Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unintended Consequences: Would you kill a wolf in self-defense?

Post imported post

Unintended Consequences of hugging fur: Would you kill a wolf in self-defense?

Wolf advocates, and bear protectionists are much like mountain lion saviors. They understandably don’t want their favorite animals harmed, claim these predators only take down weak animals and so rarely attack people that it’s a non-issue. Recent current events say otherwise; the bear, wolf or cougar attack is darned important to the person it happens to.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m6d21-The-unintended-consequences-of-hugging-fur-Would-you-kill-a-wolf-or-bear-in-selfdefense

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/22pfs48

Post imported post

Yeah, I would. If I felt it was necessary.

I don't like hearing stories about wolves being killed, they're one of my favorite animals. But I also understand that sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter. I for one would much rather kill a wolf than risk serious injury, how could I demand differently of others?

Post imported post

Jack House wrote:
    Yeah, I would. If I felt it was necessary.

I don't like hearing stories about wolves being killed, they're one of my favorite animals. But I also understand that sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter. I for one would much rather kill a wolf than risk serious injury, how could I demand differently of others?
    i agree with you jack, 100%

my favorite animal is anything in the cat family but if i saw a mountain lion staring me down i wouldn't hesitate to put it down or any animal for that matter. i just think it should be done quickly without unneeded suffering. just my .12 (new washington tax)

Post imported post

In self-defense, I would kill anything attacking me, wolf or otherwise.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

(Dave, thanks for the link to NWHikers.net, I have been reading the Nat'l Parks thread, very predictable.... and now so much later.... no rampant shootings, no massive poaching.....)
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

The answer to the headline question is "Yes."
    Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. -The Who

Post imported post

I'd kill anything that threatened my life.
    Back in Texas on my ranch we have a mountain lion. Since he's been there I have seen the deer population wither away and replaced by javalin. I have also seen him stalking me by bedding by the house and showing up when I was hunting. I have taken one shot at him while he came into a clearing about 25yds from me. Damn they are FAST! This has gone on for about 12yrs and I have seen him grow a lot bigger.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Self Defense is a right that is pre-existing and protected of all life. Wolves have teeth and claws (among other animals) to defend themselves against other animals, and they can and have killed other members of their own species. Why are humans treated any differently than wolves in this regard?

I myself have a spiritual affinity for wolves and coyotes. My husband has a spiritual affinity for cougars. This is partly due to our creed and religious beliefs. I have a Wolf calendar behind me. That doesn't mean that either one of us would have a problem with dealing with an animal attacking us one on one, or in a pack, if by using a firearm or a crossbow.

Post imported post

Hell yeah i would kill a wolf, i'd kill a furby if it attacked.

Post imported post

I hear they are paying people 150 bucks up north to shoot them...I would make a weekend out of it if that were true.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
    +1 My setiment exactly.

Post imported post

If it must be done, so be it.

Post imported post

I'd hate to think about it....so I probably wouldn't. It would just be done. Wolves have a special place in my heart. The wolf is my spirit animal. (father is the lion and brother is the bear) My dad's best friend had a small pack of wolves as pets on his land when I was a kid. They loved me and I respected them.

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

(Dave, thanks for the link to NWHikers.net, I have been reading the Nat'l Parks thread, very predictable.... and now so much later.... no rampant shootings, no massive poaching.....)
    +1 If it is me or it/them, I choose me.
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    Exactly, and I chose the former, not the later.

I wouldn't even think twice.

Post imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    Exactly, and I chose the former, not the later.

I wouldn't even think twice.
    +1
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

TWG2A

Post imported post

YES AND YES.

I have, and I would again.No question, and no hesitation whatsoever. These two "rascals" would have shred me to pieces if I weren't carrying during my afternoon hike that day. Their razor sharp claws were longer then my fingers. 7' tails and 7' bodies.

Here in Montana it's a real heated issue, but what people need to understand is that they have ABSOLOUTELY no right to make me a victim.

And please, no jokes about my hairdo. It was in the '80's.

TWG2A

Post imported post

And if I saw one of these monsters coming toward me, you can believe I will shoot. A LOT.

TWG2A

Post imported post

Or this one.....

TWG2A

Post imported post

Or one like this....

bang.

Post imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
    ...i'd kill a furby if it attacked.
    Seriously? They are so cute and cuddly. Why would you do that?!?

Don't get me wrong... Personally, I have shot my share of Roombas in my time. They were coming after me and there was nothing I could do. No stairs in sight!
    IBTL

Post imported post

No, not for self-defense
    I'd do it for sport
    Anytime the law allows
    and it is now allowed in ID, MT, and elsewhere

TWG2A

Post imported post

roomba - the robot floor cleaners?

Take a look at the size of this bear!!!

A 70 year old man was just killed here by my place this weekend. Hiking with no firearm and no bear spray.

Turns out the grizzly was captured by rangers near Yellowstone, drugged and checked. They left it in a spot by a creek to awaken but they didn't post the (required by law) signs to let people know there was a grizzly in the area recovering from anesthetic. They (the rangers) are supposed to post those signs when they leave a bear like that so hikers won't go near the area and they didn't. Guy goes out for an afternoon hike and doesn't come back for two hours. Wife calls rangers and they return to the area they left the grizzly to find the elderly man ripped to shreds.

edit: not this bear.

I will NEVER go hiking in these parts without a BIG gun and lots of ammo.

TWG2A

Post imported post

Montana Yard Sign

Post imported post

TWG2A wrote:
    roomba - the robot floor cleaners?
    Exactly! They are very intimidating things!! One came right up behind me and started to attack! To date, I have had to put 3 of them down. All 3 times, the Roomba had managed to get inside the house!!!! Scary
    IBTL

Post imported post

Very timely topic... I walked out the front door this morning to find our local black bear (who is normally very shy) less than 10 feet from the front door checking out my car (maybe the kids left some food under the car seat....) Yelled at him, which surprisingly got no reaction other than a snort....pulled the pistol as I moved back inside, bear following (not deliberately challenging / threatening just wandering where he wanted to go....towards the kitchen) figured a shot into the woodpile might make him decide the porch is MY territory....pulled the trigger and heard the horrid sound "click", :what:I ducked inside swearing a blue streak as I discovered my revolver and later discovered the other guns had been unloaded.... (turns out the now FORMER girlfriend, when she was over, decided to "prove" you don't need a loaded gun in the house, - being as how there is always plenty of time to find ammo, remove locks, load and return to the fight...)

Called the rangers who said they will look into it but unless he is quite threatening, or destroying property it is not an issue....they will look into this one as ol big butt didn't run for the hills but.... They did note that bears are very hungry right now....long hibernation, no berries due to no decent spring / summer weather, etc etc etc

Lessons
    1. look out the windows before exiting the house in bear country, in spring
    2. Be aware of the local berry count in spring time.
    3. Keep more bear repellent on hand.
    4. Keep opinionated folks who don't grasp the situation away from the house - or maybe just outside it....
    5. Doing chores can be hazardous to your health!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast