• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on Sling - Need Help

deathtolltally

imported post

:banghead:New to the forum and need some help on whats legal as far as OC. Can I carry my AK pistol open carry on a sling rather than in a holster legally. I have read alot of the laws and know that by open carrying in a holster is the opinion that its not brandishing but what about carrying open with a sling rather than a holster. I called MI State Police, attorney general and nobody can tell me what the law is on if I can open carry on a sling so can someone please help me clear that up? I have a CPL as well and I like to carry my AR15 pistol or AK Pistol but they dont make a holster - just a sling.

Thanks!!

kyleplusitunes

imported post

just curious, what everyday self defense purpose would it serve to carry one of these?

This has been a pretty heated debate around this forum, and I think the general consensus, is, you can do it, but you can do a lot of stuff in life, that doesn't mean you should.

deathtolltally

imported post

I work in Detroit and its a great deturrant. I just wanted to know if that was my right to carry that way. I understand maybe its not a good idea but that wasnt the question. Question is it legal? Some like to carry a .32 berretta, other a .50 Cal Desert Eagle... Different strokes for different folks right? Not trying to be funny just wanted to know my rights.

deathtolltally

imported post

Hey thanks!! I hope I can get someone to help me out. I am a law abiding man with a family and I want to follow the rules!!! Thanks!!

kyleplusitunes

imported post

You can absolutely carry a long arm over your shoulder, again, walk around detroit with this thing and I bet you won't be walking around detroit long.

We have plenty of members who have a hard enough time carrying a holstered pistol, on their hip, let alone ice cubes magical death gun.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

also, this is OpenCarry.org's mission statement

OpenCarry.org
A pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life

deathtolltally

imported post

I was on the ground laughing so hard because of your reply. Ice cubes death gun - Lol. I appreciate the advice but again, its a pistol, not a long rifle but a pistol.

deathtolltally

imported post

I will watch the video some time later today and I dont want to get jammed up so I appreciate the post - again. Also, please all know that I am not trying to be an idiot or something. I like the gun what can I say. Thus the questions - I am not asking for opinions but the law. I would imagine though that LEO wouldnt be as kind asif I was carrying a glock or something.

deathtolltally

imported post

I apologise but I am not sure what you mean when you say traditional pistol sir. Please explain.

deathtolltally

imported post

Thanks for the post. Can you send me anything or a link to where the law states it must be holstered.

:)

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
Well the Attorney General Opinion says "holstered" pistol. Maybe you can fab one up. Again I am no expert but if you did then I would assume you & your AK/AR pistol would be in compliance with the law as it stands today.
Fixed.

deathtolltally

imported post

I saw it out there and thanks again!

I will make sure that I have it on the sling but also fab a holster some how.

Thanks!!