• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on Sling - Need Help

office888

imported post

I am not an attorney, everything you read is opinion:
---------------------------------------------------

It is my opinion, that a sling along would be sufficient to publicly carry a rifle, OR legal "michigan pistol".

After all, wouldn't hunters be brandishing all over the place when they carry their rifles in the woods, ponds, and such?

I'll warn you ahead of time, you WILL get a lot of flak for it. Be fully prepared to give responses for your actions. You don't want to come off as a nutcase or something. Watch the video of the fellow in Arizona that OC'ed the AR15 to a tea-party rally. Look at how calmly and professionally he handled the sheeple freaking out over his legally open-carried AR15.

This is what you need to strive for. If all else fails, leave your opinion and personal morals out of it. Just cite, "the state of Michigan's constitution, as well as the constitution of the United States grant me the right to carry a firearm".

I don't see a clause, saying that "YOU MAY ONLY CARRY HANDGUNS IN PUBLIC"

I too, will join you soon enough.

I fully intend to open-carry my AR15 (rifle) this summer sometime.

However, I'll be doubling up. I'll be using a two-point sling, slung over my shoulder. I'll also be using a weapon's catch. Here's a link below.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-cqd-weapons-catch-mark-ii-black.html

It goes on your belt, and holds your weapon firmly in place. It's got two methods of retention, you can keep the snap loose, so it just merely holds the weapon to your side. Or, there's a button you can snap, to ensure your weapon is fully retained.

Sling + weapons catch...in my eyes, that's more than enough to look like a holstered weapon, in the eyes of the law.

Good luck.

Remember, YOU ARE AN AMBASSADOR FOR ALL OF US.

Please prepare yourself, and be well rehearsed in the laws of the State of Michigan. Learn the wording for the Attorney General opinions. Learn which opinion / case numbers to cite.

-Richard-

WARCHILD

imported post

I wouldn't accuse him of attempting to ruin anything. He asked a valid question and has responded to valid answers. I think it more responsible to ask for views and opinions before making a decision.

As I have said many times, new/old members come on here and ask a simple question for what ever reason.
What are part of the responses, negative comments and jabs....good way to promote new membership...yep...works every time. :uhoh:

JMO

Beerme

Banned
imported post

office888 wrote:
I am not an attorney, everything you read is opinion:
---------------------------------------------------

It is my opinion, that a sling along would be sufficient to publicly carry a rifle, OR legal "michigan pistol".

After all, wouldn't hunters be brandishing all over the place when they carry their rifles in the woods, ponds, and such?

I'll warn you ahead of time, you WILL get a lot of flak for it. Be fully prepared to give responses for your actions. You don't want to come off as a nutcase or something. Watch the video of the fellow in Arizona that OC'ed the AR15 to a tea-party rally. Look at how calmly and professionally he handled the sheeple freaking out over his legally open-carried AR15.

This is what you need to strive for. If all else fails, leave your opinion and personal morals out of it. Just cite, "the state of Michigan's constitution, as well as the constitution of the United States grant me the right to carry a firearm".

I don't see a clause, saying that "YOU MAY ONLY CARRY HANDGUNS IN PUBLIC"

I too, will join you soon enough.

I fully intend to open-carry my AR15 (rifle) this summer sometime.

However, I'll be doubling up. I'll be using a two-point sling, slung over my shoulder. I'll also be using a weapon's catch. Here's a link below.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-cqd-weapons-catch-mark-ii-black.html

It goes on your belt, and holds your weapon firmly in place. It's got two methods of retention, you can keep the snap loose, so it just merely holds the weapon to your side. Or, there's a button you can snap, to ensure your weapon is fully retained.

Sling + weapons catch...in my eyes, that's more than enough to look like a holstered weapon, in the eyes of the law.

Good luck.

Remember, YOU ARE AN AMBASSADOR FOR ALL OF US.

Please prepare yourself, and be well rehearsed in the laws of the State of Michigan. Learn the wording for the Attorney General opinions. Learn which opinion / case numbers to cite.

-Richard-
see the only time I would carry my ar would be a demonstration or a semi protest like a tea party or the marysville picnic( not saying it is a protest or demonstration just that the events that went down there would make me want to carry it)
for walking around with like walkin my dog or goin shopping i think it is pointless
it screams look at me look at me and if the event does come up that you need to use it...
over penetration is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Flame on....but I don't care....

There is no tactical advantage to carrying these types of "pistols" for self defense.
While I fully support people's rights to do so even though I disagree.
My primary concern would be "collateral damage" caused by over penetration and be looking at possible manslaughter charges; were the bullet to hit a bystander.
After all, anything can happen, hell the sun may explode tomorrow.
To me it would equate to squirrel hunting with a 300 win. mag.

JMO
IMO too.

DetroitBiker

imported post

deathtolltally wrote:
I agree, definately a deturrant. You should be able to carry what you want without idiots saying that you just want attention. Not the deal in my case.

Is that a drum you got there on yur belt? Nice!
Yes thats a drum, Its not me in the photo with theAK folder. Thats a Guy from the Forum here.It was at a special OC picnic in Canton. By special I mean there is a story of why that location was chosen. I dont think that gentleman carries like that normally.

office888

imported post

Beerme wrote:
[/quote]

9mm overpenetrates worse than 5.56x45. 5.56x45 is designed to fragment, 9mm is not.

Not only that, pistols do a very poor job at being a true "one-shot stop".

The 75gr Hornady TAP that I run in my AR15 is guaranteed to put someone down, and at the same time, will only penetrate about two pieces of drywall before the bullet is turned into a bunch of lead/copper fragments.

I will not be shopping or something with an AR15 on my back.

This will purely be reserved for a blatant disregard of the law should it be required for a picnic, or if not, maybe a local area festival. Or screw it, maybe I'll just take my English Mastiff through a walk in the country?

We'll see.

-Richard-

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

office888 wrote:
Beerme wrote:

9mm overpenetrates worse than 5.56x45. 5.56x45 is designed to fragment, 9mm is not.

Not only that, pistols do a very poor job at being a true "one-shot stop".

The 75gr Hornady TAP that I run in my AR15 is guaranteed to put someone down, and at the same time, will only penetrate about two pieces of drywall before the bullet is turned into a bunch of lead/copper fragments.

I will not be shopping or something with an AR15 on my back.

This will purely be reserved for a blatant disregard of the law should it be required for a picnic, or if not, maybe a local area festival. Or screw it, maybe I'll just take my English Mastiff through a walk in the country?

We'll see.

-Richard-

I've said it before & I'll say it again people....It's all about the AMMO you choose! If I shoot 9mm ball into 2 phone books ( it'll go through the 1st & a good way into the 2nd). If I use a nice JHP designed for defense the energy is dissipated much more quickly. Simple one would think, but I guess some folks just don't get it???

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HOWUDOINGOOD wrote:
  How is it that someone in MI. could  openly carry legally for the past 20 + years? Pre-emption hasn"t been around that long. Am I missing something?
good question, but who are you talking about? to answer your question though, they could have carried in cities without ordinances against OC (if such a city existed). that would have been a time-consuming endeavor to look up ordinances in every city you intended to visit. all this before help of the internet.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
I've said it before & I'll say it again people....It's all about the AMMO you choose! If I shoot 9mm ball into 2 phone books ( it'll go through the 1st & a good way into the 2nd). If I use a nice JHP designed for defense the energy is dissipated much more quickly. Simple one would think, but I guess some folks just don't get it???

What if you have to shoot at thick glass orsteel or someone with a ballistic vest?

eastmeyers

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:

What if you have to shoot at thick glass orsteel or someone with a ballistic vest?

Well you have to do whatever you can to get an attack to stop.

...Head shot

God Bless

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:

...Head shot

God Bless

Or you can carry a holstered .308 winchester pistol like the vector v51p.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
eastmeyers wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:

...Head shot

God Bless

Or you can carry a holstered .308 winchester pistol like the vector v51p.
I shoot 9mm CORBON +P JHP 1400+ fps they do the job. No problem with glass or car doors - Yet you don't have to worry about it going through the bad guy & killing some little kid or other people.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

The ammo for your ak pistol is very inexpensive at around $.20/round. I'm not sure what corbon costs, but I'd guess maybe $1/round or more. Your AK pistol can accept a drum magazine so multiple threats are no problem. Penetration of ballistic vests is a plus as well.