• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can you enforce your right to a CPL?

deanf

imported post

what recourse do you have, or who do you talk to, if the state drags their feet in the issuing of yours CPL.

First you have to know what you are talking about. The State doesn't issue CPLs. Counties and cities do.

SaintJacque

imported post

deanf wrote:
what recourse do you have, or who do you talk to, if the state drags their feet in the issuing of yours CPL.

First you have to know what you are talking about. The State doesn't issue CPLs. Counties and cities do.
Pardon me, you are correct. So, what do you do when ANY jurisdiction or government office delays or stonewalls your CPL?

j2l3

imported post

joeroket wrote:
j2l3 wrote:
I said what I meant. You can say whatever you like. Isn't it great to be free?
Well then when is it necessary to exceed 30 days?
The point is, I said what I meant, you said what you meant. Please attribute your meaning to your own posts, not mine.

Tomas

imported post

The interpretation I got from LESA years ago was that the county could delay issuing the CPL for 30 days, but if they did not complete their background check, or did not find anything within that 30 day window, state law required them to issue the license not later than day 30.

They also suggested that if something that would have precluded issuing the license was found after the 30 day window, the license would be rescinded and the ex license holder would be notified...

Made sense to me when the told me... :?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Tomas wrote:
The interpretation I got from LESA years ago was that the county could delay issuing the CPL for 30 days, but if they did not complete their background check, or did not find anything within that 30 day window, state law required them to issue the license not later than day 30.

They also suggested that if something that would have precluded issuing the license was found after the 30 day window, the license would be rescinded and the ex license holder would be notified...

Being a "Shall-Issue" state means exactly that. If a citizen fills out the application, and pays the fee, then the state MUST issue their CPL. State law allows the local municipality 30 days to 'find reasoning' to deny the claim due to criminal history, mental issues, etc...after which the state must process and issue the license. The applicable law does not 'give' them 30 days to 'approve' the license, rather it limits the time that the municipality can drag their feet. This is in the same spirit that the Constitution does not 'grant rights' rather it limits the government's ability to regulate certain rights.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Peering into my crystal ball, I foresee it appearing in the mail either tomorrow (the 30th day) or Saturday (if the mail is slow).

SaintJacque

imported post

ak56 wrote:
Peering into my crystal ball, I foresee it appearing in the mail either tomorrow (the 30th day) or Saturday (if the mail is slow).
Wouldn't it be awesome if all government permits and licenses worked that way? Man, the public "servants" would actually have to do their jobs.:D

jeeper1

imported post

Tomas wrote:

That happened to me. It was because I was new to the state.

arentol

imported post

I went through the Kent PD. I got mine less than 2 weeks after I applied. However, they did do one thing I didn't like. The first time I went in they made me set up an appointment to get my finger prints taken. They limited me to Wednesdays, so I had to come back the next week to get them done and put in my App. Still took less than 30 days from my first visit, but technically they did kind of break the rules.

oneeyeross

I can't see how they did "break the rules." They have 30 days, and it took less than that, so...? Maybe they don't have someone their that is trained in taking fingerprints properly....

(If you do it wrong, the prints are worthless).

j2l3

Rcw 9.41.070

RCW 9.41.070 says in part "The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours"

Based on this, they cannot make you set an appointment and come back. They must accept the application during all normal business hours.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
RCW 9.41.070 says in part "The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours"

Based on this, they cannot make you set an appointment and come back. They must accept the application during all normal business hours.

Well, it says they "shall not refuse COMPLETED applications", so if you go in and you need something done (i.e. fingerprints) then the application is not complete and they could turn you away.

(where are the smileys? how do I bold/underline?)

Tomas

Correct, Gogo, many police departments only take prints for other than booking on specific scheduled days by appointment, as that is not really an untoward delay, and the form is not complete without the prints, that minor delay which applies to everyone, not just those after a CPL, is perfectly legit.

Had that happen to me when I got my first CPL way back when - that department only did prints during three hours of the afternoon, once a week...unless you were being booked. :)

Last edited:

amlevin

- that department only did prints during three hours of the afternoon, once a week...unless you were being booked. :)

Sooo, lets say you were arrested for a misdemeanor like taking a whiz on a city fire hydrant, and they decided to jail you because you refused to sign the citation. While booking you, could you also request a duplicate set of prints to complete your CPL application? That might be one way to avoid having to make an appointment. (bigassed grin here in lieu of emoticon)

CheerfulHoplite

If she doesn't receive her permit on the 30th day I would be very surprised. The law allows up to 30 days for resident permits and King County uses them all.

If the permit doesn't arrive on the 30th day, I would call the supervisor of the department at the Sheriff's department. If that doesn't do you any good, call Sheriff Sue Rahr directly. She recommends people arm themselves, especially if they live in unincorporated King County. She readily admits her officers can't be there in time to help you.

She IS on our side. A good Sheriff.

Got mine earlier this year - Arrived 5 days "early", even!

I live just outside Issaquah - The IPD was *VERY* unhelpful - didn't even want to point me at where I should go after telling me that I was out of their juridfiction - all but slammed the window shut in my face after very grudgingly telling me that I needed to talk to either the KCSO or state patrol.

I ended up putting in my application on March 5th at KCSO's Seattle courthouse location. Minimal "pain and suffering" - Annoyance of having to fill out form, the "agony" of the "cashectomy", and about a 15 minute wait before the fingerprinter was free to do her thing with me, but otherwise smooth. Card showed up in the mailbox on March 31, dated April 5.

Have heard from others that the time and "pain level" varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction - Friend in Snoqualmie tells me that they apparently aren't "happy" to pass 'em out there - made him jump through some extra hoops (Something to do with the address on his driver's license not matching his just-moved-to mailing address, so they gave him the runaround - I wasn't clear on the details) and grumbled (quietly, but still grumbling) about having to deal with the headache of issuing to "another one of those gun nuts", but eventually got it to him.

Heard from another friend in Enumclaw that his was, other than the "cash excision" procedure, almost totally painless, and his card arrived in the mailbox slightly more than 2 weeks after putting his paperwork in. Didn't think to ask which department he went through, tho...

Just some datapoints for ya...

(And yes, I agree - Sheriff Sue seems to "have it together" on the whole "When seconds might make the difference, we're probably minutes away, so have a gun and a plan along with your cell phone" concept.)