• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CWP Confusion

Boudeccea

imported post

I live in Myrtle Beach, SC and am a bit confused about my CWP.I know I am legally allowed to defend my home. However my question is, am I legally allowed to defend my vehicle? I know that there is aresponsibility to retreat in public so I wasn't sure if someone accosts me in my vehicle (say at an ATM), can I use deadly force if I must?

One other question. Legally in SC, what is a CWP holders responsibility in the event of the commission of a crime? In other words, what if I am at the grocery store and it is being robbed. Can I assist?

Thanks!

Kelly

Boudeccea

imported post

Thanks. I will do that. I didn't want to seem stupid but these are things a girl needs to know before she goes pulling her gun!:lol:

dadpharm

imported post

Here in sc you have a castle doctgrine.Your car business and even otel room are an exten of your home and you have no duty to retreat. also if you are anywhere you hace a legal right to e you ave no duty to rtreat. Check out sc cwp laws. Allen Arms in Greenviile hasa copyfot sale nd it will answer all questions

PT111

SC has both Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws so it does not matter where you are as long as you have a right to be there. That means your home, your car, the ATM machine or on the sidewalk as long as you are legally there. As others have said your instructor did a very poor job if you got away without knowing that.

As for your responsibility, they are the same as someone without a CWP. A CWP does not make you a deputy nor does it require you to do anything you anything more than you did before. The only difference is now you can carry your weapon concealed without being arrested except in those places that are stated in the code.

sledcwp@live

No duty to retreat!

If you are any place you have a right to be, that is not posted No Concealable Weapons, There is no longer a duty to retreat! The standard is, you must be in fear for your life or fear of great bodily harm. Your only consideration is the difference between Criminal and Civil Law! So be certain to eliminate the the threat, which also eliminates that potential conflicting witness in a civil action. I'm a SLED certified CWP instructor if you have any questions call me, 803-516-2373 Jim Black, SLED Instructor #200900999

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Welcome Mr. Black.

Please cite the South Carolina Statute IAW OCDO RULE (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

sultan62

I'll be coming down to SC around Christmas and I'm trying to find out what I need to know. I know where the concealed weapons law is, but if SC law is anything like NC law, there are some laws located in other areas.

Anything in particular I need to know?