• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Kentucky

flb_78

imported post

Howdy you'in's!!

New to the state. Just moved to the Danville, KY area yesterday. Spent the last 8 years in Texas and the previous 23 years in Southern Illinois. I have my Texas CHL but as soon as I get my Kentucky driver's license, my Texas CHL will not be valid so I need to investigate the proceedings for a Kentucky permit.

but anywho, thought I'd drop in and say Howdy!

Forrest

JMJOHN0055

imported post

My first call, if you haven't already, would be to call the Boyle County sheriff's office (or neighboring county, depending) and ask them about it. Worst case scenario is that you have to start at square one getting your KY license. This would include taking an 8 hr. course (typically $75 in Louisville), then waiting a couple weeks to get your certification, going to the local sheriffs office and getting the license. Ky is a SHALL issue state, so as long as you meet the requirements KSP (Kentucky State Police) will issue you a license. You can visit http://www.kc3.com for some helpful information and links on CCDW in KY. I have family in Danville, and have carried there myself...you picked a great spot to move to. Hope this helps...

flb_78

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
...BUT...

You can start OCing right away! ;)

no permit required.

-Adam
:celebrate

That's the part Im looking forward to. I'll have to acquire a proper holster for OC though.

Where is one not allowed to open carry?

I really should study this more, but Im still not settled in yet. No electricity at the house yet and my moving containers did not show up on time in Lexington.

flb_78

imported post

Also, what kind of "no gun" signs do I need to watch for?

We were spoiled in Texas in that the business had to post a billboard to ban the legal carry of a concealed handgun.

Are there separate signs for open carry vs. conceal carry?

langzaiguy

imported post

OC is prohibited in bars, schools, and courtrooms.

CC may be banned in public buildings.

Both can be banned on private property, though it is not a criminal offense.

neuroblades

imported post

Langzaiguy is correct, for the CCDW, you have to be a resident of the commonwealth for at least 6 months from the date you get a Ky. license. You can OC immediately though. As long as your sidearm is visible and is recognizable, you're good.

According to what I've been hearing the CCDW class fee might be going up almost 200% in the very near future, bringing it to around $210 complete.

flb_78

All right, finally have internet service at the house.

I stopped by a bank to open an account and there was a sign on the door saying that it was against Kentucky law to conceal carry into a bank. I can't find this on the KSP website. Is this true? If one can't CC into a bank, may they open carry?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to be arrested for something I misinterpreted.

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

* Police station or sheriff's office.
* Detention facility, prison or jail.
* Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
* County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
* Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
* General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
* Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
* Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
* Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
* Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
* Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

langzaiguy

@FLB Haha I posted something about this sometime last year. There's a bank in my town with a sticker like that. These stickers are provided by the KY bankers association. It is NOT against KY law to carry in a bank. I emailed them about it and told them they are either 1)ignorant of the law, or 2)intentionally misleading customers. They emailed me back saying that while it is not against the law to carry in a bank, banks as private property can ban them. I told them that my objection wasn't about their private property rights but their incorrect signage.

So anyway, it is NOT illegal to carry in a bank in KY!