• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A call to arms, so to speak

TyGuy

imported post

If you don't know forum member Shaun Kranish is in the midst of a legal battle for legally carrying his firearm as per 720 ILCS 5/24‑1.6 paragraph c subsection iii.

I would ask that you consider writting the state's attorney a letter or making a phone call to his office to offer your support that he drop the charges against Shaun Kranish.

More information can be found at these links.

Contact info for Joe Bruscato

Joe Bruscato's Facebook page

Facebook group for supporting Shaun Kranish

Petition to drop the charges against Shaun Kranish

You may also use the following form letter if you wish:

Joe Bruscato - State's Attorney
400 West State Street
Rockford, IL 61101

Dear Mr. Bruscato,

I am writing to express my full support of what is known as “container carry” in Illinois, and specifically for Shaun Kranish, the founder of ICarry.org – an organization dedicated to responsible firearms ownership. I am aware of Shaun’s ongoing legal case, and I want you to know that I fully support Shaun Kranish and all other law-abiding FOID card holders in Illinois who follow the law by carrying unloaded and enclosed in a container.

I would urge you to review Shaun’s case and in particular weigh the facts that Shaun is a valuable member of the community, he has a family to take care of, there is no accusation of criminal activity – no alleged victim or crime against a person, no criminal intent on Shaun’s part, and it’s very clear that Shaun is not a criminal.

I believe it’s important for the various state attorneys offices in Illinois to distinguish between people with criminal intent – people who are up to no good – and responsible, law-abiding FOID card holders. As a member of the latter group, I would hope to see states attorneys embrace responsible firearms owners and look for ways we can work together to reduce the criminal misuse of firearms. I know that in most counties in Illinois, they will not prosecute FOID card holders for “container carry.” In some counties they won’t even prosecute FOID card holders for carrying a loaded firearm because they know the rest of the country allows this and lives depend upon self-defense.

I realize that Shaun Kranish’s prosecution began before you were in office, and when you were campaigning you even stated that you would not have pursued this case. This case is of great interest to FOID card holders like me, and I believe prosecutorial discretion should be used so that Shaun’s family does not have to bear the burden of preparing for trial.

I want you to know that I and the vast majority of FOID card holders in Illinois follow the law, as Shaun was, because law and order in society is something we deeply believe in and respect. We do not ignore laws just because we may disagree with them or wish them to be a little different. We will continue to follow Illinois law until the day Illinois joins the rest of the country with some form of Right to Carry in place.

Lastly, I want to sincerely thank you for your outspoken support of Right to Carry. It is clear to me that you understand that FOID card holders who have gone through the background checks, training, and everything else should have a way to carry for their own defense. This means a lot to us and we thank you for publicly supporting our rights. Illinois is undergoing some major changes in firearms rights and we look forward to working with law enforcement to continually educate firearms owners in the law and target the small number of repeat-offender criminals who misuse freedom.

Concerned Citizen,

XXXX