• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conn. GOP AG candidate wants gun training for kids

bennor

imported post

Going to be an interesting race for the AG slot in CT.

http://www.newhavenregister.com/articles/2010/06/22/news/doc4c201101565a6539421373.txt

Conn. GOP AG candidate wants gun training for kids
Published: Tuesday, June 22, 2010

HARTFORD (AP) — The Republican endorsed candidate for Connecticut attorney general is advocating firearms training for children in schools, in scout groups and in summer camps.

Avon attorney Martha Dean said if elected she would explore expanding gun accident prevention programs and rifle club teams in schools.

"As your Attorney General, I will advocate firearms training for boys and girls in schools, in scouts, at camp and elsewhere," she said at a Second Amendment rally in April. "We teach sex education in school, yet we omit the most basic skill needed to exercise fundamental constitutional rights."

Fellow Republican candidate Ross Garber on Monday assailed Dean's comments and said the office of attorney general should not be used to give guns to children or promote personal views.

"As the state's chief civil legal officer, the attorney general should focus on being a strong advocate for the state and its citizens, not pushing a personal political agenda," said Garber in a statement.

Dean stood by her earlier statements Monday, saying she's just a proponent of the laws written in the Constitution and that it was "false" and "intentionally misleading" for Garber to say she advocates giving weapons to children.

"Kids should know how to prevent accidents and they should have access to basic skills that are a part of our constitutional rights," she said.

George Jepsen, the Democrat endorsed candidate, said he objected to Dean's views.

"Guns and juveniles should be a parental choice, not a governmental mandate," he said.

Dean and Garber face each other in the state primary elections Aug. 10.

daddy4count

imported post

I am of the opinion that gun safety should be taught... but by me to my children. I'm not sure this is one of those places I want the gubmint sticking their noses...

crisisweasel

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
I am of the opinion that gun safety should be taught... but by me to my children.  I'm not sure this is one of those places I want the gubmint sticking their noses...

My only concern would be injecting gun politics into the course, and I think that's actually a valid and fairly large concern.

However, if I could be convinced that such a thing would be exclusively centered on safety, I wouldn't oppose it.

For one, I have always rejected the idea that keeping information from kids - on sex, guns - anything dangerous - is a terrible disservice, but beyond that, I think as we are hell bent (I am, anyway) on being a firearms-owning society, it is important that we do all we can to reduce gun accidents.

Demystification of firearms is an important step, I think. But I do have concerns about politics coming into it. I'm sure the anti-gun people would have the same concerns.

I am sure most of us who own guns and are interested in the issue have discussions and sessions with our kids, but my concern is there are a lot of kids out there who will never get the benefit of that. And I really think people ought to have a chance to learn, at very least, how to determine if a gun is loaded, and how to unload it and ensure it is empty, along with the basic gun safety rules.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

daddy4count wrote:
I am of the opinion that gun safety should be taught... but by me to my children. I'm not sure this is one of those places I want the gubmint sticking their noses...
Actually the Constitution (2A) requires that it be taught.

daddy4count

imported post

I would lump it in with sex ed and other such life lessons...

I like that we teach important tools to our kids, but gun safety is something they need to learn far in advance of any school or government program.

I have been teaching my kids the 4 rules of handgun safety since they could talk... they had the first two memorized before they were 5 years old and all of them have a basic understanding of how guns work and how to handle them.

... and what to do when they find one in the woods or on the sidewalk.

I guess after that any more information is good.

Perhaps the biggest worry is that too many people will rely on this training and not take it upon themselves to instill it into the minds of their children before third grade, or sixth grade... or whenever it would start.

I still think this is our responsibility as gun owning parents, not a state or Federal responsibility.

rodbender

imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
daddy4count wrote:

My only concern would be injecting gun politics into the course, and I think that's actually a valid and fairly large concern.

However, if I could be convinced that such a thing would be exclusively centered on safety, I wouldn't oppose it.

For one, I have always rejected the idea that keeping information from kids - on sex, guns - anything dangerous - is a terrible disservice, but beyond that, I think as we are hell bent (I am, anyway) on being a firearms-owning society, it is important that we do all we can to reduce gun accidents.

Demystification of firearms is an important step, I think. But I do have concerns about politics coming into it. I'm sure the anti-gun people would have a coronary episode.

I am sure most of us who own guns and are interested in the issue have discussions and sessions with our kids, but my concern is there are a lot of kids out there who will never get the benefit of that. And I really think people ought to have a chance to learn, at very least, how to determine if a gun is loaded, and how to unload it and ensure it is empty, along with the basic gun safety rules.
Fixed it.