• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Lothrop passes illegal ordinance June 2010

B

Bikenut

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
I think you are missing the forest for the trees here guys....it is every councils job to know what they are voting for...it's clear that in most of S.E. MI either they don't or worse, choose NOT to follow the state law. They are the law makers, so yes I will rebuke them for violating mine & your rights.:X
Please do not misunderstand my post concerning New Lothrop's passing their ordinance as making excuses for them... it is not. It is only a mention that not all things are always super anti OC specifically.....

But it still doesn't hurt to use OC to remind officials of their duty to know the law... and abide by it!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
I think you are missing the forest for the trees here guys....it is every councils job to know what they are voting for...it's clear that in most of S.E. MI either they don't or worse, choose NOT to follow the state law. They are the law makers, so yes I will rebuke them for violating mine & your rights.:X
Please do not misunderstand my post concerning New Lothrop's passing their ordinance as making excuses for them... it is not. It is only a mention that not all things are always super anti OC specifically.....

But it still doesn't hurt to use OC to remind officials of their duty to know the law... and abide by it!
You got that right Sir! ;)

TAC

The way I'm reading their ordanacne, I don't see any problem...

The village of New Lothrop ordains: Sec. 1. Unlawfully carrying a weapon.
A person Commits the crime of unlawfully carrying a weapon if he knowingly:

a. Carries a knife concealed on or about his person; or

b. Carries a pistol concealed on or about his person; or

c. Carries a knife or pistol whether concealed or not in a vehicle that he is operating or occupying.

d. This Section does not apply to: 1. people who carry at home/business; 2. A person meeting the requirements of Sec 12/12a of Act No. 372 of the Public Acts of 1927, as amended, being Sec. 28.432, and 28.432a of the Compiled Laws of 1948.

autosurgeon

The way I'm reading their ordanacne, I don't see any problem...

The village of New Lothrop ordains: Sec. 1. Unlawfully carrying a weapon.
A person Commits the crime of unlawfully carrying a weapon if he knowingly:

a. Carries a knife concealed on or about his person; or

b. Carries a pistol concealed on or about his person; or

c. Carries a knife or pistol whether concealed or not in a vehicle that he is operating or occupying.

d. This Section does not apply to: 1. people who carry at home/business; 2. A person meeting the requirements of Sec 12/12a of Act No. 372 of the Public Acts of 1927, as amended, being Sec. 28.432, and 28.432a of the Compiled Laws of 1948.

The problem is THEY define unlawful behavior in the ordinance. See the parts I have bolded!

They have no authority over these areas as the state has preempted this.

B

Bikenut

Ok.... the meeting is tomorrow night

Village Council meetings 2nd Wednesday of the month at 7pm in the Municipal Building at 9435 Beech St..

I can not attend... scheduling thingy... anyone else interested in attending?

Recoil88

their last council meeting was on Wednesday, June 9, at the village office, 9435 Beech St., New Lothrop at 7pm.

I would assume their next meeting will be the first wednesday in july. I will try and call them tomorrow to find out so we can attend and request they fix their mistake.

A couple of us went for a motorcycle ride to new lothrop today. I was open carrying. We ate pizza, got ice cream, walked around. No problems. City offices were closed. It is a pretty small town.

DSCN1911.JPG

Why are you hiding your face?

Bailenforcer

Why does this matter?

Why does this matter?

I won't allow my face on the internet either. I have and will meet open carry people, but my face is never to be published.

It is well within his right to not have the entire world knowing what he looks like.

Back on topic..

Why are you hiding your face?

lapeer20m

I addressed the town board tonight about this issue. They said that they had already received a letter about this issue. The chief of police was also at the meeting. I talked to him afterward and he assured me that they will not be enforcing the ordinance.

the township attorney indicated that they are trying to decide if the preemption law actually applies to them or if there is some other law that would allow them to make such an ordinance. I mentioned to him that he could look at mcgro vs ferndale.

i stayed after the meeting and chatted with a few of the board members. They were quite friendly and wondered how it is that i happen to hear about their ordinance. I explained to them that it was in the newspaper. They informed me that they have had the ordinance for a long time, but just updated it last month to also include crossbows.

There was only one member who was obviously opposed to my firearm. He thought that i must have been a police officer. When i told him that i am just a regular citizen, he was quite concerned as he felt that guns cannot be brought into public buildings. I assured him it was perfectly legal. Unfortunately i did not have any tri-folds.

Then we chatted for a while about the city of flint, and they asked me what i thought would happen with them in regards to firearm ordinances. I told them that they will have to change it, but so far they seem to be dragging their feet.

They didn't really discuss the issue at all tonight, other than what i brought up. They are basically waiting for their attorney to finish researching the issue.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I addressed the town board tonight about this issue. They said that they had already received a letter about this issue. The chief of police was also at the meeting. I talked to him afterward and he assured me that they will not be enforcing the ordinance.

the township attorney indicated that they are trying to decide if the preemption law actually applies to them or if there is some other law that would allow them to make such an ordinance. I mentioned to him that he could look at mcgro vs ferndale.

i stayed after the meeting and chatted with a few of the board members. They were quite friendly and wondered how it is that i happen to hear about their ordinance. I explained to them that it was in the newspaper. They informed me that they have had the ordinance for a long time, but just updated it last month to also include crossbows.

There was only one member who was obviously opposed to my firearm. He thought that i must have been a police officer. When i told him that i am just a regular citizen, he was quite concerned as he felt that guns cannot be brought into public buildings. I assured him it was perfectly legal. Unfortunately i did not have any tri-folds.

Then we chatted for a while about the city of flint, and they asked me what i thought would happen with them in regards to firearm ordinances. I told them that they will have to change it, but so far they seem to be dragging their feet.

They didn't really discuss the issue at all tonight, other than what i brought up. They are basically waiting for their attorney to finish researching the issue.

Great job! Despite the attorney's opinion and the opinion of one of the members, you presented yourself as a knowledgeable, responsible firearm owner.

B

Bikenut

Thank you for attending Lapeer20m.... I couldn't make it... sitting in the hospital in Marquette right now while Yooperlady's son is in the OR for surgergy.

I see they received my letter... but my letter included MCL 123.1102 and MCRGO v Ferndale... so I don't see where they would be thinking they have an "out" in the matter.

Although they, like I suspect also Flint, might be checking out Chicago's ordinances hoping to find a way to copy them. But with MCL 123.1102 that would be impossible.

I've been hearing more and more comments from officials about how angry they are to have sidearms carried by ordinary folks in THEIR BUILDINGS and in THEIR MEETINGS!!! And that this sort of thing surely should not be "allowed". How arrogant!

lapeer20m

hope his surgery went well. It is interesting that you mention mcdonald vs chicago. The city attorney brought that up and said that case would likely make their ordinance unlawful as well. Still, there was no motion on the floor to amend the ordinance.

PDinDetroit

SNIP

I've been hearing more and more comments from officials about how angry they are to have sidearms carried by ordinary folks in THEIR BUILDINGS and in THEIR MEETINGS!!! And that this sort of thing surely should not be "allowed". How arrogant!

Yup, basically ran in this in Royal Oak this week at the City Commission meeting. I found it ironic that for Royal Oak they were complaining that members of the PUBLIC were carrying FIREARMS in PUBLIC BUILDINGS.

B

Bikenut

If anyone is interested.... there is a car show in New Lothrop on 7-31 from 9am to 3pm............... :D

B

Bikenut

Bump..... Yooperlady and I will be attending that car show....

Oh hey... there is a pizza joint in New Lothrop too....