• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 and + P ammo

simmonsjoe

imported post

Practice with it. You will notice the weights are usually different. Do not shoot 230g +p with a stock recoil spring. Up your spring rate to 19lbs (gov't model) and you can shoot 230g ball and 180-200g +p reliably out of the same gun. If you must have 230g +p go to 21lbs spring, but you should no longer shoot 230g ball range ammo. If you go for the light +p stuff you will have lighter recoil, but may need a weaker spring, and a well tuned/slicked up gun. this would preclude 230g ball range ammo as well.

P.S. 230g +p GDJH generally OVERPENETRATES a human target. stick with maximum 200g +p hollow points for self defense. 230 +p is hunting ammo.

P.P.S. Are you SURE you need to do this? The .45ACP is already a bad-ass round. To be honest, .45acp +p, in heavy weights, is too much for most shooters.
I carry 200g GDJH +p. I would not recommend it for most people.

Adam H

imported post

You don't recommend 200g GDHP +P? I've shot 230g Ranger T Series +P and I haven't had any problems. My gun shoots 230g ball ammo fine too. You don't shoot +P all the time. Practice with standard pressure ammo, shoot a few magazines of +P to confirm POI at self defense ranges and to confirm that it will feed properly.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Adam H wrote:
You don't recommend 200g GDHP +P? I've shot 230g Ranger T Series +P and I haven't had any problems. My gun shoots 230g ball ammo fine too. You don't shoot +P all the time. Practice with standard pressure ammo, shoot a few magazines of +P to confirm POI at self defense ranges and to confirm that it will feed properly.
If you are shooting Ranger 230g +p with a stock from you obviously don't know shit about a 1911. You are battering the frame to hell.

daddy4count

imported post

This is pretty good advice...

I shot hot rounds out of my Para (it was a .40, not .45) but the heavier bullet with the higher velocity caused the bushing to hammer the snot out of the plug (that's what the factory tech said anyway). I sent it back to the factory for a new spring which seemed to fix the problem but I was without my baby for over a month.

There is a LOT more energy from the heavier bullet and hotter powder combination... step down a bit in bullet weight and it not only will increase your velocity but puts less stress on the pistol.