• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on Sling - Need Help

NHCGRPR45

well i was wondering if you checked out the blackhawk weapon catch?
and IMO is this about "intimidating people" if weapons didn't intimidate people, then they wouldn't work very well. we use weapons to intimidate the social predators to stay away! just like in the animal kingdom, big teeth, big nasty claws, keep away predators.
another point on intimidation, why do criminals use weapons????? to intimidate you into giving them what they want, they would prefer it to be nice and easy so they get away unhurt. well some do, others just want to do harm. i was in the army and we used our weapons to intimidate people from attacking us! and we used those scary black rifles, and AK's to do that!
so yes i carry a firearm openly to INTIMIDATE PEOPLE! but when you carry openly unfortunately you don't get to pick and choose who it intimidates! its a gun!!!!!!!!!!! it scares people! thats ONE OF THE REASONS IT WORKS! i hope it intimidates bad people SO MUCH THAT THEY RUN AWAY AND DON"T TRY TO HURT ME! because then i won't have to use my weapon on them!
another thing, i don't like the fact that it intimidates people that i don't want to scare, i don't want non-criminals, and "sheeple" to fear me, i don't like it. but because of media, or misguided politicians, and ignorance in this country as a whole, my gun scares people. its an unintended consequence of open carry, you will scare some people when they see your gun! whether its a little 1 shot .22 or an AK semi-auto! even if its an unrational fear of the inanimate object that bounces around on your hip! we have been told that GUNS ARE DANGEROUS, STAY AWAY FROM THE EVIL GUNS! GUNS KILL PEOPLE, GUNS JUST GO OFF!
guns if left alone on a table are no more dangerous than the water glass sitting next to it! guns don't magically run around shooting old ladies and pistol whipping kittens! you need a person to do that! and its the PERSON not the GUN that is doing bad things! you can no more blame the gun than you can blame a rock! its stupidity of the highest order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! neither can do harm by itself!
so yes i admit that i carry a gun to intimidate people! so does every person who carries a gun, whether or not your intent is to scare just the bad people you will unfortunately scare others as well, even more so since we as MOC carry our weapons for everyone to see! if you didn't want to scare people then cover it up. just know that carring openly will scare the sheeple, as well as the criminal.
shaun

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Potentially the person's actions may give me an adrenalin rush, but the sight alone of a properly holstered handgun will not.

It is still IMO the person. not the gun.

American Boy With a Gun

There is no way, notta one, that i am going to read everything youve typed in this thread....dude, write a book, you seem to be able to type ALOT :p

there is a long gun weapon retention device that is made by BLACKHAWK Industries. its a velcro weapon catch that holds your long gun close to your side when repelling or running so that its not bouncing around and slapping your knees, which by the way really sucks! i don't have mine anymore but i do believe that it would work for your AK pistol. it works well with M4's but will also work equally well with AK's with the original would front grips, i don't know about the newer picatinny rails or other options that are now available. however their is a "catch" if you use this its not a one hand use item, you would need to grip the pistol grip, the with your "reaction" side hand pull open the velcro to release the weapon. i would advise a single point attachment sling also, since this weapon catch is not designed for regular everyday carry. SPECTRE gear has a great single point sling and so does blakchawk. i am looking into buying the FN SCAR-H side folder in .308 or a SIG556 in 5.56x45 side folder to register as a pistol so i can have a loaded long gun in my car, BTW thanks MI for that! and its sometimes neat to open carry a long gun, some open carry picnics it would be fun and some cities it would also just be a good idea for some.since detroit and flint have been ranked 1st and 6th in most dangerous cities in the U.S. granted everyday carry of these would be impractical. i will take static for that but its not a bad idea to have a long gun handy for self defense IMO handguns are a poor choice for self defense, a handgun should be used to fight your way to a long gun i keep my NHC 1911 by my bedside, but when i finally get a shotgun i will lock up the 1911 and use the shotgun for home defense. the reason handguns have been made the default firearm for self defense is not because they are better for self defense, its because they are easier to conceal, and carry daily. i also think rifle caliber semi-auto pistols are a poor choice for most is because of the recoil produced which leads to in-accuracy, and the "shoot through" or over penetration. new ammunition reduces this risk, and also reduces felt recoil but the size of the rifle caliber pistols is usually prohibitive. however due to MI laws certain rifles and shotguns in MI qualify as pistols in MI. the SIG side folder 556 and SCAR-L 5.56 and SCAR-H .308, mossberge shotguns and some shotguns with collapsing butstocks will qualify as pistols. to me the biggest advantage this gives someone is the fact that a long gun in MI must be unloaded and in a case. but if your long gun qualifies as a pistol in MI then your CPL would allow you to have your "long gun" loaded anywhere in your vehicle, hence bypassing the no loaded long gun rule. you can carry your pistol with you but now you have a rifle back up in your car, in rural areas and big cities this is a force multiplier that can't be over looked! but you should carry what you have, anygun is better than no gun at all! even a 1 shot .22 is better than nothing. but you should be very confident in what you carry AK pistol carry is not a legal issue, its a perception issue. at close range your AK pistol is absolutely more powerful than most handguns! its also more likely to over penetrate your "target" training can help fix accuracy, and good situational perception can limit over penetration issues, but it cannot remove it. IMO stick with handgun caliber pistols for everyday carry but don't limit yourself because of "perceptions" of rifle caliber pistols that others think is wrong just because of the way it looks. rememeber the Assault Weapons Ban of 94? the ban did nothing to limit the ballistics of the rifles it affected, it even helped the accuracy of some weapons! it just addressed the LOOK of scary guns! the weapons it affected most were hanguns by limiting the available mag capacity. not the ballistics of the rounds used, but the number! silly to a pro 2nd amendment person, but just good sense to an anti! it was a perception issue! not a practical issue!
well this is all just my opinion and personally i don't care whether someone carries a long gun daily or a rifle caliber pistol either! DO IT! its your RIGHT!!!!!!! and i will not try to push my OPINION, OR PERCEPTIONS on you! i will not force my opinion on someone who wants to open carry a long gun, or a rifle caliber pistol!by law a pistol is a pistol! AR, AK, or 1911 or SIG, FN, GLOCK, its a pistol! BY LAW! it no diffrent that red t-shirt vs. blue t-shirt! its a personal choice! my choice could be diffrent, but its MY CHOICE!
Carry ON!

uptheante maybe dosen't get MI law, i believe deathtoall is refering to a "MI" pistol, which can be a "rifle" under federal law, but in MI is a "pistol" due to a over all length clause. still he seems to be all wrong about how he goes about posting replies. more research and some simple nice questions could be in order, instead of rabble rousing, and his "rally the troops" statement is as wrong as a brady campaign member shooting a machine gun! in this world there are only 2 ways to get someone to do what you want, and this is true from the highest level of goverment to the kindergarten class.
1. coersion
2. force
you can either talk someone into doing what you want. or you must force them. its true from any stand point. pay your taxes willingly, or we will make you pay! by takeing something, either money or property.
obey the law or we will lock you up. change the illegal ordinances or we will have a group of Open Carry people show up at your council meeting, which technically is still only coersion, so the "we will force you" part is lawsuit.

coersion works because the threat of force is there, and the majority would prefer coersion, well at least in this country. while i don't like paying taxes, its better than the alternative! i obey the law......mostly "who hasn't broke a speeding law" because jail and prison suck! sometimes literally! so i have hit my philosophy quota for the day, and i hope i have cohersed you into my line of thinking or i will be forced to write more long winded replies! chew on that "uptheante" ! so in closeing i will quote a great cartoon character you guess which one!

"SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME!"

well i was wondering if you checked out the blackhawk weapon catch?
and IMO is this about "intimidating people" if weapons didn't intimidate people, then they wouldn't work very well. we use weapons to intimidate the social predators to stay away! just like in the animal kingdom, big teeth, big nasty claws, keep away predators.
another point on intimidation, why do criminals use weapons????? to intimidate you into giving them what they want, they would prefer it to be nice and easy so they get away unhurt. well some do, others just want to do harm. i was in the army and we used our weapons to intimidate people from attacking us! and we used those scary black rifles, and AK's to do that!
so yes i carry a firearm openly to INTIMIDATE PEOPLE! but when you carry openly unfortunately you don't get to pick and choose who it intimidates! its a gun!!!!!!!!!!! it scares people! thats ONE OF THE REASONS IT WORKS! i hope it intimidates bad people SO MUCH THAT THEY RUN AWAY AND DON"T TRY TO HURT ME! because then i won't have to use my weapon on them!
another thing, i don't like the fact that it intimidates people that i don't want to scare, i don't want non-criminals, and "sheeple" to fear me, i don't like it. but because of media, or misguided politicians, and ignorance in this country as a whole, my gun scares people. its an unintended consequence of open carry, you will scare some people when they see your gun! whether its a little 1 shot .22 or an AK semi-auto! even if its an unrational fear of the inanimate object that bounces around on your hip! we have been told that GUNS ARE DANGEROUS, STAY AWAY FROM THE EVIL GUNS! GUNS KILL PEOPLE, GUNS JUST GO OFF!
guns if left alone on a table are no more dangerous than the water glass sitting next to it! guns don't magically run around shooting old ladies and pistol whipping kittens! you need a person to do that! and its the PERSON not the GUN that is doing bad things! you can no more blame the gun than you can blame a rock! its stupidity of the highest order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! neither can do harm by itself!
so yes i admit that i carry a gun to intimidate people! so does every person who carries a gun, whether or not your intent is to scare just the bad people you will unfortunately scare others as well, even more so since we as MOC carry our weapons for everyone to see! if you didn't want to scare people then cover it up. just know that carring openly will scare the sheeple, as well as the criminal.
shaun

NHCGRPR45

yea, i know but somethings can't be said in 3 - 5 sentences. i suppose i am passionet about this type of thing.but i did at least put some "enters" in there to break it up!
anyway you don't have to read it all at once, read a little then marinate with a cold glass of water and come back for more!
i am usually not so long winded, but some of the post on this topic have been really absurd, some stuff souds out right hostile, and i try to stick up for 2A stuff, Deathtolltaly was hammered for asking a logical question, by several poster who would rather dictate his behaviour than use normal conversation and intelligence to find out why he was asking a good question. i may not know who "D" is but i respect the way hes handled some of the silly comments that have posted here. i have been i combat zones less dangerous than detroit!
neat fact: detroit ranked #3 and flint ranked #6 in most dangerous cities in america, i feel he would be justified to take a platoon of infantry with him to walk around in some of the coicest hoods in detroit!

sorry again for the long posts :)

oh and didn't your teachers say reading is good for you???

bass4thetruck

long rifle open carry

i was wondering when you are open carrying a long rifle in michigan does the rifle need to be unloaded? and since i am 18 i can open carry a hand gun correct? and if so does it have to be in my name? thanks so much

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i was wondering when you are open carrying a long rifle in michigan does the rifle need to be unloaded? and since i am 18 i can open carry a hand gun correct? and if so does it have to be in my name? thanks so much
Aaa - you do realize that this thread is over 4 years old, right?

Long gun carry is off-topic for OCDO - see Forum Rules.

For general information, the easily available answers are here and here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OT in the Michigan subforum. ;)
And in all but one of the 57 states :p - the exception is noted in the Rule.

Interesting that he asked about "long rifles" - did he mean to exclude SBRs?

Need coffee or chocolate - caffeine deprivation :uhoh:

OC for ME

I have a few rifles that are longer than my other rifles. Oh, I have some long shotguns too, really long. So, can I speak to, about, shorter-ish rifles since they are not technically long or long-ish?

Evil Creamsicle

The intent of the questions appears to be that since he is 18, it is considerably more difficult to obtain a handgun unless from a private seller. Perhaps a rifle is the only options he has.