• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't you just hate...

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

Don't you just hate those smart ass kids. In my local WalMArt and some kid, I mean like 17 or 18 (old enough to know better) sees my piece and yells "He's got a gun!" , pointing his finger at me, thinking he is being all funny and stuff. Naturally everyone (including me) is looking around to see where the enraged gunman is who is fixing to mow us all down.

After he finishes giggling and stuff I just give him "the look" and shake my head.

I think this shuld be illegal, sort of like yelling FIRE in a theater. It's akin to "going armed to the terror of the public", except that it is some smart-ass creating the terror and not the law abiding open carrier.

What do you do in a situation like this? I felt like grabbing that ring piercing thingy he hadhanging out of his eyebrow and giving it a good yank!

Mo

Banned
imported post

His actions are called "Disturbing the Peace". Clear intent to cause a scene. You could have made a citizen's arrest and you would have witnesses to back it up plus audio if you had a voice recorder with you.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
Naturally everyone (including me) is looking around to see where the enraged gunman is who is fixing to mow us all down.
LMAO

Best thing EVER said.

never had it done to me where lots of people saw/herd.

normally i say "I do I also have a knife and a flashlight "

Dreamer

imported post

tomtaurus wrote:
There is no citizens arrest in NC

Technically this is true, and NC is the ONLY state in the union that does not allow Citizens Arrests.

HOWEVER, a citizen may DETAIN a criminal if they witness them in the commission of a felony. You may not, however, transport them without consent...

According to WikiPaedia:

Though North Carolina General Statutes have no provision for citizens' arrests, detention by private persons is permitted and applies to both civilians and police officers outside their jurisdiction.

[/sup]Detention is permitted where probable cause exists that one has committed a felony, breach of peace, physical injury to another person, or theft or destruction of property.

Detention is different from an arrest in that in a detention the detainee may not be transported without consent.

And here is the NC General Statute that specifically outlines the legal conditions of a "detention":

§ 15A‑404. Detention of offenders by private persons.
(a) No Arrest; Detention Permitted. – No private person may arrest another person except as provided in G.S. 15A‑405. A private person may detain another person as provided in this section.

(b) When Detention Permitted. – A private person may detain another person when he has probable cause to believe that the person detained has committed in his presence:
(1) A felony,

(2) A breach of the peace,

(3) A crime involving physical injury to another person, or

(4) A crime involving theft or destruction of property.

(c) Manner of Detention. – The detention must be in a reasonable manner considering the offense involved and the circumstances of the detention.

(d) Period of Detention. – The detention may be no longer than the time required for the earliest of the following:
(1) The determination that no offense has been committed.

(2) Surrender of the person detained to a law‑enforcement officer as provided in subsection (e).
(e) Surrender to Officer. – A private person who detains another must immediately notify a law‑enforcement officer and must, unless he releases the person earlier as required by subsection (d), surrender the person detained to the law‑enforcement officer. (1973, c. 1286, s. 1.)

Dreamer

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
I think this shuld be illegal, sort of like yelling FIRE in a theater. It's akin to "going armed to the terror of the public", except that it is some smart-ass creating the terror and not the law abiding open carrier.

What do you do in a situation like this? I felt like grabbing that ring piercing thingy he hadhanging out of his eyebrow and giving it a good yank

This kid committed a number of violations, and depending on the demeanor of your lawyer, the local DA, and the local LEO's, you could have made his life a living hell...
  1. Disturbing the Peace
  2. Attempting to incite a riot
  3. Uttering threats
Personally, I would just hand him a NC Gun Rights brochure, and tried to turn it into an "educational experience". I think I would have opened with "when you grow up, and are a responsible adult, you might be able to carry a gun too, if you keep your record clean. But you've obviously got a LOT of growing up to do before you will be trustworthy with this sort of adult responsibility..."

Then, I'd just walk away and ignore him.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

Mo wrote:
His actions are called "Disturbing the Peace". Clear intent to cause a scene. You could have made a citizen's arrest and you would have witnesses to back it up plus audio if you had a voice recorder with you.
We don't have citizens arrest in NC. Us peons aren't capable of making that decision on our own.:cuss:

Mo

Banned
imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
Mo wrote:
We don't have citizens arrest in NC. Us peons aren't capable of making that decision on our own.:cuss:
OK. Did not know that. His actions clearly had the potential for inciting much fear. I would hope the evidence witnesses/audio/video would be enough for prosecution. His actions are infuriating.

chiefjason

imported post

I've had it happen once. Very different situation. The punk kid was a passenger in a car driving by Walmart as I was leaving. He started cursing this lady who was putting her stuff in her car. Her car was blocking theirs. So I turned left to go around the back of his car. He yells, "Dude's got a gun!" And the car made a B-line for the exit. In my case, it was a beautiful thing. :lol:

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am very good at ignoring fools, you should try it. Of course, handing him one of the brochures would be smart. At least you can say you've educated (or attempted to educate) one idiot in your life time.

PavePusher

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
Don't you just hate those smart ass kids. In my local WalMArt and some kid, I mean like 17 or 18 (old enough to know better) sees my piece and yells "He's got a gun!" , pointing his finger at me, thinking he is being all funny and stuff. Naturally everyone (including me) is looking around to see where the enraged gunman is who is fixing to mow us all down.

After he finishes giggling and stuff I just give him "the look" and shake my head.

What do you do in a situation like this? I felt like grabbing that ring piercing thingy he hadhanging out of his eyebrow and giving it a good yank!

"Oh yeah? Well I've got a wallet too, and I'm about to give all my money to this store... if they throw you out...!" :banghead: