• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Times Herald - Profesor of Criminal Justice supports open carry rights

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20100622/OPINION02/6220315

SNIP

Kierkus: Carrying firearms openly is right of Michigan citizens

June 22, 2010

I'd like to respond to the June 16 Times Herald editorial, "Exhibitionists may bring us tougher laws."

The author asks: "Is it legal for two men to walk ... with handguns strapped to their hips? Sure, it's probably legal. Not smart, but legal."

I will refrain from commenting on whether it's "smart" until later, but I want to emphasize it isn't "probably legal," it's definitely legal. This is no legal gray area:

Still, the editorial raises doubts: "Carrying a firearm openly is ... a legal gray area. No federal court has ever recognized open carry as a Second Amendment right ... No state law .... permits or prohibits open carry ... In 2002 ... Attorney General Jennifer Granholm ruled it is legal ..."

This entire line of reasoning is incorrect. In the United States, we don't need laws telling us what we can do. For something to be illegal, it clearly must be prohibited.

For instance, just as there is no law authorizing open carry, there also is no statute permitting kite flying. That doesn't mean kiting is a "legal gray area."

Furthermore, the author misunderstands the role of the attorney general: He or she doesn't make laws. Open carry is legal not because Attorney General Granholm issued an opinion, but because it was never outlawed by the Legislature.

. . .

I find this series of unsupported claims about how openly carried firearms invariably lead to crime and violence particularly troubling. I would challenge anyone to present Michigan examples where open carry has lead to "Western shootouts," or to armed thugs parading through the streets. I am quite certain they won't be able to.

Consequently, the answer to the question "Where does it lead?" is "No where dangerous." Open carry doesn't cause violent crime, nor does it render the police powerless. Research suggests it might make our state safer. The presence of armed, law-abiding individuals (citizens or police officers) tends to deter criminals.

The author concludes:

"Several years ago, when Michigan liberalized its concealed-weapons laws, Dan Lane warned of the folly of putting more guns on the streets ... there will be a public backlash before the average citizen accepts turning the clock back to the Wild West ... Michigan legislators may be compelled to enact more restrictive gun laws."

I don't know Sheriff Lane, but I can tell you his concerns were unfounded. Since Michigan "liberalized" carry laws, our crime rate has not skyrocketed and the fear of "Wild West shootouts" have not materialized.

I can't predict what legislators will do in response to misguided public pressure. I can say if they ban open carry, it will do nothing to reduce crime. It will deprive law-abiding Michigan residents of their rights to self-defense.

scot623

imported post

Although I doubt it will help...it still needed to be said. Anyone who is willing to give up their basic rights in trade for being "comfortable" cannot be reasoned with. I'm glad you signed your article, unlike the spineless jellyfish who wrote the original opinion piece. Thank you.

nobama

imported post

Good job!! You wouldnt believe the actual gun owners I know that say its a "gray area" here in NC.

zpatagus

imported post

CrimDoc wrote:
Thanks Gentlemen ... I appreciate it ... hope it helps.
I wonder if the Director of Public Safety/Campus Police at GVSU feels the same way?