Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NO WEAPONS sign at Cracker Barrel in Denham Spings

Post imported post

My girlfriend went to the Cracker Barrel on LA 16 south of Denham Springs by East Over this morning.

She called and told me they had a NO WEAPONS AT THIS LOCATION sign on the window.
    I guess it's time for some emails and phone calls

Post imported post

***Omited***

Post imported post

aadvark wrote:
    Call Lebanon, Tennessee.

The Cracker Barrell Hotline is 1-800-333-9566.

It's not that Cracker Barrel, it's the stores in Louisiana

http://www.crackerbarrelcstores.com/index.html

Post imported post

I was just in the one in Hammond a few days ago. Never noticed a sign and no one said anything about the sidearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

This is the first I've heard of. There was one in Baton Rouge that had a sign behind the counter but it was for employees just turned the wrong way.

This one was on the front window and said, no weapons at this location. It was for the public.

Post imported post

charlie12 wrote:
    I guess it's time for some emails and phone calls.
    Done.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Post imported post

Ditto.

I emailed "Don Senft" and asked for a policy clarification.

Post imported post

this is the response I got.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
    "this is the response I got.
    Strange reply - how do you interpret it?

He heard it through the "grapevine" - that's my line.

Will the sign come down?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Not sure, I sent a reply asking that and if he meant "for our employees" I'll update if I get another response.

Post imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
    Not sure, I sent a reply asking that and if he meant "for our employees" I'll update if I get another response.
    Maybe "by our employees."

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Yeah, I think he meant for the employees, which we've heard before.

I don't think it's a problem to carry at CB.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

If it was for the employees why would it be on the window right beside the door frame facing the outside?

Post imported post

Plenty of speculation could be made. The last line of the response implys that firearms are allowed however I think a little clarification is warranted asking for a definitive response regarding if firearms are permitted when lawfully carried.

Post imported post

charlie12 wrote:
    If it was for the employees why would it be on the window right beside the door frame facing the outside?
    When I sent my reply back I asked that very question. We'll see.

Post imported post

The PDF file sounded like it was written by someone for whom English is not their primary language. Maybe he's just a bad typist but that's what is sounded like to me. Definitely get better clarification.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

We-the-People wrote:
    The PDF file sounded like it was written by someone for whom English is not their primary language. Maybe he's just a bad typist but that's what is sounded like to me. Definitely get better clarification.
    English was butchered in that PDF. :?

Post imported post

Here's mine...the grammar is similar, only worse (or worserer, as Cracker Barrel staff would say):

Mr. Phillips,

I am fully aware there is a grapevine about a store in that area. The sign was created for our employees. I cannot get into get into why.

While we "prefer" no one having a weapon, that was not the intent. We are in the service business and wish to have safe stores for our employees and customers.
    We have " not welcomed" a law abiding customer and have never "barred" a law abiding customer from our stores.

Thanks you for taking the time to write me.

Regards,

Don

Now, let's examine that:

Mr. Phillips,

I am fully aware there is a grapevine about a store in that area. (WTF?!) The sign was created for our employees. (Why not put it behind the counter, facing back and out of the view of patrons, then?) I cannot get into get into why. (I probably couldn't understand you understand you if you did.)

While we "prefer" no one having a weapon, that was not the intent. (It was not the intent of Cracker Barrel to "prefer" no one having a weapon, or does Cracker Barrel "prefer" to not have the intent to ban weapons? If not, then does Cracker Barrel intend to not "prefer" that it is their intent to not "prefer" that you not have the intent to "prefer" to ban weapon carry? Oh, $hit! TAKE THE DAMNED SIGN DOWN!) We are in the service business and wish to have safe stores for our employees and customers. (When at Cracker Barrel, I am in the business of being served, and I do NOT mean on a silver platter to the first predator/junkie/robber/psycho/axe murderer that comes in the store behind me...which is why, of course, I take the necessary precautions). We have " not welcomed" a law abiding customer and have never "barred" a law abiding customer from our stores. (Now, REALLY...WTF?!?)

Thanks you for taking the time to write me. (Thanks you for replying!)

Regards,

Don

Post imported post

I read about a no gun sign in a CB in Baton Rouge about a month ago I think on another forumand when questionedCB said it was for employees and it was just turned wrong where the public could see it.

I know some people that work at a CB and I asked about the sign and if they had one. She said yes it was for them. I went behind the counter and there it was, it was under the lotto machine where only the employees could see it.

Now this guy Don Senft is the Vice President of CB and his emails look like a CB clerk wrote them.

I still don't get what he means by this. "The sign was created for our employees."

So does that mean CB is worried about their employees safety and thinks that sign will keep about the bag guy or is the sign telling their employees not to bring a gun in?

Seems like he doesn't want to answer that.

Post imported post

Saying the sign is meant for employees is crazy. Nobody pays of a lighted sign or a sticker on a window just for empolyees. That's what employee policy handbooks are for. Those books have lists of rules for employees. Things like No smoking while at work inside the store. No eating outside of the break room area. No handing out political or religious materials while at work. No carrying weapons of any type while on duty. No talking on cellphones while at work.

You don't put up a lighted sign for your employees saying No Guns. You put up a sign for customers who enter your store.

If you have a problem with employees carrying guns you make it clear that it is against the rules. You tell them when they are hired that if they bring a gun to work they are fired on the spot. No ifs, ands or buts.

I don't beleive a word that reply from CB says. I call Bovine Feces on it. BOVINE FECES Cracker Barrel. You are full of it, Cracker Barrel.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

I agree, yale. You don't generally have signs posted everywhere for employees. As you noted, it makes no sense. What are they gonna do? Rip the spine out of an employee handbook and plaster the pages all over the door, facing out?

That said, there could, I guess, possibly be another reason - and his reference in both emails about "it's for employees but I can't get into why" may be an indicator thereof. It's a bit odd that he said that, twice, and it makes me wonder if there was a particular incident of an employee having (a) weapon(s), and maybe he was fired and tried to fight it, or they "couldn't" fire him and wanted to, possibly based on the employee saying "I didn't know it was against the rules". Then, counsel may have advised this step. It's a real stretch at best, but that "I can't get into why" seems so odd, even once...said twice, it's, well, at least twice as odd.

Now, I know that Louisiana is an employment-at-will state, and they can fire an employee as easy as the employee can quit (unless discrimination against a "protected class" was involved), and I can't even start to imagine Cracker Barrel employees being union hands, but still, his comments seemed strange, maybe like an employee walked in armed and was "caught" before clocking in or something...I don't know...it's weird at best.

Post imported post

AmosMoses wrote:
    I agree, yale. You don't generally have signs posted everywhere for employees. As you noted, it makes no sense. What are they gonna do? Rip the spine out of an employee handbook and plaster the pages all over the door, facing out?

That said, there could, I guess, possibly be another reason - and his reference in both emails about "it's for employees but I can't get into why" may be an indicator thereof. It's a bit odd that he said that, twice, and it makes me wonder if there was a particular incident of an employee having (a) weapon(s), and maybe he was fired and tried to fight it, or they "couldn't" fire him and wanted to, possibly based on the employee saying "I didn't know it was against the rules". Then, counsel may have advised this step. It's a real stretch at best, but that "I can't get into why" seems so odd, even once...said twice, it's, well, at least twice as odd.

Now, I know that Louisiana is an employment-at-will state, and they can fire an employee as easy as the employee can quit (unless discrimination against a "protected class" was involved), and I can't even start to imagine Cracker Barrel employees being union hands, but still, his comments seemed strange, maybe like an employee walked in armed and was "caught" before clocking in or something...I don't know...it's weird at best.
    Or maybe someone a made threats against their employees.

I know it is the opposite thing that we would do, but it is a fairly typical knee-jerk reaction - have problem, put up sign, problem solved - NOT!

Yata hey

Post imported post

I'm going that way today. I'll take a picture if the sign is still up and post it.

Post imported post

OK here's the update.

I went to the store in question today around lunch time and the sign was GONE.

I looked outside and inside and couldn't find any signs. :celebrate

Post imported post

Were you oc'ing? If so any problems? If not I think this goes in the small victory column.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast