• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

*** FORUM MIGRATION MOVED BACK ***

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

The forum will be down starting at 6:00 PM and will be back up on the new software by 8:00 AM Thursday morning (although it may be much sooner if the transition goes smoothly).

:monkey

Thank you all for your patience!

John

TFred

imported post

Just to clarify, scheduled down-time is from:

6 PM Wednesday June 23 through as late as 8 AM Thursday June 24, EDT.

Correct?

14 hours we all have to find something else to do! :shock:

TFred

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

It may well be MUCH less than that but I wanted to give myself some wiggle room. :)

TFred wrote:
Just to clarify, scheduled down-time is from:

6 PM Wednesday June 23 through as late as 8 AM Thursday June 24, EDT.

Correct?

14 hours we all have to find something else to do! :shock:

TFred

Tomas

imported post

If you can, back up what you have in case something goes wrong.

Make sure of all your options.

Double or triple check everything before you commit.

Unless an error is made, it should take no more than a couple hours, but allowing the extra time is always a good idea.

If it gets too messy or looks like it won't work no mater what, cut back to what you have now, and try again later.

Once again, GOOD LUCK!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Doing all those things. :) So ... God willing ... we will have new forum software tomorrow night. :)

Tomas wrote:
If you can, back up what you have in case something goes wrong.

Make sure of all your options.

Double or triple check everything before you commit.

Unless an error is made, it should take no more than a couple hours, but allowing the extra time is always a good idea.

If it gets too messy or looks like it won't work no mater what, cut back to what you have now, and try again later.

Once again, GOOD LUCK!

TFred

imported post

Just thought of this... I have some info in private messages I wouldn't want to lose... I should have obviously copied it before now... will these messages be brought over?

TFred

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

We are going to be using the conversion utility provided by vBulletin for Wowbb conversions so the PM data SHOULD be maintained.

I will keep a complete backup as well so in the unlikely event that something doesn't load, I will still have it.

John

TFred wrote:
Just thought of this... I have some info in private messages I wouldn't want to lose... I should have obviously copied it before now... will these messages be brought over?

TFred

eye95

imported post

jpierce wrote:
The forum will be down starting at 6:00 PM and will be back up on the new software by 8:00 AM Thursday morning (although it may be much sooner if the transition goes smoothly).

:monkey

Thank you all for your patience!

John
Patience, my a**. We want it done, and we want it done now! Remember, we are all armed!

In all seriousness, thanks for all you guys do.

Tomas

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
The most basic question... How do we login? Where do we go to find OCDO?
When we converted two of my sites from other forum software to vB, one thing we DID find out is that folks had to delete all of their cookies for one of those sites or they were unable to log-in gracefully to that one. (In other words, it flat wouldn't work right.)

Might be something to keep in mind if there are problems logging in after the cut. With luck that won't be a problem, but if there is, that's what I would try first...

(Also a lot of old bookmarks will probably not work as expected, and will need to be deleted and re-done.)

TFred

imported post

Believe me, nobody is more anxious for this bb host to be done... but folks, give them a chance... :)

I'm sure they will provide adequate details and procedures needed for the transition.

It's going to be a learning curve for all of us, but I'm certain it will be worth it in the end.

TFred

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

What about the number of posts that each of us have with our screennames? I use them in part, as a reference to that persons credibility. AIf someome with 100 posts calls out someone with 5000, then I raise an eyebrow...

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

What about the number of posts that each of us have with our screennames? I use them in part, as a reference to that persons credibility. AIf someome with 100 posts calls out someone with 5000, then I raise an eyebrow...

wrightme

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
So to increase our cred, we should simply post copies of posts to "up" our post count? Looks like yours are only worth about 1/3 each.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Number of posts will carry over.

stainless1911 wrote:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I will post the link prominently after the conversion and there will be a link on every page of the old forum directing you to the new one.

John

stainless1911 wrote:
The most basic question... How do we login? Where do we go to find OCDO?