• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greensboro OC'ers willing to speak to the press...

RayBurton72

imported post

I have been contacted by the local newspaper (News & Record) about OC int he Greensboro area in the run-up to the protest/demonstration in Guilford Battleground Park in August.

I am trying to assist her in sifting through the wealth of information(and mis-information) on OC in general, especially in regards to North Carolina firearms laws.

While I have spent some time discussing OC in general with the reporter, she is in need of more contacts (I cannot be directly quoted for the final article as my wife works for the paper and reporters are not allowed to use an employee's direct relative as a direct source except in rare cases).

Therefore, I am posting an open request to Greensboro area members of this forum who might be interested in, or at least willing to be interviewed by her. if you will let me know your interest by reply post, I will PM you with contact info for me and you can contact me off-forum for further info.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can offer.

Dreamer

imported post

Whatever happened to "tekshogun"? He was in Greensboro, and he would be a real "curveball" to throw at the press as an OC advocate....

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

RayBurton72 wrote:
I have been contacted by the local newspaper (News & Record) about OC int he Greensboro area in the run-up to the protest/demonstration in Guilford Battleground Park in August.

I am trying to assist her in sifting through the wealth of information (and mis-information) on OC in general, especially in regards to North Carolina firearms laws.

While I have spent some time discussing OC in general with the reporter, she is in need of more contacts (I cannot be directly quoted for the final article as my wife works for the paper and reporters are not allowed to use an employee's direct relative as a direct source except in rare cases).

Therefore, I am posting an open request to Greensboro area members of this forum who might be interested in, or at least willing to be interviewed by her. if you will let me know your interest by reply post, I will PM you with contact info for me and you can contact me off-forum for further info.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can offer.
great work - the more open carry gets discussed in teh press the more people will know about it; don;t forget to mention State v Kerner decision to reporters as guaranteeing right to open carry wihtout permit in NC.

farkles

imported post

I would perhaps be willing to speak to reporter anonymously. I would not be okay with using my name because of the clients we have may not enjoy that I am a proud gun owner (I know I'm a pushover, but sometimes professionally you have to be careful not incite your clients). Not sure if this adds any value. PM me if interested. Thanks

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

farkles wrote:
I would perhaps be willing to speak to reporter anonymously
unless you are deep throat reporters have no need for you - we need normal looking and sounding americans to stand up and say normal calm logical n record.

jp49911

imported post

What could an OC'er say who has a pending charge with GPD related to OC??? Hmmm probably not much to help his legal situation. Too bad. He may have had something to offer.

Dreamer

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
What could an OC'er say who has a pending charge with GPD related to OC??? Hmmm probably not much to help his legal situation. Too bad. He may have had something to offer.
NOTHING.

The only people WORSE to talk to than the police while you have charges pending is the press...

If you REALLY want to do this, I would HIGHLY recommend you have your attorney present...

jp49911

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
jp49911 wrote:
NOTHING.

The only people WORSE to talk to than the police while you have charges pending is the press...

If you REALLY want to do this, I would HIGHLY recommend you have your attorney present...
Oh did that sound like I was taking about me? That was "hypothetical" ;)...

You are right; if "someone" where in that situation they'd be better served to sit this one out.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

[Waves hand]

I'll do it.

Sorry I'm not tekshogun.... but I do live in Greensboro, and I do open carry, and I do not have any pending charges of any sort.

Also, I don't OC in my hand, and I don't OC a PLR-16 (or a draco AK pistol) spray painted orange or hello kitty pink!

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bwaahahahaaa, hi guys, been a good while

I may be happy to give a quote.

obviously no one that has been in the news already for (il)legal reasons and stick to the known NC laws. As far as I know, the information put together on those neat-o flyers are still pertinent.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

News & Record printedDoug Clark'sarticle "Showing off Guns Says Armed and Ready"in today's edition of the paper, section A, page 13 (Second Opinion area).

I was a bit miffed by by the time I was finished reading the article.

He admits to knowing/believing there are more guns out there than one would think because North Carolina is a "concealed-carry state" and yet he is fine with that. Doug Clark is fine with "concealed carriers" as if an eight-hour class and shooting 80%in a huge target atseven yards is somehowconsiderably better than any open-carrier. I hope he has taken a concealed carry class and if not, he should even if he doesn't plan on carrying or even owning a gun.

I would argue that anyone that knows open-carry is legal in North Carolina probably understands the laws better than any arbitrary person that had to have it spoon-fed to them in a CCW class. No offense meant to anyone, having taken the class my self.

Also, why is it popular for journalists to make a connection with the Obama administration and carrying a gun openly? In North Carolina, I can assure Clark that no, it has nothing to do with Barack Obama... honestly, I'd be more far more afraid of not having a gun ifDick Cheney were around me.

The kick-in-the-face statement of the article comes at the very end where Clarkreadsanyone that has a visible handgunas being"armed and dangerous" and he wishes they would "put them away".... why would you title the article with "Showing Off Guns Says Armed and Ready" only to flip that at the end.

Mr. Clark, the dangerous people are criminals... those that have committed crimes and those that are willing to commit crimes.... Those that shoot helpless college class presidents, rape people and pillage, kill couples while they're hiking in the mountains, stab people, suffocate people, invade homes.... Clark, even if you'd whether see all guns everywhere gone, fine but that is a Utopian world. As recently proven in the UK, a gunless society just ends up getting shot-up by a criminal with a gun. Either the police have to show up after lots have already died or the shooter has to kill themselves.

There is a deeper issue with Doug Clark's anti-open carry viewpoint. I feel, from the article, it is hoplophobia and he'd rather see them all gone. I don't write this to be insulting to Mr. Clark, but that is how I believe most of the compromising anti-gun establishment feels: "Well, I'd rather see them off the streets completely but since that isn't going to happen, I'd just rather not see them."

I APPRECIATE SEEING OPEN-CARRIERS! I commend them, I recommend them, I defend them! There is typically no better human being than one that is concious about their safety, the safety of others (particularly their loved ones), and concious enough to be prepared and yes, while being visible...

farkles

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
News & Record printedDoug Clark'sarticle "Showing off Guns Says Armed and Ready"in today's edition of the paper, section A, page 13 (Second Opinion area).

I was a bit miffed by by the time I was finished reading the article.

He admits to knowing/believing there are more guns out there than one would think because North Carolina is a "concealed-carry state" and yet he is fine with that. Doug Clark is fine with "concealed carriers" as if an eight-hour class and shooting 80%in a huge target atseven yards is somehowconsiderably better than any open-carrier. I hope he has taken a concealed carry class and if not, he should even if he doesn't plan on carrying or even owning a gun.

I would argue that anyone that knows open-carry is legal in North Carolina probably understands the laws better than any arbitrary person that had to have it spoon-fed to them in a CCW class. No offense meant to anyone, having taken the class my self.

Also, why is it popular for journalists to make a connection with the Obama administration and carrying a gun openly? In North Carolina, I can assure Clark that no, it has nothing to do with Barack Obama... honestly, I'd be more far more afraid of not having a gun ifDick Cheney were around me.

The kick-in-the-face statement of the article comes at the very end where Clarkreadsanyone that has a visible handgunas being"armed and dangerous" and he wishes they would "put them away".... why would you title the article with "Showing Off Guns Says Armed and Ready" only to flip that at the end.

Mr. Clark, the dangerous people are criminals... those that have committed crimes and those that are willing to commit crimes.... Those that shoot helpless college class presidents, rape people and pillage, kill couples while they're hiking in the mountains, stab people, suffocate people, invade homes.... Clark, even if you'd whether see all guns everywhere gone, fine but that is a Utopian world. As recently proven in the UK, a gunless society just ends up getting shot-up by a criminal with a gun. Either the police have to show up after lots have already died or the shooter has to kill themselves.

There is a deeper issue with Doug Clark's anti-open carry viewpoint. I feel, from the article, it is hoplophobia and he'd rather see them all gone. I don't write this to be insulting to Mr. Clark, but that is how I believe most of the compromising anti-gun establishment feels: "Well, I'd rather see them off the streets completely but since that isn't going to happen, I'd just rather not see them."

I APPRECIATE SEEING OPEN-CARRIERS! I commend them, I recommend them, I defend them! There is typically no better human being than one that is concious about their safety, the safety of others (particularly their loved ones), and concious enough to be prepared and yes, while being visible...
Tek, I don't get the paper but wanted to read the article. Can't seem to find it online, do you have a link? Thanks!

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member