• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hermosa Beach Open Carry Beach Clean-up

Don Tomas

imported post

I read with interest the news article from the Daily Breeze who reported on the event. While brief, it was an absolutely great article, well written and with no negative bias whatsoever. Good old fashioned reporting....just the facts M'aam. Anyway, I sent an email to the reporter, Larry Altmanto thank him for a job well done and would encourage you to do the same.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_15344735?source=rss

Don Tomas

imported post

As a follow-up, I also sent an email to Chief Savelli @ gsavelli@hermosapolice.organd Lt. Gaines @ ggaines@hermosapolice.orgto commend them for their work and to express my appreciation. I would encourage others to do the same. These gentlemen worked with organizers of South Bay Open Carry to make the e-check as easy as possible. The Chiefwas quoted as saying that his department would create a map of Hermosa Beach outlining 1000' school zones where OC is not permitted. It doesn't get more proactive than that.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Don Tomas wrote:
As a follow-up, I also sent an email to Chief Savelli @ gsavelli@hermosapolice.organd Lt. Gaines @ ggaines@hermosapolice.orgto commend them for their work and to express my appreciation. I would encourage others to do the same. These gentlemen worked with organizers of South Bay Open Carry to make the e-check as easy as possible. The Chiefwas quoted as saying that his department would create a map of Hermosa Beach outlining 1000' school zones where OC is not permitted. It doesn't get more proactive than that.

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts...

The fact of the matter is, if the police really wanted to make open carry sucessful and pain free, there would be no (e) check (because itis notstatutorily mandated and in my opinion, a 4th amendment violation)and they would not be producing a map to illustrate where all the schools are located (as this would create evidence of reasonable knowledge of the 1000ft GFSZ). It is much more preferable for the police to have little or no involvment in this activity, other than stopping by to say 'hello' and shaking a few hands.

Don Tomas

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Don Tomas wrote:

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts...

The fact of the matter is, if the police really wanted to make open carry sucessful and pain free, there would be no (e) check (because itis notstatutorily mandated and in my opinion, a 4th amendment violation)and they would not be producing a map to illustrate where all the schools are located (as this would create evidence of reasonable knowledge of the 1000ft GFSZ). It is much more preferable for the police to have little or no involvment in this activity, other than stopping by to say 'hello' and shaking a few hands.

C3-

Agreed. It would be preferable for there to be no contact. However given that those who OC are in the minority and by minority I mean so few people actually OC (compared to CA state populationover 30,000,000) that most wouldn't even consider it a minority. As a percentage, if let's say only 1% of the population OC'd, that would equal 300,000 OC'rs who exercise that right. I think we can both agree that there probably aren't 300,000 OC'rs who are involved with this movement (in CA); perhaps a 1/4 of 1% at the very most. My only point being that because it's so completely random, infrequent and unsual to see law abiding citizens openly carrying firearms in public that LEO's aren't accustomed or necessarily trained to deal with this type of situation (risk). See what I'm saying? As more people exercise this right and LEO's become more accustomed to seeing this sort of thing, I would expect to see e-checks eventually drop by the wayside. Also the public is not educated or informed on the subject. As far as they're concerned it's illegal to carry a gun in the open.So when the inevitable "man with a gun" phone call is made to Police, the Officers respond accordingly (based on their training/experience) to deal with the risk/threat. Overall my belief is that if you choose to OC, you should expect an e-check. LEO's aren't required to do it, but most will, at least for the time being.

As far as sending a pleasant email is concerned, well that's entirely up to you. Remember cops are people too and they haveemotions just like the rest of us. It's nice when people show understanding and appreciation for the work that they do. They have tough jobs and I'm sure it's not too often that someone from the community calls or writes to offer a compliment for the job they are doing. Remember, the Chief of Hermosa Beach didn't have to "go the extra mile" so to speak by accomodating the OC'rs in the way that he did. That demonstration could have had an entirely different outcome. So I prefer offering praise. If nothing else, it will help to associate OC'rs as cordial and polite people who legally exercise their right to OC, which any LEO would favor to the other alternative.

hgreen

imported post

Yes, please do send the police department officials thank you emails, they were very professional and accommodating. You can read more about me meeting with them here: http://www.southbayopencarry.org/2010/06/15/meeting-hermosa-beach-police-department-officials/

While I completely agree that it is unfortunate that I even have to meet with them ahead of time to do something perfectly legal without fear of being hauled away in hand cuffs or thrown to the ground with guns pointed at me, that's the state we live in. Thank you mainstream media!

As for the reporter, he could have done a better job at getting direct information from me. He left a voicemail on my work phone after I had already gone home for the day (the day before the article was published) and even though I responded to his first email asking for an interview within a couple hours of getting it he still ran the article without even talking to me.

There will be many more articles coming soon, I am communication with several other reporters including from our favorite paper, the LA Times :|...

If you are at all interested in helping out our cause (joining the events, sitting on the sidelines video taping, or contributing financially) please visit our website and join our discussion lists and other social networks!

http://www.southbayopencarry.org/

Don Tomas

imported post

hgreen wrote:
Yes, please do send the police department officials thank you emails, they were very professional and accommodating. You can read more about me meeting with them here: http://www.southbayopencarry.org/2010/06/15/meeting-hermosa-beach-police-department-officials/

While I completely agree that it is unfortunate that I even have to meet with them ahead of time to do something perfectly legal without fear of being hauled away in hand cuffs or thrown to the ground with guns pointed at me, that's the state we live in. Thank you mainstream media!

As for the reporter, he could have done a better job at getting direct information from me. He left a voicemail on my work phone after I had already gone home for the day (the day before the article was published) and even though I responded to his first email asking for an interview within a couple hours of getting it he still ran the article without even talking to me.

There will be many more articles coming soon, I am communication with several other reporters including from our favorite paper, the LA Times :|...

If you are at all interested in helping out our cause (joining the events, sitting on the sidelines video taping, or contributing financially) please visit our website and join our discussion lists and other social networks!

http://www.southbayopencarry.org/
I've been following theposts on your website, in fact that's how I became aware of the Hermosa Beach Cleanup. This morning I read about your trip to the Sequoia's. Nice write up. I wasn't aware that you had a forum also.

nogunhere

imported post

Dear ConditionThree
Aren't you concerned about HBPD shooting you? Afterall, there are many people shot by police who don't even have a gun, but are shot by police because the police thought they saw a firearm.

How do you think this beach cleanup is going to support your cause?

Ca Patriot

imported post

nogunhere wrote:
Dear ConditionThree
Aren't you concerned about HBPD shooting you? Afterall, there are many people shot by police who don't even have a gun, but are shot by police because the police thought they saw a firearm.

I nominate this as stupidest post of the year. Congratulations. Now go back to Cal Guns.

hgreen

imported post

Ca Patriot wrote:
nogunhere wrote:
Dear ConditionThree
 Aren't you concerned about HBPD shooting you?  Afterall, there are many people shot by police who don't even have a gun, but are shot by police because the police thought they saw a firearm.

I nominate this as stupidest post of the year.  Congratulations.  Now go back to Cal Guns.

Seconded...

Its very frustrating hearing people hate on the UOC cause while claiming to be 2A supporters in CA.

Clearly the efforts of these 2A supporters has had an EPIC FAIL. It is time for a new approach.
Hence, South Bay Open Carry. http://www.southbayopencarry.org

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

nogunhere wrote:
Dear ConditionThree

In spite of the trollishly delicious and highly inflamatory nature of your post, I will answer your questions anyway.

I have 100% confidence that I willnever be shot by any member of the Hermosa Beach Police Department. It is primarily due to the fact that I am 550 miles from their jurisdiction. Even in my vicinity, I am reasonably certain that the local police will not shoot me provided I do not take any provacative action (I know, because I have had previous police encounters while armed.) - which could not be said of others who were not armed and found themselves being uncooperative or exihibiting unusually twitchy or hostile behavior during a police encounter.

The open carry beach clean up is a display of altruism or community service that makes it difficult to argue that gunowners carry weapons as an extention of their ego- or are exclusively carrying arms to intimidate those that are around them. Instead of being viewed as some swaggering gun toting knuckle dragger, thetrash clean upsoftens the stereotype of gun owners and shows them as regular people who will make sacrifices by contributing to the community they are a part of. This makes them far more approachable than those who meet at a Starbucks to enjoy a cup of coffee.

hgreen

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
The open carry beach clean up is a display of altruism or community service that makes it difficult to argue that gunowners carry weapons as an extention of their ego- or are exclusively carrying arms to intimidate those that are around them. Instead of being viewed as some swaggering gun toting knuckle dragger, the trash clean up softens the stereotype of gun owners and shows them as regular people who will make sacrifices by contributing to the community they are a part of. This makes them far more approachable than those who meet at a Starbucks to enjoy a cup of coffee.

Wow, can I repost this? Well said.