• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rights

NRAMARINE

imported post

Simple question. If the govt doesn't "give" us our rights where do they come from then? The constitution does not give the govt it's power, it restricts it. As well the bill of rights does not endow us with our right to keep and bear arms, it restricts the government's ability to tamper with it. Thus as the document states: We hold these truths to be self evident. That all men are endowed BY THEIR CREATOR with the unalienable right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Hef

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
Simple question. If the govt doesn't "give" us our rights where do they come from then? The constitution does not give the govt it's power, it restricts it. As well the bill of rights does not endow us with our right to keep and bear arms, it restricts the government's ability to tamper with it. Thus as the document states: We hold these truths to be self evident. That all men are endowed BY THEIR CREATOR with the unalienable right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Thomas Jefferson believed in the concept of Natural Rights as written by John Locke. John Locke said that Nature (as an entity, encompassing both the real world and whatever deity you worship) grants certain rights to each of us at birth, one of which is the right to defend one's own life, from which the 2nd Amendment is derived.

The Constitution, or more accurately, the Bill of Rights, grants no rights. It merely lists some rights, and limits the authority of government to infringe upon them.

oldgoat

imported post

Hef wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:

Thomas Jefferson believed in the concept of Natural Rights as written by John Locke. John Locke said that Nature (as an entity, encompassing both the real world and whatever deity you worship) grants certain rights to each of us at birth, one of which is the right to defend one's own life, from which the 2nd Amendment is derived.

The Constitution, or more accurately, the Bill of Rights, grants no rights. It merely lists some rights, and limits the authority of government to infringe upon them.
Well said, Hef. Thats exactly right.

estcrh

imported post

Hef wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:

I guess those so called "Natural Rights" did not apply to the slaves scumbags like Jefferson and his cronies OWNED...

LA Confederate

imported post

estcrh wrote:
I guess those so called "Natural Rights" did not apply to the slaves scumbags like Jefferson and his cronies OWNED...

Do you insist on showing your ignorance to the entire world in every thread you troll in? And also, are you really this idiotic or attempting to be funny?

To actually assert that Jefferson and his cronies (I'm guessing you're referring to the other founders) were a bunch of scum bags. All I can say is wow.

Hef

imported post

estcrh wrote:
Hef wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:

Well, if you had an education level above the 6th grade, you might be aware that Jefferson was a lawyer who INHERITED the plantation and it's slaves, and while drafting the Declaration of Independence he had great difficulty with the issue of slavery and it's relationship to declaring freedom. He was greatly conflicted, because he saw the hypocrisy of declaring freedom for all while owning slaves. When the issue was discussed by the Continental Congress, it was decided that the issue of slavery would be addressed at a later date.

Jefferson had a number of slaves who fled, and he made no attempt to retrieve them. While not declaring them free men (and women) outright, it is still an implied declaration of freedom.

But I don't expect you to know that. Hell, you can't even use the term "nazi" correctly. I'm surprised you even know who Jefferson was.

LA Confederate

imported post

Hef wrote:
Well, if you had an education level above the 6th grade, you might be aware that Jefferson was a lawyer who INHERITED the plantation and it's slaves, and while drafting the Declaration of Independence he had great difficulty with the issue of slavery and it's relationship to declaring freedom. He was greatly conflicted, because he saw the hypocrisy of declaring freedom for all while owning slaves. When the issue was discussed by the Continental Congress, it was decided that the issue of slavery would be addressed at a later date.

Jefferson had a number of slaves who fled, and he made no attempt to retrieve them. While not declaring them free men (and women) outright, it is still an implied declaration of freedom.

But I don't expect you to know that. Hell, you can't even use the term "nazi" correctly. I'm surprised you even know who Jefferson was.

Quite right Hef, and I might add that the subject of slavery was not addressed at the feuderal level because it is not within their Constitutionally approved powers. It is strictly a matter that the individual states must contend with, because ultimately it is up to the people of those states to determine what works for them.

But there I go again talking about limited federal power in the strict confines of the original Constitution with all remaining duties relegated to the states; i.e. the "state's rights" argument. I doubt estcrh would be able to grasp those basic concepts.

NRAMARINE

imported post

Hef wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:

I thought I said that. Perhaps I was not clear. My mistake.

Hef

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
Hef wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:

I thought I said that. Perhaps I was not clear. My mistake.
I reiterated what you said with my last 2 sentences. You were clear.

JeepSeller

imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
Hef wrote:

Quite right Hef, and I might add that the subject of slavery was not addressed at the feuderal level because it is not within their Constitutionally approved powers. It is strictly a matter that the individual states must contend with, because ultimately it is up to the people of those states to determine what works for them.

But there I go again talking about limited federal power in the strict confines of the original Constitution with all remaining duties relegated to the states; i.e. the "state's rights" argument. I doubt estcrh would be able to grasp those basic concepts.
Well said both of you. It's a shame that some folks seem content with buying into the abridged, watered down, sterilized, politically correct version of American History taught in public schools and have no interest in learning the REAL history behind our country.

NRAMARINE

imported post

estcrh wrote:
Hef wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:

Do you even open carry? If not why do you insist on trolling?

nimrodder

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

[align=center][size=The Declaration of ][/size][size=Independence!!!][/size][size=][/size][/align]

johnfenter

imported post

Actually, if you read the first 10 amendments, it doesn't read like a recitation of rights that men have; it's more of a list of directions to the Federal government telling them what to keep their dirty stinking paws off of. The First says to the government, Congress shall make no law... the Second says Shall not be infringed... the Fourth says ... shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue... the Fifth has a bunch of prohibitions, and so on. In short, the Bill of Rights is a serial warning to the government not to mess with our birthright of freedom in any way. The rights they are warning the Government about can be inferred from the topics found in each Amendment. And the Ninth and Tenth Amendments are extremely important; we have a bunch of powers and rights as human beings that were too numerous to catalog, so the Founding Fathers added the catch-all's at the end of the document, warning the Government that the other, unenumerated rights were equally off limits.

estcrh

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
estcrh wrote:
Hef wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:

Do you even open carry? If not why do you insist on trolling?
As far as I am concerned your the TROLL..you Jesus freak!!! Go preach some were else you pompous ass.