• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unintended Consequences: Would you kill a wolf in self-defense?

Dave Workman

imported post

Unintended Consequences of hugging fur: Would you kill a wolf in self-defense?

Wolf advocates, and bear protectionists are much like mountain lion saviors. They understandably don’t want their favorite animals harmed, claim these predators only take down weak animals and so rarely attack people that it’s a non-issue. Recent current events say otherwise; the bear, wolf or cougar attack is darned important to the person it happens to.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m6d21-The-unintended-consequences-of-hugging-fur-Would-you-kill-a-wolf-or-bear-in-selfdefense

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/22pfs48

Jack House

imported post

Yeah, I would. If I felt it was necessary.

I don't like hearing stories about wolves being killed, they're one of my favorite animals. But I also understand that sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter. I for one would much rather kill a wolf than risk serious injury, how could I demand differently of others?

dj_fatstyles

imported post

Jack House wrote:
Yeah, I would. If I felt it was necessary.

I don't like hearing stories about wolves being killed, they're one of my favorite animals. But I also understand that sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter. I for one would much rather kill a wolf than risk serious injury, how could I demand differently of others?

i agree with you jack, 100%

my favorite animal is anything in the cat family but if i saw a mountain lion staring me down i wouldn't hesitate to put it down or any animal for that matter. i just think it should be done quickly without unneeded suffering. just my .12 (new washington tax:cuss:)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In self-defense, I would kill anything attacking me, wolf or otherwise.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

(Dave, thanks for the link to NWHikers.net, I have been reading the Nat'l Parks thread, very predictable.... and now so much later.... no rampant shootings, no massive poaching.....)

Aryk45XD

imported post

I'd kill anything that threatened my life.
Back in Texas on my ranch we have a mountain lion. Since he's been there I have seen the deer population wither away and replaced by javalin. I have also seen him stalking me by bedding by the house and showing up when I was hunting. I have taken one shot at him while he came into a clearing about 25yds from me. Damn they are FAST! This has gone on for about 12yrs and I have seen him grow a lot bigger.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Self Defense is a right that is pre-existing and protected of all life. Wolves have teeth and claws (among other animals) to defend themselves against other animals, and they can and have killed other members of their own species. Why are humans treated any differently than wolves in this regard?

I myself have a spiritual affinity for wolves and coyotes. My husband has a spiritual affinity for cougars. This is partly due to our creed and religious beliefs. I have a Wolf calendar behind me. That doesn't mean that either one of us would have a problem with dealing with an animal attacking us one on one, or in a pack, if by using a firearm or a crossbow.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I hear they are paying people 150 bucks up north to shoot them...I would make a weekend out of it if that were true.

Aryk45XD

imported post

I'd hate to think about it....so I probably wouldn't. It would just be done. Wolves have a special place in my heart. The wolf is my spirit animal. (father is the lion and brother is the bear) My dad's best friend had a small pack of wolves as pets on his land when I was a kid. They loved me and I respected them.

USMC1911

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
In self-defense, I would kill anything attacking me, wolf or otherwise.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

(Dave, thanks for the link to NWHikers.net, I have been reading the Nat'l Parks thread, very predictable.... and now so much later.... no rampant shootings, no massive poaching.....)
+1 If it is me or it/them, I choose me.

T

TWG2A

imported post

YES AND YES.

I have, and I would again.No question, and no hesitation whatsoever. These two "rascals" would have shred me to pieces if I weren't carrying during my afternoon hike that day. Their razor sharp claws were longer then my fingers. 7' tails and 7' bodies.

Here in Montana it's a real heated issue, but what people need to understand is that they have ABSOLOUTELY no right to make me a victim.

And please, no jokes about my hairdo. It was in the '80's.

T

TWG2A

imported post

And if I saw one of these monsters coming toward me, you can believe I will shoot. A LOT.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
...i'd kill a furby if it attacked.
Seriously? They are so cute and cuddly. Why would you do that?!?

Don't get me wrong... Personally, I have shot my share of Roombas in my time. They were coming after me and there was nothing I could do. No stairs in sight!