Thread: Armed Home Invasion - 43rd Street & Colley

Post Armed Home Invasion - 43rd Street & Colley

I just received word via the university "Safety" Alert that around 3:30 there was an armed home invasion.

I received the alert at 4:07. Good job. 37 minutes. :X

http://studentaffairs.odu.edu/safety...s&id=22586
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Got mine at 4:37 and 4:44
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

This is why I switched from a revolver to a "standard capacity" semi auto. 4 armed intruders? I feel better knowing that I can afford 4 shots each with one to spare vs. 2 for 2 and 1 each for the other 2. If it came to that of course.

Post imported post

I just keep the shotgun loaded under the mattress for this reason. I'll bet I could take out more than one per shot. If I'm not close enough to it, I always have the pistol on my hip.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

Oh No :what: Why are you keeping a loaded gun for self defense? Didn't the locals educate you that you should have quadruple deadbolts and the local police on speed dial! (massive amount of sarcasm)

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

t33j wrote:
    I just keep the shotgun loaded under the mattress for this reason. I'll bet I could take out more than one per shot. If I'm not close enough to it, I always have the pistol on my hip.
    .730 DDR

Always use enough gun!

Post imported post

Nova, t33j and the rest of you - just how quickly will you be able to access your firearm and repel boarders?

Home invasions put you way behind the reaction curve, and having to scramble for your weapon eats up even more time you probably don't have.

Personally, I think this is another good reason to promote the idea of your HD device being on/at your side. Sitting in the Barcalounger with a shotgun on yout lap may look strange, but if the door comes flying off the hinges you really won't care, will you?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    t33j wrote:
    .730 DDR

Always use enough gun!
    wow!
    ...and to think I was considering the switch to 2 3/4" 00 instead of 3" 00
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

My 870 only holds 9 rounds that's only 2per and 1 left over! Seriously though on the reaction time comment I completely agree. Try a Chinese fire drill (have your wife do one random or wait to hear the words "bp" on tv). How long did it take you to get you gun into a firing position?

My personal answer wouldn't work in a home but my 3rd floor apt only has 1 realistic entrance (i still worry about ninjas repelling or a wall breach). I arranged my furniture so my sofa is long ways just out of the arc of the in-opening door. Every time I come in the door is locked and the sofa is slid back a few inches which I believe (can't test) will make a door breach a multiple hit or hit-push affair which gives me a few extra seconds

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Nova, t33j and the rest of you - just how quickly will you be able to access your firearm and repel boarders?

Home invasions put you way behind the reaction curve, and having to scramble for your weapon eats up even more time you probably don't have.

Personally, I think this is another good reason to promote the idea of your HD device being on/at your side. Sitting in the Barcalounger with a shotgun on yout lap may look strange, but if the door comes flying off the hinges you really won't care, will you?

stay safe.

Shotgun or not, if the first time you find out about the armed intruders is when your door flies open, you've already got one strike against you. That's why good locks, alarms, and dogs are important. They are good early warning devices.

It's really hard to spend all your waking hours in condition yellow. Sometimes you need to go into white in order to relax. But what you need in that situation is the capability to get into yellow/red quickly. In one of his last interviews Jeff Cooper talked about how his house is set up in order for him to wake up if there is an intruder during the night.

If you want to walk around your house with a shotgun, more power to you. I have my weapons strategically positioned around the house/vehicles, so I can get to them very quickly, and I rely on several "early detection" measures to let me know when I should go get one.

I should be able to get to a hot firearm in 3-5 seconds anywhere in the house, but I expect to have much more warning than that for your run-of-the mill scumbags. If black helicopters come, that's a totally different game.

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:

stay safe.
    my EDC stays on me at all times, so I'd say in under a second. My 12ga is there if I'm in that particular room, or for another family member to use if necessary.

Post imported post

I agree with Skidmark. The perp picks the time and place, and will almost always have the element of surprise.

Put your gun on when you get dressed for the day, and don't take it off until you go to bed. Then keep it handy.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

I used to live on 44th and colley. I keep my kimber under my pillow I never go to bed without it.

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    I agree with Skidmark. The perp picks the time and place, and will almost always have the element of surprise.

Put your gun on when you get dressed for the day, and don't take it off until you go to bed. Then keep it handy.
    +1

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:

I do this myself. My kids asked a while back why and I told them "What good does it do me if my gun is by my bed or on my dresser ad a bad guy breaks in while I'm in the living room?"

Their answer: "Good point Dad."

Though at the end of the day, I do take it off and sit it next to me on the end table beside my chair. Only way to get it is through me.

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    2a4all wrote:

I do this myself. My kids asked a while back why and I told them "What good does it do me if my gun is by my bed or on my dresser ad a bad guy breaks in while I'm in the living room?"

Their answer: "Good point Dad."

Though at the end of the day, I do take it off and sit it next to me on the end table beside my chair. Only way to get it is through me.
    While I'm sure your "faithful companion" appreciates this respite from its long duty day, aren't you concerned that it might get overly excited during those "cop shows" on TV and jump up and discharge itself?

I know your kids are well-behaved, but guns are different animals...
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

There are a lot of products out there that can conceal handguns that you can place around your house (wall clock/dictionary/floor safe/etc). If you have children however, this will complicate what might be appropriate to leave around the house. Guess it all depends on how large your house is, and the dangerousness of the area you live in.

Keeping a gun on your hip all day/night while relaxing in your own house might be too much discomfort for most people. I carry a gun (and 20 lbs of equipment on me during my work shift), and the first thing I do when I get home is shed it all off. It might be wise to strengthen the borders of your house that would give you adequate time to retrieve a firearm if a home invasion is in the works. Steel doors with multiple locks, windows with bars, motion lights, security systems, posted signs, thorn bushes around windows, etc. That might ensure a more comfortable and safe environment for you inside your home.

Post imported post

And I'm supposed to send my BABY to school there in the Fall????

"If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    And I'm supposed to send my BABY to school there in the Fall????

And I really hate to post this.... but you're supposed to send her there unarmed as well!

TFred

Post imported post

I know she's supposed to be unarmed as well... She wants to stay off campus so she CAN carry. Unfortunately, she's only 19 and can't even CC for another 2 years.

We've taken several trips down there. I showed her where I went to Elementary School (J.E.B. Stuart @ 38thSt. and Lewellyn) right in the middle of the "combat zone". She'll be taking more self defense classes and being as well-armed and prepared as she legally canunder the circumstances...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    I know she's supposed to be unarmed as well...¬* She wants to stay off campus so she CAN carry.
    Very good idea.

Let's see, including myself I know 9 people at ODU who carry regularly.
    Maybe it's about time to start doing student OC events down there... not on campus obviously.

Unfortunately, she's only 19 and can't even CC for another 2 years.
    I've gotten along fine OCing but I've had to take great pains to make sure I know what is campus and what isn't. Despite living close enough to walk, I almost always drive and park on a public street as close as possible to campus where I leave my gun in the car.

We've taken several trips down there.¬* I showed her where I went to Elementary School (J.E.B. Stuart @ 38th¬*St. and Lewellyn) right in the middle of the "combat zone". I used to live on 37th...talk about an experience.[/quote]
    Sic Semper Tyrannis