• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB 1934 passes out of senate public safety committee

mFonz77

imported post

Hey guys, I am from AZ where we can do things like load our guns, but anyway I've got friends in SD and , well, what can I do to help?

I'd love to see this defeated, but as your reps clearly don't listen to you I'm not sure what, if anything, I might be able to do...??

slowfiveoh

imported post

Ms. Saldana is a tyrant, and a narcissistic representative who does not side with the majority of her constituents, but rather those with whom she agrees, irregardless of sampling size.

She is the very reason I left that state, after initially enlisting to serve from the Sacramento MEPS station, and coming back from combat.

She disgusts me to the core.

Goodbye California.

May you wallow in your nation leading liberal induced debt (Thanks Gray Davis!), and choke yourself to death with your "holier than thou" system of government.

coolusername2007

Here's some wishful thinking...with SCOTUS' incorporation ruling tomorrow, the CA Senate will see AB1934 as a protected right against the States and will kill the bill and get back to work on something much more meaningful like the state budget.

4armed Architect

Here's some wishful thinking...with SCOTUS' incorporation ruling tomorrow, the CA Senate will see AB1934 as a protected right against the States and will kill the bill and get back to work on something much more meaningful like the state budget.

I'm thinking similar thoughts. IANAL so I am wondering if the 2A is incorporated against the States, can someone or some group file an injunction to stop AB1934 from being enforced (assuming it is passed and signed by the Gov.)? If that is possible, doesn't that, indeed, increase the risk that the CA Senate's consideration of this bill is a big fat waste of their time? Of course an injunction wouldn't necessarily be granted, but wouldn't Incorporation would certainly increase the odds that one would? Just askin'.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
We won.

now, my belief is that in the 12th, when we fight for AB1934, we will be able to KILL THE BILL.

I'm trying to understand when AB1934 will be heard in the Senate Appropriations Committee. I see on the Senate calendar that they will be in summer recess after passing of a budget. If so, will the Appropriations Committee meet on Monday, July 12th as it has been reported? I've also seen a report that AB1934 will bypass the Appropriations Committee and go straight to the floor. Anyone know what the straight scoop is?

Wc

AB 1934 has been recommended to bypass Appropriations and go directly to Senate Floor. The recommendation is due to a cost of less than $50K. It will be heard on Senate floor sometime in August.

Aug. 2 Legislature reconvenes from Summer Recess (J.R. 51(b)(2)).
Aug. 13 Last day for fiscal committees to hear and report bills to the Floor
(J.R. 61(b)(14)).
Aug. 16 - 31 Floor session only. No committee may meet for any purpose
(J.R. 61(b)(15)).
Aug. 20 Last day to amend on the Floor (J.R. 61(b)(16)).
Aug. 31 Last day for any bill to be passed (Art. IV, Sec 10(c), J.R. 61(b)(17)).
Final Recess begins on adjournment (J.R. 51(b)(3)).
Sept. 30 Last day for Governor to sign or veto bills passed by the Legislature before Sept. 1
and in the Governor’s possession on or after Sept. 1 (Art. IV, Sec.10(b)(2)).

Sons of Liberty

AB 1934 has been recommended to bypass Appropriations and go directly to Senate Floor. The recommendation is due to a cost of less than $50K. It will be heard on Senate floor sometime in August.
[SNIP]

Who made this recommendation? Who approves this recommendation? Is there anyway to object to this recommendation? Has the reommendation been approved yet? How do we find out?

Is the cost of our freedom and liberty less than $50K? Will the cost to the state of pending court battles going to be less than $50K? Will the cost of settlements and awards be less than $50K? I think not! :mad:

Sonora Rebel

“The general misconception is that any statute passed by legislators bearing the appearance of law constitutes the law of the land. The Constitution of the United States is the supreme law of the land, and any statue, to be valid, must be in agreement. It is impossible for both the Constitution and a law violating it to be valid; one must prevail. This is succinctly stated as follows:

The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.

An unconstitutional law, in legal contemplation, is as inoperative as if it had never been passed. Such a statute leaves the question that it purports to settle just as it would be had the statute not been enacted.”
“Since an unconstitutional law is void, the general principals follow that it imposes no duties, confers no rights, creates no office, bestows no power or authority on anyone, affords no protection, and justifies no acts performed under it..
A void act cannot be legally consistent with a valid one.

An unconstitutional law cannot operate to supersede any existing valid law.
Indeed, insofar as a statute runs counter to the fundamental law of the land, it is superseded thereby.

No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” Sixteenth American Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 177. (late 2nd Ed. Section 256)

Sons of Liberty

I sent an email to Senator Dutton and got the following email back on July 8th on my question of when AB1934 will be heard in the Senate Appropriations Committee:

Because the legislature is in recess, there is no pending schedule for committee hearings.

I am sending you a link to the resource I use to check on legislation and calendar issues. Go to www.sen.ca.gov and click on legislation. Once there, enter the bill info and run a search. On the bill page, there is a link for 'status.' Here, you will find out where the bill is currently located, and if the bill is scheduled for a committee hearing or floor vote, that will show as well.

If there is no hearing date, it is not on a calendar. You can check back to find out when it is scheduled for a hearing or reading. Also, you can find out at this site how members voted on various legislation.

By the way, the legislature is in recess, but Senator Dutton is not. He is up in Sacramento today working on the budget, and he will continue to do so until the process is complete. He is not going on vacation, nor is he spending time at home with his family and his gun dog!!!

I hope this helps -- please let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,

Jennifer

Here's what the current bill status says:

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 1934
AUTHOR(S) : Saldana and Ammiano (Coauthor: Lieu).
TOPIC : Firearms.
HOUSE LOCATION : SEN
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 06/30/2010

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 06/30/2010
LAST HIST. ACTION : From committee chair, with author's amendments: Amend,
and re-refer to committee. Read second time, amended,
and re-referred to Com. on APPR.
COMM. LOCATION : SEN APPROPRIATIONS

So, I guess the bill is going to the Senate Appropriations Committee, but it's not currently scheduled? :confused: Currently, the session is in recess...So, no Senate Appropriations Committee on July 12th as previously reported??? :confused:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
So, I guess the bill is going to the Senate Appropriations Committee, but it's not currently scheduled? :confused: Currently, the session is in recess...So, no Senate Appropriations Committee on July 12th as previously reported??? :confused:

Next stop is the Senate floor for a vote- It bybassed the appropriations committee because it was determined that AB1934 would have little fiscal impact. It will be voted on by the whole Senate next month and then, on to the Governor's desk.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
AB1934 effectively bans open carry (it may or may not, depending on how convoluted it is). Concealed carry is "permitted" to a select few number of citizens of California since "may issue" is effectively "no issue." You won't be able to carry at all, either openly or concealed, which is effectively a gun ban. And this bill will cost the taxpayers less than $50,000? Even as an outsider I do believe the legal fees defending it will gobble up much of that $50,000.

Michigander

Even as an outsider I do believe the legal fees defending it will gobble up much of that $50,000.

50 grand is meaningless chump change. In the wake of Heller and now McDonald, I believe the state will loose many millions in law suits regarding unconstitutional gun laws, and that doesn't even rely on AB1934 passing. As is, the state is criminally out of line, and a lot of really pissed off people will be suing, such as the Pink Pistols.

Results are never guaranteed, but we may rest assured it will be expensive.

Sons of Liberty

Next stop is the Senate floor for a vote- It bybassed the appropriations committee because it was determined that AB1934 would have little fiscal impact. It will be voted on by the whole Senate next month and then, on to the Governor's desk.

I have still to see the source that this bill will bypass the Senate Appropriations Committee. Do you know who the source is? If you do, I would like to confirm through Senator Dutton's office.

If it does bypass the Committee, the Senate will have placed the value of Californians' Right-to-Bear arms at around 1/10th of a penny per person ($50,000/38,000,000 people)! :banghead:

And for about a penny a person, they will outlaw all of our Constitutional rights through their legislative tyranny! But before they do this, they must minimize the ability for people to physically resist. That's what AB1934 and other illegal gun laws are all about.