• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gather Your Armies

eye95

imported post

Someone else had posted this in the General forum. The another poster decided to post a bunch of unrelated trash in the thread. Between his posts and a second troll's posts, the thread became the first one I have seen deleted at OCDO. Usually, they lock threads. This one was so trashed that they felt the need to delete it. What a shame.

Anyway, I am not posting this to discuss the deleted topic. I just wanted to note why I am reposting the video here.

This is Rick's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQ7ZDUutU4

Please use this thread to discuss Rick, his video, and his 2A support.

If you are interested in being in the next ad, PM me as soon as possible. The video will be shot at Noon tomorrow. I'll PM you the location.

eye95

imported post

You can still volunteer, donate, or be in the ad. PM me if you want to be in the ad. Noon tomorrow.

jaiotu

imported post

I personally think Rick's ads have been a bit over the top.

The "gather your armies" video mis-characterizes the Revolutionary War as being about a "tea tax." The Declaration of Independence actually lists about 27 grievances against the Crown of England. Taxation was only one of these.

The overall tone of that video borders on sedition. Unlike our revolutionary fore-fathers, we have the ability to vote those in political office out of those offices. We don't need to talk about "gathering armies," we need to talk about gathering voters. But then, Rick's recent ads have been less about substance and more about sensation.

I actually supported Rick up until his two most recent videos. After viewing them, I'm not sure Rick understands what it means to stand up for Liberty and how taxation itself is no cause for rebellion within a Constitutional government. Geo. Washington himself led the army to end the Whiskey Rebellion which sought to forcibly end the Federal Government's taxation of that exalted elixir.

Cypher

imported post

Personally, I think he's just saying what he thinks people want to hear, & that once he gets in he'll do an about face.

eye95

imported post

I have personally sat down with the man on several occasions. What he says in his ads is who he is. He is not a politician. He entered politics because he does not like what he sees going on in Washington.

I believe him. I respect that you do not.

For those who want to learn more about Rick than his ads show, check out the only debate that included all four primary candidates. You can go to http://vimeo.com/channels/102140 to view the debate. It is in several parts.

Rick stood head and shoulder above the other candidates. He spoke specifics, while the others spoke in platitudes.

Thundar

imported post

jaiotu wrote:
I personally think Rick's ads have been a bit over the top.

The "gather your armies" video mis-characterizes the Revolutionary War as being about a "tea tax." The Declaration of Independence actually lists about 27 grievances against the Crown of England. Taxation was only one of these.

The overall tone of that video borders on sedition. Unlike our revolutionary fore-fathers, we have the ability to vote those in political office out of those offices. We don't need to talk about "gathering armies," we need to talk about gathering voters. But then, Rick's recent ads have been less about substance and more about sensation.

I actually supported Rick up until his two most recent videos. After viewing them, I'm not sure Rick understands what it means to stand up for Liberty and how taxation itself is no cause for rebellion within a Constitutional government. Geo. Washington himself led the army to end the Whiskey Rebellion which sought to forcibly end the Federal Government's taxation of that exalted elixir.
The wiskey tax was unconstitutional and George was a tyrant and a traitor.

eye95

imported post

Well, we finished shooting. Deacon Blues and Mrs. Deacon Blues were there too. I don't know if another OCDO or ALOC member was there. I passed the details along to a few folks, some of whom I don't know by sight, so they may have been there and I didn't notice.

Rick had a few "special guest stars" (besides Washington and Lincoln): Dale Peterson (with his rifle) and Lewis Shaeffer (with his fourth verse of the National Anthem).

Anyway, the video will be released on Sunday. Look for it!

ETA: Rick addresses the Whiskey Tax. I don't know if that scene made the final cut, though. But, this thread is not about the Whiskey Tax. If you wish to go off-topic onto that, may I suggest General Discussions?

Deacon Blues

imported post

He started out right, but I saw his finger slip inside the guard a few times. Let's not even mention muzzle awareness...

I was going to say something about it, but he slipped out while I was stuffing my face with pizza.

jaiotu

imported post

eye95 wrote:
ETA: Rick addresses the Whiskey Tax. I don't know if that scene made the final cut, though. But, this thread is not about the Whiskey Tax. If you wish to go off-topic onto that, may I suggest General Discussions
This thread might not be about the Whiskey Tax, but it is about Rick Barber... I'd be interested to hear how Rick categorized the Whiskey Tax, and hope it does make the final cut (I doubt it will. 30 Second advertisements don't give time to develop complex political theories.)

...however, the U.S. Constitution DOES give Congress the power to levy taxes. The Whiskey Tax was one of the first attempts to do so. Anyone who wishes to charge Gen. Geo Washington with treason... well, they just don't understand the Constitution or American History and the material issues behind the Revolution. That said, from a philosophical perspective, the colonies lost a lot of high ground when they ratified the Constitution in favor over the Articles of Confederation.

I'd be glad to take that conversation into "General Discussion," however, I'm not sure how it relates to Concealed Carry or how this thread on Rick Barber relates to Alabama Concealed Carry either.

eye95

imported post

Ya know, the first thread about this video was deleted after it got trashed with unrelated foreign affairs talk.

I would just ask again, please, keep this on topic about the video. If you wish to start a thread regarding the Whiskey Tax or Rick's take on it, please start another thread.

Again, all I am asking for (asking) is a common courtesy. Thanks.

Kingfish

imported post

jaiotu wrote:
I'm not sure how it relates to Concealed Carry or how this thread on Rick Barber relates to Alabama Concealed Carry either.
You do know this is an OPEN CARRY forum right?

I am thinking this thread matters to OPEN CARRY because pro-2A legislatures advances the cause (making permits shall issue, unlicensed car carry, Vermont style OC/CC, help with law enforcement agencies, repeal of "-52", clearer/better worded disorderly conduct laws, tax reduction(so there is more money for ammo and OC holsters) and the list goes on.)

eye95

imported post

kingfish wrote:
jaiotu wrote:
I'm not sure how it relates to Concealed Carry or how this thread on Rick Barber relates to Alabama Concealed Carry either.

I am thinking this thread matters to OPEN CARRY because pro-2A legislatures advances the cause (making permits shall issue, unlicensed car carry, Vermont style OC/CC, help with law enforcement agencies, repeal of "-52", clearer/better worded disorderly conduct laws, tax reduction(so there is more money for ammo and OC holsters) and the list goes on.)
Rick is a 2A supporter. Being that he is a man of conviction, I trust him to come down on the side of RKBA every time.

Anyway, here is your OC connection: The followup video will feature an openly carried firearm.

jaiotu

imported post

kingfish wrote:

Ha ha. Yeah. I know it's OPEN CARRY. I work night shift and had just barely woke up when I posted that. I guess I wasn't nearly as awake as I thought!

jaiotu

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Ya know, the first thread about this video was deleted after it got trashed with unrelated foreign affairs talk.

I would just ask again, please, keep this on topic about the video. If you wish to start a thread regarding the Whiskey Tax or Rick's take on it, please start another thread.

Again, all I am asking for (asking) is a common courtesy. Thanks.
Sorry. Your original post said to "use this thread to discuss Rick, his video, and his 2A support.

My question about Rick's take on the Whiskey Rebellion, if he mentioned it, was intended to get back to what I thought the topic was: general discussion of Rick Barber. Just as my original statement about the Whiskey Rebellion was used in direct discussion of Rick's video.

And yes. I fed the Troll. Can't express my outrage at anyone calling General Washington, of all people, a traitor.