Thread: Becoming a Firearms Instructor in MD

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland

Post imported post

According to the MSP Licensing Division's FAQ on firearms laws, you have to be a certified firearms instructor for one year before you can become a Qualified Firearms Instructor in MD...

http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/Licensing_Faq.pdf
    Q. How do I obtain a Qualified Handgun Instructor application?

A. You may pick up an application in person at the Licensing Division located
    at 1111 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD 21208, or you may call the
    Licensing Division at 410-653-4500 and ask for the Handgun Permit
    Administrative Unit to request for an application to be mailed. You must
    already be certified as a firearm instructor and have worked as a firearms
    instructor for at least one year prior to applying.
    So let me get this straight...

Before you can be a firearms instructer in MD, you have to be a firearms instructer in MD for a year...

Just how does THAT one work?...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Before you can be a firearms instructer in MD, you have to be a firearms instructer in MD for a year...

I read it as "Before you can be a firearms instructor in MD, you have to be a firearms instructorfor a year... (doesnt say in Maryland)
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland

Post imported post

If your interpretation is correct, they recognize experience as an instructor from other states.

That would seem odd, considering that in MD, they don't even recognize LEO credentials as being legitimate under LEOSA in some counties and cities...

And they don;t recognize CC permits from ANY state (some would say, not even their own, if you don't have a badge...)

I just find it odd that they would require you have 1 year of instructor experience from ANOTHER STATE if you want to get MD certification...

Do you have MD Certification? (I can't see why ANYONE would be--not much money in it, I'd imagine, since they pretty much don't issue permits, and there are so few good ranges...)
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Do you have MD Certification? (I can't see why ANYONE would be--not much money in it, I'd imagine, since they pretty much don't issue permits, and there are so few good ranges...)
    I do not have it, as I can't see how it would benefit me in any way.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/