• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Son in law chased down by thugs after work

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
My daughter has had to in the past drive that route and now that makes me really nervous.I told them cpl or not keep their firearm in the car when they go out there.Not to stop and confront but in case they are trapped they would stand a chance.I told her keep the mag in the glove box and the pistol in the console untill she gets her CPL.At least it's there and can be ready for use if need be.I will bet a month of muy pension whoever was chasing Dan meant to do harm...
And if they did it once they will do it again. They could of been watching your son in law another night and will follow him again.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Sounds like Dan did exactly what he should have done. Drive. I'm glad he was able to keep a cool head, avoid making any mental mistakes and getaway without any physical harm.

While this is a gun forum, we should all remember that a gun is not the solution to every problem (as isshown in this instance). Train to run, train to drive, train to evade, and train to shoot. But don't forget, when you are in a car, you have a lot more Ft/LBs of weapon energy than any handgun is going to give you. The gas pedal can be an effective weapon itself. What's that saying about if all you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.... don't limit yourself to thinking your hammer is your only tool.

Wheelgunner

imported post

Some have speculated what to do in this situation.

Pull over.

Find a place with a bit of light and/or a somewhat open area. Do not allow the opponent to block your door or exit so that they can't get to your door. Exit with weapon in hand (finger off the trigger!) and use your car as cover.

Opponent has three choices:

1. Pull over and attack, either from their car or after getting out.

2. Leave after throwing a few curses

3. Leave.

Your response is based on whet the enemy is doing.

I am not sanguine with high speed escapes, as an accident will leave you dazed, bleeding and at the mercy of the enemy, let alone the horror if YOU caused an accident. There is no difference in this situation to you running away from a thug on foot who is armed with a club. As always the 4 options (Fight, Flight, Posture, Submit) apply.

I would prefer to put the situation into my own hands, allowing me to control the outcome, rather than depend on luck or high speed maneuvering and praying as I turn into the driveway that I have not led them to my home or because of my skill, I had sentenced the next victim to death.

Just my opinion.

retrodad

imported post

I've driven that route for years, though never horribly late. And these days when I drive it to visit family (with family in tow), we're never unarmed. Our minivan wouldn't handle all that well on those curves, either.

TheJeepster

imported post

Makes me want to drive that late-night route with a trailing car in radio contact. All armed!

Not that I want to go looking for trouble...but I don't back down if it comes looking for me.

Stoked

imported post

For the past 10-15 years all of my vehicles carry my BUG (Keltec P32). My wife and I both have a CPL and matching BUGs. So if somebody was to take the others car to the store for a quick trip there is a firearm within reach at all times. This is one reason I highly encourage anyone to have a talk with your spouse and that they get a CPL regardless if they ever carry. Then get an inexpensive BUG and leave in each vehicle.

What Poosharker calls my 'butt' gun. (Note: it was the .32acp that started WWI)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Tec_P-32

FFS- I can't get this to post correctly.

Food for thought on your post- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1287397/Crook-collared-experts-examined-picture-hand-holding-stolen-watches.html

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

First you son in law did fine and hopefully he will never be unarmed again to include the daughters.

For those are venting frustration as I feel as well it is never a good idea to plan to go out and seek an encounter as you will place yourself into becoming a willing participant and what protections you would likely have had being threatened could easily disappear.

Likely the statements are just venting and the old saying always apply, be careful of what you wish for as you may get more then one wants.

I urge extreme caution.

It also concerns me that the Sheriffs Office says they do not have time to investigate.

But then there is always a trunk monkey http://www.strimoo.com/video/13419422/Trunk-Monkey-MySpaceVideos.html :celebrate

TheJeepster

imported post

BigDave wrote:
First you son in law did fine and hopefully he will never be unarmed again to include the daughters.

For those are venting frustration as I feel as well it is never a good idea to plan to go out and seek an encounter as you will place yourself into becoming a willing participant and what protections you would likely have had being threatened could easily disappear.

Likely the statements are just venting and the old saying always apply, be careful of what you wish for as you may get more then one wants.

I urge extreme caution.

It also concerns me that the Sheriffs Office says they do not have time to investigate.

But then there is always a trunk monkey http://www.strimoo.com/video/13419422/Trunk-Monkey-MySpaceVideos.html :celebrate

LOVE the trunk monkey!!

As far as placing yourself into becoming a willing participant. Prove it. :D

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Jeepster the point is, if you are charged and you incur the expensive and stress leading up to a trial or even into a trail and then found not guilty.
Now here comes the kicker the Judge or Jury does not accept it was in Self Defense and bang your sunk with the cost.

There are numerous people that have been convicted with the attitude "Prove it" don't be one.

amzbrady

imported post

BigDave wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
glad your SIL is good to go.

I dont know if this is real or not, but I thought it was a good end to a bad start. Funny when tables turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijdOkPD6vsw
It has been around for a few years.
It was found it was made in Canada and it was all setup but pretty good though.
Still a good training tool as to what can happen although going down a gravel road probably wouldnt be a good real life choice, esp not knowing if the attackers have guns too.

tony d tiger

imported post

Talked w/a guy that lives out that way - he told me there is only one deputy to cover that whole area. When he first bought his house, it was broken into and it took them ~8 hours to come take a report.

He also told me if they needed a tow truck, there's only one company, in Eatonville.

Good advice on the unloaded weapon being legal in the vehicle - I didn't know that before meeting you & gogodawgs @ the 15th April TEA party (afterwhich, I started cruising this site - LOTS of good info here).

BrenTen -you left out an option. Nothing says they'll stop before they run into the car in the first place. (Either on purpose OR by accident) ...just sayin'

Oh yeah - one other thing the guy told me: Lot's of times trouble in that area is caused by folk that don't live out that way. Might've been bad'uns looking for trouble, might've been a couple drunks that were looking for "excitement" after the bars closed... hell, they may have been looking to break into the gas station. There's a thought - wonder if the gas station has security camera(s) and could provide a license plate number?

Glad this worked out; sorry it happened.

Be safe.

DEROS72

imported post

Thats isn't the one involved in this...

That is Steve married to my daughter Laurie..They live in Palm Springs..It wasn't him that was involved .

This is Dan the one that was involved and lives in this area.Married to my Oldest Carrie

And I had to throw this in ..Dan took my grandson to his first baseball game...

DEROS72

imported post

Thank you I have been blessed with great girls..I still have a third one in Ca.who is 17.

I have taught them all to shoot and the importance of being prepared to defend yourself.This incident with Dan really drove the point home.They have taken on a new urgency in being prepared..

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Driving faster leads to worse scenarios...

I'd change lanes as quick as I could, then slam on the brakes, leaving him going straight....... If he's trying to follow you into the lane, then he may rear end you, but it's all about timing..

Get in behind him, and one of two things happens.. he slows down, which gives you an opportunity to PIT him, so he's disabled and/or gives you time to get away.. OR he slows down/stops, again, allowing you to avoid a confrontation.

That is, of course, if you feel your life is in danger....

If someone was following me like that, trying to hit me, they've committed vehicular assault, if not assault with a deadly weapon, and I'd treat it as such..

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Driving faster leads to worse scenarios...

I'd change lanes as quick as I could, then slam on the brakes, leaving him going straight....... If he's trying to follow you into the lane, then he may rear end you, but it's all about timing..

Get in behind him, and one of two things happens.. he slows down, which gives you an opportunity to PIT him, so he's disabled and/or gives you time to get away.. OR he slows down/stops, again, allowing you to avoid a confrontation.

That is, of course, if you feel your life is in danger....

If someone was following me like that, trying to hit me, they've committed vehicular assault, if not assault with a deadly weapon, and I'd treat it as such..

I would have to respectfully disagree.

If you read the details. His Son was driving a "Zion" er.. um "Scion" The bad dude or most likely dudes. were driving an old Chevy/Ford 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. That is a full frame, 5500 lbs. of rusty American iron. Scions are funny little plastic boxy looking things. Their center of gravity is surprisingly low so they can corner like a Dodge Viper and though they have Toyota four banger under the hood. The lack of weight enables them to accelerate earlier out of a corner. Pit setting anything bigger than a Dodge Neon will only fold the spaghetti sized steering linkage on that car. Long story short, He done real good by running like hell and keeping it between the fog lines. Any contact was a fight that carwould not win.