• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NO WEAPONS sign at Cracker Barrel in Denham Spings

AmosMoses

imported post

I agree, yale. You don't generally have signs posted everywhere for employees. As you noted, it makes no sense. What are they gonna do? Rip the spine out of an employee handbook and plaster the pages all over the door, facing out?

That said, there could, I guess, possibly be another reason - and his reference in both emails about "it's for employees but I can't get into why" may be an indicator thereof. It's a bit odd that he said that, twice, and it makes me wonder if there was a particular incident of an employee having (a) weapon(s), and maybe he was fired and tried to fight it, or they "couldn't" fire him and wanted to, possibly based on the employee saying "I didn't know it was against the rules". Then, counsel may have advised this step. It's a real stretch at best, but that "I can't get into why" seems so odd, even once...said twice, it's, well, at least twice as odd.

Now, I know that Louisiana is an employment-at-will state, and they can fire an employee as easy as the employee can quit (unless discrimination against a "protected class" was involved), and I can't even start to imagine Cracker Barrel employees being union hands, but still, his comments seemed strange, maybe like an employee walked in armed and was "caught" before clocking in or something...I don't know...it's weird at best.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AmosMoses wrote:
I agree, yale. You don't generally have signs posted everywhere for employees. As you noted, it makes no sense. What are they gonna do? Rip the spine out of an employee handbook and plaster the pages all over the door, facing out?

That said, there could, I guess, possibly be another reason - and his reference in both emails about "it's for employees but I can't get into why" may be an indicator thereof. It's a bit odd that he said that, twice, and it makes me wonder if there was a particular incident of an employee having (a) weapon(s), and maybe he was fired and tried to fight it, or they "couldn't" fire him and wanted to, possibly based on the employee saying "I didn't know it was against the rules". Then, counsel may have advised this step. It's a real stretch at best, but that "I can't get into why" seems so odd, even once...said twice, it's, well, at least twice as odd.

Now, I know that Louisiana is an employment-at-will state, and they can fire an employee as easy as the employee can quit (unless discrimination against a "protected class" was involved), and I can't even start to imagine Cracker Barrel employees being union hands, but still, his comments seemed strange, maybe like an employee walked in armed and was "caught" before clocking in or something...I don't know...it's weird at best.
Or maybe someone a made threats against their employees.

I know it is the opposite thing that we would do, but it is a fairly typical knee-jerk reaction - have problem, put up sign, problem solved - NOT!

Yata hey

charlie12

imported post

OK here's the update.

I went to the store in question today around lunch time and the sign was GONE.

I looked outside and inside and couldn't find any signs. :celebrate

charlie12

imported post

No I wasn't carrying, I was working on my girlfriend's truck and had been lying down on my right side so I didn't have a gun on.

I was looking for the sign so I could take pictures and it was gone.