• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unintended Consequences: Would you kill a wolf in self-defense?

T

TWG2A

imported post

roomba - the robot floor cleaners?

Take a look at the size of this bear!!!

A 70 year old man was just killed here by my place this weekend. Hiking with no firearm and no bear spray.

Turns out the grizzly was captured by rangers near Yellowstone, drugged and checked. They left it in a spot by a creek to awaken but they didn't post the (required by law) signs to let people know there was a grizzly in the area recovering from anesthetic. They (the rangers) are supposed to post those signs when they leave a bear like that so hikers won't go near the area and they didn't. Guy goes out for an afternoon hike and doesn't come back for two hours. Wife calls rangers and they return to the area they left the grizzly to find the elderly man ripped to shreds.

edit: not this bear.

I will NEVER go hiking in these parts without a BIG gun and lots of ammo.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

TWG2A wrote:
roomba - the robot floor cleaners?
Exactly! They are very intimidating things!! One came right up behind me and started to attack! To date, I have had to put 3 of them down. All 3 times, the Roomba had managed to get inside the house!!!! Scary :uhoh:

Lante

imported post

Very timely topic... I walked out the front door this morning to find our local black bear (who is normally very shy) less than 10 feet from the front door checking out my car (maybe the kids left some food under the car seat....) Yelled at him, which surprisingly got no reaction other than a snort....pulled the pistol as I moved back inside, bear following (not deliberately challenging / threatening just wandering where he wanted to go....towards the kitchen) figured a shot into the woodpile might make him decide the porch is MY territory....pulled the trigger and heard the horrid sound "click", :what:I ducked inside swearing a blue streak as I discovered my revolver and later discovered the other guns had been unloaded.... (turns out the now FORMER girlfriend, when she was over, decided to "prove" you don't need a loaded gun in the house, - being as how there is always plenty of time to find ammo, remove locks, load and return to the fight...) :banghead:

Called the rangers who said they will look into it but unless he is quite threatening, or destroying property it is not an issue....they will look into this one as ol big butt didn't run for the hills but.... They did note that bears are very hungry right now....long hibernation, no berries due to no decent spring / summer weather, etc etc etc

Lessons
1. look out the windows before exiting the house in bear country, in spring
2. Be aware of the local berry count in spring time.
3. Keep more bear repellent on hand.
4. Keep opinionated folks who don't grasp the situation away from the house - or maybe just outside it....:lol:
5. Doing chores can be hazardous to your health!

T

TWG2A

imported post

Here's another one from this morning here in Missoula... there's been a few of these the past few weeks...The bear was giving the guy a little nibble on the earlobe while he slept.

Jun 21, 5:09 PM EDT
Camper injured by bear near St. Regis

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) -- Montana wildlife officials say a Washington state man was injured by a black bear that bit through his tent at a primitive campsite in the Lolo National Forest in western Montana.

Fish, Wildlife and Parks wardens say Rob Holmes of Ellensburg, Wash., was awakened at about 4:30 a.m. Monday when he felt an animal bite his ear lobe. It took 21 stitches to close the wound.

Warden Capt. Jeff Darrah says it appears the bear was drawn into the area by food and other attractants that were left at a nearby camp site.

The U.S. Forest Service campground southwest of St. Regis will be closed while officials try to capture the bear. FWP Regional Supervisor Mack Long says if they can find the bear they'll euthanize it because it has become habituated to human food.

Source - http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MT_BEAR_INJURES_CAMPER_MTOL-?SITE=MTBOZ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Jayd1981

imported post

Out of curiousity and because some of you know much more than me I'm sure. What caliber (handgun) would be sufficient for bear? Would you consider a .45 acp as adequate (sp?) protection in the woods?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
Out of curiousity and because some of you know much more than me I'm sure. What caliber (handgun) would be sufficient for bear? Would you consider a .45 acp as adequate (sp?) protection in the woods?
FWIU a 9mm is fine if you shoot the bear in the nose...good luck LOL.

I carry 00 Buck and slugs in my 12 gauge when in bear country alone or with my kids. Just like any firearm though, my handgun will be used if that is all I have, I will do the best I can with what I have.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

TWG2A wrote:
Fish, Wildlife and Parks wardens say Rob Holmes of Ellensburg, Wash., was awakened at about 4:30 a.m. Monday when he felt an animal bite his ear lobe. It took 21 stitches to close the wound.
Rob must have giant ear lobes if it took 21 stiches to close the wound LOL

I carry either a 44 Magnum or a 454, I dont know if I would trust a 45 ACP to have enough penitration on a bear.

Lante

imported post

This website provides the actual permanent wound channel created by a flat meplat design bullet when combined with projectile STRIKING velocity (not muzzle velocity) is entered.

[font="Verdana,Arial"]http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/wound.htm
[/font]
[font="Verdana,Arial"]
there are several other calculators on the site relating to ballistics at

http://www.martindalecenter.com/Calculators4_2_Mech.html#MECH-BALL-ALL

[/font]

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
Maybe I will need to carry my Five-seveN while in bear county. Gotta love rifle penetraion in a pistol with 30 round mag capacity.

Lots of penitration but not much of a wound channel.

I have shot bears with a .338 win mag through the heart and lungs and they didnt go down right away. Sylvia has the right idea ifI knewI wasgoing to tangle with a bear it would be a 12 ga loaded as follows 00 buck, slug, 00 buck, slug etc. Bears are just plain hard to kill.

Jayd1981

imported post

My only problem is I don't plan on having a rifle or shotgun on me while not hunting. I don't really want to be the next test case for open carrying a rifle.

T

TWG2A

imported post

Perhaps.... but you would want to carry one out hiking here in MT or some other similar place with a lot of big game around.

I OC a .45, but a hunting rifle or shotgun would be much better for bear. As previous post indicates, 12g/oo buck or at least a 300 or 338 for bear. 3-06 would be ok if you're a decent shot.

I shot those cats with a 7mm.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I buy a combination tag (Deer, bear, cougar) every year, but most of my hunting is for Bear. If by chance I encounter a deer or cougar, oh well I have the tag. My first hunt is for bear. I carry a 44 mag and a 20" barrel semi auto 12 Ga loaded w/ slugs.

Aaron1124

imported post

In immediate self defense, and as a last resort, just as if it were a human attacker. Is there anyone that would NOT use deadly force if they were fearful of being killed?

amzbrady

imported post

I dont think I would want to come face to face with a bear, with anything less than a 44, I think my first choice would be a S/W 500 as far as fire arms go.

Bersa.380

imported post

TWG2A wrote:
YES AND YES.

I have, and I would again.No question, and no hesitation whatsoever. These two "rascals" would have shred me to pieces if I weren't carrying during my afternoon hike that day. Their razor sharp claws were longer then my fingers. 7' tails and 7' bodies.

Here in Montana it's a real heated issue, but what people need to understand is that they have ABSOLOUTELY no right to make me a victim.

And please, no jokes about my hairdo. It was in the '80's.
Nice hair !!!!!!!!!

Bersa.380

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
I dont think I would want to come face to face with a bear, with anything less than a 44, I think my first choice would be a S/W 500 as far as fire arms go.
S&W .500 ... ...

I rented one at NorPoint Shooting Range, the pistol and 5 shots for $25.00, I shot 3 round and my friend shot 2 .... our hands hurt afterward.

350 gr bullet @ 1975 feet per second = 3,000 foot ponds of energy, it'll drop a grizz.