• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank Robber tackled by customer and shot!!

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's too bad this happened in California....most other places the law abiding citizen could have been armed and taken care of the problem quickly.

zack991

imported post

eye95 wrote:
sarapalin wrote:
that how we do it in alaska
No, in AK, you will have a loaded gun and can shoot the SOB. In CA, you get shot in the leg for your efforts.
If your lucky, even if you don't get shot in the leg. The state will do its damnedest to send you to jail and make the criminal out to be the victim of racism.

Jack House

imported post

Once upon a time, I tackled some jackass at my college that was chasing a friend of mine with a knife. He had the exact same complaint(I can't breath). I just told him to shut up and dug my knee into his chest a bit more.

The guy wasn't that big, he was smaller than me and I was one of, if not the biggest guy on campus and it was still very hard for me to get him down, let alone pinned. Ultimately the rest of the big guys should up and only then were we able to pin him. So basically it took three or four of the biggest men on campus to pin this guy. Thank God he didn't have a gun and his knife was in his pocket.

Big Boy

imported post

I'm not so sure I understand the tackler suing the bank....

Good job tackling, very heroic. Still don't understand the suit really...

eye95

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
vegasche1023 wrote:
Because he was injured!!
Yep... and that was the chance he took when HE decided to act - however heroically! How is that the responsibility of the bank?
Oh, that one's easy.

The bank has deep pockets, making anything that happens within a 10 mile radius their responsibility.

Big Boy

Thank you for the agreements hidden in sarcasm. I am in no way against the guy acting. I'm against him thinking the bank owes him something for it. Would it be nice of them? yes. Would it be possibly "morally" right? Maybe. Is it their legal obligation? Hell no.

I do believe somewhere in that video I heard something about the guy wearing "protection." So he may of had some type of body armor on.

KansasMustang

responsibility

I think the bank really owes him nothing, except maybe pay for his medical expenses. Would it be nice if they gave him some kind of reward? Well certainly! but they are not under any obligation, morally or otherwise. It was his decision to stop the criminal and he took it as HIS moral responsibility.

eye95

Responsibility

I don't think they even owe him medical bills.

That's not to say they can't pay them. They just don't "owe" them.

Neplusultra

I don't think they even owe him medical bills.

That's not to say they can't pay them. They just don't "owe" them.

True, but I think society ought to pay for it because he did the very same job a cop would have done and his injuries would have been paid for by the taxpayers.... Just a thought. Perhaps the next proposed law for next year :^).

eye95

"Society" never pays for anything. When we allow ourselves to think of the nebulous "society" as being able to pay for things, we forget that what is really happening is that a powerful few are actually forcing other individuals to pay for it.

If a local community makes the policy decision to have the local taxpayers (not "society") pick up the tab for this man's medical bills, that would be great.

Heartless_Conservative

"Oh, that one's easy.

The bank has deep pockets, making anything that happens within a 10 mile radius their responsibility."

Well if the bank has a no weapons policy he could argue that being disarmed was the reason he was injured in the first place. Of course since its in CA that argument has less weight than if it had been in a state where the .gov isn't the one disarming people.

eye95

"Oh, that one's easy.

The bank has deep pockets, making anything that happens within a 10 mile radius their responsibility."

Well if the bank has a no weapons policy he could argue that being disarmed was the reason he was injured in the first place. Of course since its in CA that argument has less weight than if it had been in a state where the .gov isn't the one disarming people.

Won't work. He does not have to go into the bank where they have (maybe) a no-gun policy. When he goes in, he assumes the risk.

Maverick9110e

I would imagine the litigation has more to do with the fact that the security guard was out standing around by his car 200' feet away and how it placed an unnecessary risk an "theoretically" would have been able to avoid the situation altogether. I'd bet the word negligent is somewhere in that law suit.