• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting OC questions

vettemanc486

imported post

My girlfriend, her parents, and I are going on a camping trip in Jefferson National Forest. I am a little affraid of bears (rightfully so imo) and would like to carry something some whatlarger than my sp101 which I cc (I have my South Carolinacwp) to deal with them if god forbid the need was to arrise.

I have read a bit about VA and OC, but I have not really seen anything regarding if the person is not a resident of the state. Will be staying in the Wythe County area (sorry if I am not spelling this correctly).

I also recall seeing something about minimum age of 18 to OC. Does this apply to the Nation Forest area where we will be camping? I would really feel more comfortable knowing my girl will be armed if I were not with her for whatever reason.

Sorry if these are noob questions or whatever, just looking for some answers.Is there any sort ofcaliber restriction or anything for OC? I am looking toOC a .50ae Desert Eagle in a shoulder holster (for wildlife defense of course). If I OC the DE can I still carry my sp101 concealed?This whole OC thing is new to me, as it is frowned upon (by the law)in my neck of the woods, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for your help,

David

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Here is something from a very recent VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) news item about parks. Hopefully this should give you the info you're looking for.

Virginia has no restrictions on handgun caliber for defensive arms.. only those used for hunting. And the fact you have a SC carry permit makes you clear for carry here.

Jefferson National Forest is part of the Virginia National Park system and therefore, a state park.

BTW, I visit your beautiful state of South Carolina two to three times a year, along the Grand Strand, and have been doing this for over 40 years. I too, would love to see SC go OC as we have here in Virginia. There are no restrictions here in Virginia as to the number of handguns you may wish to carry. Many people OC their primary gun and CC a BUG. BTW, if you wish to carry into a restaurant which serves alcohol for consumption on the premises, you must open carry your firearm. Concealing into such an establishment will not be allowed until next week on July 1st.

Please enjoy your stay.

2. Status of carry in parks

Bert Nunley asked me to clarify the current state of carry in the following locations. Understand that some of these could change in the near future:

Status of Carry in Parks:

Va. National Parks -- concealed carry with CHP and open carry allowed

Va. National Forests -- concealed carry only with permit

Va. State Forests -- no carry at this time (regulations are in the process of being revamped)

Va. State Parks -- concealed carry only with permit

Va. local and regional parks -- concealed carry with CHP and open carry allowed

vettemanc486

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Here is something from a very recent VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) news item about parks. Hopefully this should give you the info you're looking for.

Virginia has no restrictions on handgun caliber for defensive arms.. only those used for hunting. And the fact you have a SC carry permit makes you clear for carry here.

Jefferson National Forest is part of the Virginia National Park system and therefore, a state park.

BTW, I visit your beautiful state of South Carolina two to three times a year, along the Grand Strand, and have been doing this for over 40 years. I too, would love to see SC go OC as we have here in Virginia. There are no restrictions here in Virginia as to the number of handguns you may wish to carry. Many people OC their primary gun and CC a BUG. BTW, if you wish to carry into a restaurant which serves alcohol for consumption on the premises, you must open carry your firearm. Concealing into such an establishment will not be allowed until next week on July 1st.

Please enjoy your stay.

2. Status of carry in parks

Bert Nunley asked me to clarify the current state of carry in the following locations. Understand that some of these could change in the near future:

Status of Carry in Parks:

Va. National Parks -- concealed carry with CHP and open carry allowed

Va. National Forests -- concealed carry only with permit

Va. State Forests -- no carry at this time (regulations are in the process of being revamped)

Va. State Parks -- concealed carry only with permit

Va. local and regional parks -- concealed carry with CHP and open carry allowed
Does that mean that I am not allowed to open carry there?
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I want to be 100% sure so I do not break any laws.
Thanks for your help by the way.

virginiatuck

imported post

And yes, where someone writes the carry status as "concealed carry only with permit" they are implicitly saying that open carry is prohibited.

If you read Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, you'll see that there are very few instances in Virginia where one may carry concealed without a permit. I believe most of them are in subsection (B).

vettemanc486

imported post

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I read something along those lines earlier today, so I guess that question is answered.

Guess I'll just leave the big guns home and just CC my little .357.

Maybe one day SC will become an OC state... the CC laws aren't terribly strick.. so OC is the next logical step :D. Only problem is that there seems to be very few logical people in the government (and public for that matter) around.

Thanks for the allhelp guys and sorry for the noob questions.This will be my first trip to Virginia and I am looking forward to it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

vettemanc486 wrote:
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I read something along those lines earlier today, so I guess that question is answered.

Guess I'll just leave the big guns home and just CC my little .357.

Maybe one day SC will become an OC state... the CC laws aren't terribly strick.. so OC is the next logical step :D. Only problem is that there seems to be very few logical people in the government (and public for that matter) around.

Thanks for the allhelp guys and sorry for the noob questions.This will be my first trip to Virginia and I am looking forward to it.
Please enjoy your visit here.. there is much to see and like in Virginia, a sister Southern state. May I suggest another visit to Williamsburg? I think you would enjoy that trip as well.