• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.40SW

Dreamer

I have heard the .40+p is unstable and un regulated so Ive never touched the stuff. But both my Glock 22 and Glock 23 are running well

If you want a +P in .40 caliber, just go get a Glock 20 or Glock 29. It's a 10mm, which is essentially a magnum loading of the .40S&W cartridge.

Well, ACTUALLY, the 10mm came first. So technically, the .40S&W is a "10mm lite" cartridge... ;)

10mm fans say that the "S&W" in .40S&W stands for "Short & Weak".

I don't mean nothin' by that... I'm just sayin'...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If you want a +P in .40 caliber, just go get a Glock 20 or Glock 29. It's a 10mm, which is essentially a magnum loading of the .40S&W cartridge.

Well, ACTUALLY, the 10mm came first. So technically, the .40S&W is a "10mm lite" cartridge... ;)

10mm fans say that the "S&W" in .40S&W stands for "Short & Weak".

I don't mean nothin' by that... I'm just sayin'...

When the .40S&W first hit the scene after the 1990 Shot Show as I recall, it was soon labeled the "Short and Weak". But its popularity with the police and civilian market exploded and of course, ammunition companies saw the light and created loads to fill the bill. While still not up to the power of a 10mm, and it's not likely to ever match that cartridge, it is a very well positioned SD load to consider.

We all know how the 10mm came to be and how the .40S&W grew out of that (the Miami shootout of 1986). The 9mm also benefited from the mistakes learned in that incident and as a result, 9mm offerings are superb as well. It's sad that something like Miami had to happen to produce the spark needed for more effective loads and calibers. That tends to be the case more often than not. Hitting your target and hitting it effectively is still the best way to stop an attack. Hitting it with quality and proven SD ammo is even better.

Wiley

The 'KaBoom' or KB problem with the .40S&W was traced to a number of things:
(I owned a G27 at the time so I was real interested.)
1. The .40 is a high pressure round (35,000psi SAMMI max).
2. Early Glocks for the .40 were converted 9mm and as such the feed ramp and chambers were redesigned which meant the casehead was unsupported in the chamber.
3. If the pistol was fired in a slightly out of battery condition the resulting over pressure tended to blow out the magazine and destroy the pistol. Generally the shooter was unharmed but left with this espression: :shocker:.

Another problem is/was bullet set back. And this applies to any cartrige. Just one or two thousandths set back can increase the pressure beyond what the pistol can contain. Always check that all cartridges are within spec. before use.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
My P229R Equinox 40/357 sig

I'm looking to get my first handgun soon, and I've looked around and decided on a SIG P229. Now, I'm deciding on the caliber, and I want to get it in .40SW, but I've heard that they're prone to failure. Has anyone heard anything about this?

The only failure I had was with the front night sight and sig sent me a replacement but they are only warranted for 2000 rounds ...their recommendation was to have the gun serviced by them and have the adjustable combat sights fitted at the same time check the sig website for details. Never had a FTF or FTF or FTE on this weapon with thousands of rounds through it :) an excellent tool

dirty_sanchez

(.40 +P )

There is indeed .40 S&W +P ammunition. Buffalo Bore makes it. Perhaps others as well.

Magtech Guardian Gold is not labeled +P but it sure as hell is hot enough to seem like it too.

There have been way too many instances of BB being a bit overly ambitious on their velocity claims which have been verified by chronos. It is hot stuff from what I have heard though.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
(.40 +P )

There is indeed .40 S&W +P ammunition. Buffalo Bore makes it. Perhaps others as well.

Magtech Guardian Gold is not labeled +P but it sure as hell is hot enough to seem like it too.

I am aware that there are a few manufacturers which advertise .40S&W +P loadings, however as far as I know, SAAMI does not recognize any +P .40S&W loads. That was what I was referencing in my statement.