• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can an 18 year old possess a handgun?

morajor

imported post

I'm 18 years old, just purchased a .22 revolver from a buddy. Is this something that I have to hide from the police? Can I open carry in public? Is there anything I have to file with the police? I had heard that you had to be 21 to buy from a gun dealer, but my buddy is not a gun dealer. Help?!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

morajor wrote:
I'm 18 years old, just purchased a .22 revolver from a buddy. Is this something that I have to hide from the police? Can I open carry in public? Is there anything I have to file with the police? I had heard that you had to be 21 to buy from a gun dealer, but my buddy is not a gun dealer. Help?!
You do not have to hide it from the police. You may open carry with the same legal limitation as all of us. Youths may have extra-legal limitations. No, there is nothing that should be filed with the police. Yes, federal law requires that you be 21 y.o. to purchase from an FFL, but not your buddy.

I-ANAL, a coward and an aśś.

tronson

imported post

Make sure you know all the laws about carrying before you do it publicly cruise the forums here and read everything pertaining to open carry see can my gun be in lunge range and rules for loading from your car and carrying in your car if you have any questions feel free to text me 2082407343 i don't know everything but I carry everyday and if you have to hide something from the police don't do it you can loose your right to ever own a gun and certainly don't post about what you are or might hide from the police remember this is a public forum anyone can read it.

johnny amish

imported post

morajor wrote:
Welcome aboard. Arm yourself with education before you carry a sidearm. OCing is a great responsibility and one that should be taken seriously. You are to young to get yourself in trouble that could effect the rest of your life. With that being said I hope you do chose to oc and be a good role model for anyone you might come in contact with. If you have any questions or concerns we are a mouse click away. Carry on.

johnny amish

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
johnny amish wrote:
You are to young to get yourself in trouble that could effect the rest of your life.

? I thought 18 was an adult and all laws would stick?
18 is an adult and all laws would stick, that's my point. An honest mistake is still a mistake and some penalties last a lifetime. Anyway just one guys opinion.

Hostilefreak

imported post

I'm only 20 and I own a handgun. You only have to be 18 to own a handgun and ammo. Now if you bought it from a dealer you have to be at least 21 and the same with ammo from a dealer. But if they are given to you as a gift or you buy them at a private sale you only have to be 18.

morajor

imported post

Can you guys provide sources like a state statute that an 18 year old can possess a handgun? and that the 21 years old law only applies to buying from dealers? not that i dont believe you, i'm just doing my homework to ensure i dont get arrested . :)

And Huffman, you werent calling me a coward were you? haha

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

An 18 year old can possess a handgun because it's not prohibited by law. If it's not prohibited, it's allowed. Oddly, the prohibition is in the statute chapter entitled "Crimes against children" whereas possession of a firearm by someone under age 18 would more properly be under the category of "crimes by children."

948.60 Possession of a dangerous weapon by a person
under 18. (1) In this section, “dangerous weapon” means
any firearm, loaded or unloaded; any electric weapon, as defined
in s. 941.295 (4); metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance
which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect
as metallic knuckles; a nunchaku or any similar weapon consisting
of 2 sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by
a length of rope, chain, wire or leather; a cestus or similar material
weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand; a
shuriken or any similar pointed star−like object intended to injure
a person when thrown; or a manrikigusari or similar length of
chain having weighted ends.
(2) (a) Any person under 18 years of age who possesses or
goes armed with a dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

And this from THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968
TITLE 18, UNITED STATE CODE, CHAPTER 44....

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed
importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed
dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any
individual who the licensee knows or
has reasonable cause to believe is less
than eighteen years of age, and, if the
firearm or ammunition is other than a
shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a
shotgun or rifle, to any individual who
the licensee knows or has reasonable
cause to believe is less than twenty-one
years of age;

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

IANAL means "I am not a lawyer".

It took me a little time to figure that out as well.

Basically it means the legal advice you get on this forum is worth exactly what you paid for it. Nothing!

That's not to say that most of it isn't correct, it's just that if you want to be really sure, hire a lawyer and ask them. At least then you can say 'I was following the legal advice of my lawyer'.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
An 18 year old can possess a handgun because it's not prohibited by law.  If it's not prohibited, it's allowed.  Oddly, the prohibition is in the statute chapter entitled "Crimes against children" whereas possession of a firearm by someone under age 18 would more properly be under the category of "crimes by children."

Is the assumption that until you meet the age of majority that you are a victim if someone allows you to get a gun vs. you are a perp after 18 because you got the gun?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
An 18 year old can possess a handgun because it's not prohibited by law. If it's not prohibited, it's allowed. Oddly, the prohibition is in the statute chapter entitled "Crimes against children" whereas possession of a firearm by someone under age 18 would more properly be under the category of "crimes by children."

Is the assumption that until you meet the age of majority that you are a victim if someone allows you to get a gun vs. you are a perp after 18 because you got the gun?
If one is a victim because they are under 18, then why is the victim being charged with a Class A misdemeanor? One would have to ask why isn't an underage child charged in a "sex with a minor" case? Of course those who would make it a crime to fail to report a stolen firearm have no problem with criminalizing victims.

I think if we're looking for consistency in laws or legal reasoning we will be frequently disappointed. Consistency seems to be important only to a few, e.g., bakers, cement finishers, logicians.

morajor

imported post

haha okay I-ANAL means I am not a lawyer alright. lol sorry bout that :)

Thanks for the sources guys, the support is refreshing, the sherriffs department wont give me a good answer lol.