Thread: 1911 and + P ammo

Post imported post

can i use +p ammo in my springfield 1911? book does not say.

Banned

Post imported post

i do no problems at all

Post imported post

Practice with it. You will notice the weights are usually different. Do not shoot 230g +p with a stock recoil spring. Up your spring rate to 19lbs (gov't model) and you can shoot 230g ball and 180-200g +p reliably out of the same gun. If you must have 230g +p go to 21lbs spring, but you should no longer shoot 230g ball range ammo. If you go for the light +p stuff you will have lighter recoil, but may need a weaker spring, and a well tuned/slicked up gun. this would preclude 230g ball range ammo as well.

P.S. 230g +p GDJH generally OVERPENETRATES a human target. stick with maximum 200g +p hollow points for self defense. 230 +p is hunting ammo.

P.P.S. Are you SURE you need to do this? The .45ACP is already a bad-ass round. To be honest, .45acp +p, in heavy weights, is too much for most shooters.
    I carry 200g GDJH +p. I would not recommend it for most people.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

You don't recommend 200g GDHP +P? I've shot 230g Ranger T Series +P and I haven't had any problems. My gun shoots 230g ball ammo fine too. You don't shoot +P all the time. Practice with standard pressure ammo, shoot a few magazines of +P to confirm POI at self defense ranges and to confirm that it will feed properly.
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

God's Plan of Salvation

Post imported post

Adam H wrote:
    You don't recommend 200g GDHP +P? I've shot 230g Ranger T Series +P and I haven't had any problems. My gun shoots 230g ball ammo fine too. You don't shoot +P all the time. Practice with standard pressure ammo, shoot a few magazines of +P to confirm POI at self defense ranges and to confirm that it will feed properly.
    If you are shooting Ranger 230g +p with a stock from you obviously don't know **** about a 1911. You are battering the frame to hell.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

This is pretty good advice...

I shot hot rounds out of my Para (it was a .40, not .45) but the heavier bullet with the higher velocity caused the bushing to hammer the snot out of the plug (that's what the factory tech said anyway). I sent it back to the factory for a new spring which seemed to fix the problem but I was without my baby for over a month.

There is a LOT more energy from the heavier bullet and hotter powder combination... step down a bit in bullet weight and it not only will increase your velocity but puts less stress on the pistol.

Post imported post

good stuff i do shoot conbon 200+p jhp but go to the range with 230 fmj ammo shoots well