• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Becoming a Firearms Instructor in MD

Dreamer

imported post

According to the MSP Licensing Division's FAQ on firearms laws, you have to be a certified firearms instructor for one year before you can become a Qualified Firearms Instructor in MD...

http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/Licensing_Faq.pdf
Q. How do I obtain a Qualified Handgun Instructor application?

A. You may pick up an application in person at the Licensing Division located
at 1111 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD 21208, or you may call the
Licensing Division at 410-653-4500 and ask for the Handgun Permit
Administrative Unit to request for an application to be mailed. You must
already be certified as a firearm instructor and have worked as a firearms
instructor for at least one year prior to applying.
So let me get this straight...

Before you can be a firearms instructer in MD, you have to be a firearms instructer in MD for a year...

Just how does THAT one work?...

Dreamer

imported post

If your interpretation is correct, they recognize experience as an instructor from other states.

That would seem odd, considering that in MD, they don't even recognize LEO credentials as being legitimate under LEOSA in some counties and cities...

And they don;t recognize CC permits from ANY state (some would say, not even their own, if you don't have a badge...)

I just find it odd that they would require you have 1 year of instructor experience from ANOTHER STATE if you want to get MD certification...

Do you have MD Certification? (I can't see why ANYONE would be--not much money in it, I'd imagine, since they pretty much don't issue permits, and there are so few good ranges...)