• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Son in law chased down by thugs after work

DEROS72

imported post

My son in law works way out in Randal.His parents own the TallTimbers bar,motel and resturant.So he drives all the way from Orting and works as bartender.He usually will stay the night and drive home in the morning.

Last night he decided to drive back at about 3m after closing etc.As he was going through Elby a 1 gas station town ,he past said gas station.As he passed he saw a late 70's pick up turn on the lights an burn rubber after him.The truck came up behind him at a high rate of speed and tried to bump him. Dan (my son in law who a lot of you have met) sped up and tried turning off on different roads.The truck kept following trying to catch him.He said he thought he has no weapon on him to defend himself and he's in the middle of no where.Speeds get to almost 90 as he tried to loose the truck.He was driving their Zion.About 20 minutes in he tried calling the cops.Who said it could be a while as no one was available at the time.

He sometimes has his son ,my grandson with him when he works out their.HE was quite thankfull he didn't this occasion.He kept thinking of their Bersa .380 I gave them which he said he didn't really need to carry. After about 40 minutes Dan came to a very sharp curve he new he could make at high speed in the Zion but this old truck couldn't.So he turned and the truck which was almost on his ass spun out into the ditch..and Dan was able to get home.

My daughter called today and said Dan was pretty shook up because it was more than obvious that this was a dangerous situation.She also had a sense of urgency to go to the range and practice.....So my daughter came down and we went to Champion today ..She also said she would be carrying that .380 in the car from now on .They were always the ones somewhat skeptical...It can't happen to me attitude.The have also a renewed sense of urgency in getting their CPL. No telling what could have happened. And the police had no one they could send.I believe it was an attempted robbery or carjack..They were waiting for a lone driver and when he passed they took off after him.Dan said speeds gotr pretty high and it became apparent withoon a minute that it was a chase..He was pretty shook up..

Never leave yourself unprotected ....

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

I'm very glad to hear that he got away and he's alright!! There's no telling what the persuers would have done.

DEROS72 wrote:
...The have also a renewed sense of urgency in getting their CPL...
Isn't it great that a law abiding citizen must wait for the government's permission to carry protection? Personally, I would carry, while waiting for the CPL to go through.

DEROS72

imported post

I told him to do just that..I don't think we need approval to carry a weapon and need to get rid of any politician or LE that thinks so.Personal defense is not a right someone can grant or take away.My weapons will be used more against those that would try to make anti gun laws..I am about fed up with it.!!

tony d tiger

imported post

Scary situation, that. :what:

Glad he was able to use the terrain and his vehicle to advantage - the roads out that way are pretty bad, and there's always the chance of wildlife in the way also.

Heading from Elbe to Orting, sounds like he was going through Eatonville(?) lots of tight corners and narrow lanes - it is fun in the daytime, on a motorcycle... not so much with a 2t (or bigger) pickup truck on yer' butt with malice in mind.

While a handgun, or any weapon, would be of some comfort - those dark roads are no place to initiate contact if it could be avoided. How would he have handled the situation differently, had he been armed? Not saying this to provoke anything but thought - situational awareness and all...

edit: cell signal through that area can be hit-or-miss, too.

DEROS72

imported post

He was going through Eatonville etc.He also thought of his hand gun incase he was run off the road and was cornered.He was trying to avoid contact.It would have given him a chance.He did make a report to police.

tony d tiger

imported post

I wonder if the punks were able to self-extract from the ditch, or needed to call a wrecker... might be worth a follow up with the sheriff/PD.

killchain

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
He was going through Eatonville etc.He also thought of his hand gun incase he was run off the road and was cornered.He was trying to avoid contact.It would have given him a chance.He did make a report to police.
I had something like this happen, but in my case I was armed.

Had 5 bikers corral me Mad Max style in a gas station off an offramp. The "leader" got off his bike and came towards my truck window, reaching into his jeans... so I brought out the .45.

They left. Quickly. I put the .45 away. Didn't even report it, and nothing else happened.

I highly suggest you take them all to the range and get them brushed up on some doubletaps, Deros. :)

DEROS72

imported post

Went to the range today...daughter is becoming fairly proficient with her pistol. We took some pics today I'll post when she sends them to me.They were on her camera.Myu son in law has had Army training from being in the guard.Thats the daughter and son in law that live here.My other son in law was a champion UFC fighter and still trains new fighters.He has also had weapons training.They live in Palm Springs.

Aaron1124

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Went to the range today...daughter is becoming fairly proficient with her pistol. We took some pics today I'll post when she sends them to me.They were on her camera.Myu son in law has had Army training from being in the guard.Thats the daughter and son in law that live here.My other son in law was a champion UFC fighter and still trains new fighters.He has also had weapons training.They live in Palm Springs.
Has your son in law actually fought in the UFC??? Or is he an MMA fighter in general? I'm an avid MMA fan, and have been training in it since 2005. Just thought I'd check to see if I may know who he is or not!

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

All's well that ends well deros. I am glad you didn't have to lose your son in law over some crap like this. That was a very smart move of him to use the advantages over his vehicle handling over the trucks. It sucks that it takes something like this however to make some realize protection ain't a bad idea no matter where you go, whether it is just down the block or to work.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For the past 10-15 years all of my vehicles carry my BUG (Keltec P32). My wife and I both have a CPL and matching BUGs. So if somebody was to take the others car to the store for a quick trip there is a firearm within reach at all times. This is one reason I highly encourage anyone to have a talk with your spouse and that they get a CPL regardless if they ever carry. Then get an inexpensive BUG and leave in each vehicle.

What Poosharker calls my 'butt' gun. (Note: it was the .32acp that started WWI)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Tec_P-32

IMG_0172.jpg

T

TWG2A

imported post

Wow, Deros. I'm glad he was able to escape unharmed.

Will they be at the picnic?

T

TWG2A

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
For the past 10-15 years all of my vehicles carry my BUG (Keltec P32). My wife and I both have a CPL and matching BUGs. So if somebody was to take the others car to the store for a quick trip there is a firearm within reach at all times. This is one reason I highly encourage anyone to have a talk with your spouse and that they get a CPL regardless if they ever carry. Then get an inexpensive BUG and leave in each vehicle.

What Poosharker calls my 'butt' gun. (Note: it was the .32acp that started WWI)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Tec_P-32

IMG_0172.jpg

Cute Gun, gogo. That'd fit in my purse real nicely!

DEROS72

imported post

Yes my son in law was a UFC fighter Steve Thai pain Levy.Both daughters should be at the Willow Lake.Many of you met Dan the one involved in this incident..he hosted the 2A rally in Olympia..

DEROS72

imported post

Anyway it's the perfect example of why carry...The point is if you do carry I believe one must first try to exfil the situation.However if you become cornered and you are armed at least you stand a chance.What if Dan had a blow out or was cut off by these guys unarmed...no telling way out in the middle of no wahere what could have been the outcome.Thugs like that usually don't leave witnesses either.Also that little pocket rocket Gogo has is a good idea..

Now we could go out with him ,get these guys to chase him again and set an ambush.......just thinkin out loud:D

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Deros72 the only thing I would recommend which has not been suggested is that if he was able to drive toward an area that does have Police.
I know this area and it is in the boonies no doubt.

I do not know if he was driving toward home or not but that should be the last choice unless he had friends awaiting his arrival !

This would also enrage me knowing one of my kids where in danger and the perpetrators better get ready to meet their maker for judgment day.
Do not get me wrong, I will not be the judge but I will arrange a meeting.

DEROS72

imported post

I believe thats what he had in mind..He also told me later that he did in fact follow up with the police later after he made it home ..They again said they had no one available to investigate.My concern also is they may know the car and find out where they live.

My daughter Carrie with her Bersa .380 today at Champion.She had a renewed urgency to practice after her husbands incident...

My 2 gun slingin daughters....

=1]
don't%20I%20look%20dangerous.jpg

DEROS72

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
Has your son in law actually fought in the UFC??? Or is he an MMA fighter in general? I'm an avid MMA fan, and have been training in it since 2005. Just thought I'd check to see if I may know who he is or not!
My son in law Steve(Left) in his fight days...

Anyway back to the point.Incidents like this brings back to reality that it could indeed happen to anyone and we need to be as prepared as possible at all times to protect ourselves ,families and those around us.The idea that someone thinks they can legislate that away is beyond ludicrous.We must also protect ourselves against those folks as I think they are potentially the most dangerous.

Batousaii

imported post

Wow thats pretty scary stuff. I am really glad your Son in law is OK. Sometimes those freaky eye openers are what ends up changing a persons reality on the world we live in, and just how easily it really could be one of us, or "happen to me".

Train em well D, i know you will give them good info. Glad all is ok.

Bat.

DEROS72

imported post

My daughter has had to in the past drive that route and now that makes me really nervous.I told them cpl or not keep their firearm in the car when they go out there.Not to stop and confront but in case they are trapped they would stand a chance.I told her keep the mag in the glove box and the pistol in the console untill she gets her CPL.At least it's there and can be ready for use if need be.I will bet a month of muy pension whoever was chasing Dan meant to do harm...