to squeal like a little girl cause' your pretty gun got a boo-boo?

Do you worry about your hammers getting banged up? Cause your carry gun is the same thing, a tool.
    Sorry I read this and it reminds me of this show that was in the UK. LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkt1vAX0MRM :shock:
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

zack991 wrote:
    Bushidonate wrote:
    THIS. A firearm is a tool that will wear over time, a gun that never sees the light of day so you canÂ* save the bluing will not be there for you when u need it.
    Re-read my post. My fire arm is a tool. One that is used everyday, (carried). And it does show the wear from it. But a tool should be taken care of. A hammer is a tool that when used correctly will show the wear on the head. If the wear is where it should be, good. If I see someone with a hammer where the back of the handle is cracked, smashed, and splintered, like they have used it like a pry bar, I worry about that.
    I have not abused my XD. But it still has some of the bluing rubbed off where it contacts the serpa. I have not worried about it since regular cleaning and maintenance has prevented rust. I have thought about rebluing my XD, just to make sure it is taken care of, but it has not been an issue yet.
    And if you were not giving me a hard time, I apologize.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Bushidonate wrote:
    zack991 wrote:
    Bushidonate wrote:
    THIS. A firearm is a tool that will wear over time, a gun that never sees the light of day so you can save the bluing will not be there for you when u need it.
    Re-read my post. My fire arm is a tool. One that is used everyday, (carried). And it does show the wear from it. But a tool should be taken care of. A hammer is a tool that when used correctly will show the wear on the head. If the wear is where it should be, good. If I see someone with a hammer where the back of the handle is cracked, smashed, and splintered, like they have used it like a pry bar, I worry about that.
    I have not abused my XD. But it still has some of the bluing rubbed off where it contacts the serpa. I have not worried about it since regular cleaning and maintenance has prevented rust. I have thought about rebluing my XD, just to make sure it is taken care of, but it has not been an issue yet.
    And if you were not giving me a hard time, I apologize.
    Think that for the most part people were just chiming in with their thoughts and experiences - don't read them as an attack on anyone personally.

The analogy of the busted up hammer is a little strange though. Doubt that any here would carry a firearm in similar condition. :?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.