• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal pre-emption?

Gundude

imported post

As the RTKBA is in the Federal Constitution, is there a possibility that the Feds will take over the gun laws from all the states? Maybe incorporate the 2nd against all the states by way of the P & I clause? A Federal CC permit. Ban on violent felons, persons under a restraining order and mental patients as mentioned in Heller. If they leave "reasonable regulation" to the states there will be endless court cases about what is reasonable.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Gundude wrote:
As the RTKBA is in the Federal Constitution, is there a possibility that the Feds will take over the gun laws from all the states? Maybe incorporate the 2nd against all the states by way of the P & I clause? A Federal CC permit. Ban on violent felons, persons under a restraining order and mental patients as mentioned in Heller. If they leave "reasonable regulation" to the states there will be endless court cases about what is reasonable.

Nope.

Please consult amendment 10. TheFeral government is preventedby the Bill of Rights from interfering with things not specificallydelegated in the constitution.

Gundude

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Gundude wrote:

Nope.

Please consult amendment 10. TheFeral government is preventedby the Bill of Rights from interfering with things not specificallydelegated in the constitution.
but...but...but....Isn't the 2nd amendment specific to the Feds?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Gundude wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
Gundude wrote:

Nope.

but...but...but....Isn't the 2nd amendment specific to the Feds?

You have a point and I had not thought it completely through before posting. I had it in mind to bring up States rights from the perspective that the Federal government could not tell the States what restrictions would be reasonable for their jurisdiction. But as you've pointed out, the Pre-Heller and Pre-McDonald reading of the 2Aappears only applicable to the Federal enclaves when it is convenient and not directly to the States.

This shows us how far afield we have come from 'shall not be infringed' we have traveled. You may be right about the aftermath of McDonald- there are many pending lawsuits to define what is reasonable. When the dust settles, Im sure California will be better for it.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

This all goes back to the Federalist Papers really. There was a good argument presented by the federalists that the inclusion of the bill of rights (which the anti-federalists wanted) would strengthen the federal government by creating a level of ambiguity. If one reads article 1, section 8 of the federal constitution, then it is obvious that the ability to regulate firearms is not enumerated there. There is a very limited set of powers that the feds get to make laws about, and it's all in that one section. Then you add in the bill of rights, which adds in all of these protections for individual's rights.

But why is the bill of rights even needed? The enumerated powers doesn't include the ability to infringe on the right to keep and bear arms, or to restrict the freedom of speech, or the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble. The BoR are basically preventing the feds from doing things that they are already prevented from doing.

Meanwhile, ~230 years later, the federal government has laws that are both not listed in the enumerated powers, and violate the bill of rights. Lucky for us, the second amendment provides the people a way to re-establish our government when our representatives act like total idiots and forget how to read.