• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Within his right?

TheFreeman

imported post

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/23975809/detail.html

NC Man Kills Son Who Was Trying To Break Into HomePosted: 10:28 am EDT June 21, 2010
SANFORD, N.C. -- Sheriff's deputies in North Carolina say a man who feared for his life shot and killed his son as he was trying to break into his father's home.Lee County Sheriff's deputies said 71-year-old Neil Miller of Cary shot and killed 48-year-old Ricky Dean Miller late Friday.A sheriff's report says Neil Miller told dispatchers his son threatened to kill him if he didn't open the door. Deputies say Ricky Miller had been staying with his father since getting out of prison in Virginia, but the younger man had been gone about a week.Neil Miller says when his son kicked out a door panel, he fired a shotgun through the door.Capt. Jeff Johnson says investigators are meeting with prosecutors to decide whether to file charges.[align=RIGHT]Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/align]
I know there are probably details left out, but N. Miller (father) would have been perfectly within his NC right to have fired through the door at R. Miller (son), since R. Miller was making life threats on an occupant of the home, then forcefully entering the home.

:question:

elixin77

imported post

My understanding is that you can shoot at someone while they are breaking into your house, but once they are inside, then you have to be in a life threatening situation to shoot at them.

Based on what I know, I'd say he was in the right.

I could be wrong though

farkles

imported post

Solely based on the details provided here, it appears he was clearly within his rights. There may be more details to come.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

If the information reported was complete and accurate, seems to me it was a good shoot although very unfortunate for both parties involved. I'm sure the emotional stigma of shooting a son will remain with this guy for the rest of his life, no matter what the sons intentions were.

Dreamer

imported post

Ah, the story unfolds...

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7823730/

Ricky Dean Miller (the deceased son) recently got out of prison in VA (five months ago) and was kicked out of his fathers house last week, and then disappeared.

His father said he thought his son was drunk, and warned him he was armed, but the son kicked a panel out of their front door, attempting to break the door down. that is when the father shot him. The father told police he was in fear for his life...

A drunk, violent ex-con shouting threats and attempting to forcibly enter a dwelling.

A father who tried to give him a new start by giving him a place to stay.

I know how I would vote if I were on the jury...

But we need to remember that no matter how drunk or violent this punk was, the guy who shot him was his FATHER. And the memory of this incident is going to haunt him for the rest of his life.

It's one thing to shoot some anonymous, unknown thug who is attempting a home invasion.

It's another thing entirely, to have to use lethal force in self-defense against a family member, even if that family member was drunk, violent, and a convicted felon...

This whole story is tragic, and nothing good will come of it, even if the father is completely cleared of any wrongdoing...