• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Guy from Miami

Hurricanes

imported post

Hows it going everyone, new guy from Miami here. I was browsing the state laws on carrying in state/national parks when I came across this site. I must say I never knew so many people were pro-open carry, and as a gun enthusiast its good to know. I feel that open carry is a right that we aren't allowed to take advantage of, and would like to see the states laws changed. That and being in Florida will make carrying alot more comfortable on those 90*+ days.

I do a few questions when it comes to open carry in Florida:

1. I understand that you can open carry while fishing, but how does the to/from work? Does that mean to and from the car to your fishing point, or from your house to your fishing destination without any stops?

2. Do certain fishing points prevent you from open carry? Ex. I have fished at a freshwater lake by my house in the past thats next to a main road, and some housing communities. Would I be able to open carry while fishing from there?

3. Finally does open carrying while camping mean just out in public woods, or at a campsite? A friend of mine has been talking about a bunch of us going on a camping/canoe trip. Its pretty much canoeing by day, and camping by night. He mentioned to me that guns aren't allowed, but he hasn't been there in a few years. I honestly would feel more comfortable carrying, and open carrying in the woods if I could.

Sorry if any of these questions have been answered in the past. Thanks to you guys who answer any. Have a nice, legal, open carry day.

-Joel

brboyer

imported post

1) The going to/from issue is a bit of a problem as you have noted. Most of us think that from home to the fishing spot including any stops necessary form the trip like a stop for gas or bait should be OK.

2) If your fishing location is a legal one, carry is permitted. If you are trespassing to fish, don't!

3) If the camping is on public property, it's perfectly legal and cannot be restricted (if it's not on the restricted location list). If it's on private property, it's still legal, but the property owner can ask that you not carry.

Hurricanes

imported post

Thanks for the reply. The lake I have gone fishing at doesn't have any signs poste for no fishing, and there are always people there fishing, or feeding the ducks that hang out. Either way I'll probably carry a copy of the law on me for those that don't know whats right and wrong.

-Joel

Hurricanes

imported post

I have another question, what do they mean by camping? Is that you can open carry in a state/national park while sitting around your tent, or while your hiking or hanging out in a national park were your currently staying? Thanks

-Joel

brboyer

imported post

Hurricanes wrote:
I have another question, what do they mean by camping? Is that you can open carry in a state/national park while sitting around your tent, or while your hiking or hanging out in a national park were your currently staying? Thanks

-Joel

Camping includes the activities associated with it: Hiking, sightseeing, etc.

Also, camping in this sense is not restricted to juststate/national parks.