Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Scott to hold Gun Show Loophole Hearing

Post imported post

From SAF June Newsletter:

GUN SHOW BILL MAY GET JUDICIARY HEARING
    The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has convinced Rep. Bobby Scott (DVA)
    to hold a hearing on legislation to require FBI background checks on all gun
    purchases at gun shows. Scott chairs the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and
    Homeland Security of the House Judiciary Committee, and told gun control leaders he
    would hold the hearing soon.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:

Homeland Security of the House Judiciary Committee, and told gun control leaders he
    That'll be worth coming to town and filming.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

That'll be worth coming to town and filming.
    Where and when is the meeting? Link?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Clear my calendar!

Heck, I might even get a haircut before attending.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

We need to squash Bobby Scott's gun grabbing proclivities.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

I found the link to the Committee Meeting Schedule http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/calendar.html I didn't see it listed yet unless it is burried someplace.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

Post imported post

I could not findthesub-committee meeting either.

Post imported post

We need a serious "Dump Bobby the Gun Grabber" campaign.

Post imported post

Found It - July 14! I had to look on the Brady Website (Yuck - I feel unclean and need to take a shower!)

On Wednesday, July 14, Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA) will host a briefing before his Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security on H.R. 2324, the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2009.

The briefing will feature Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) and Rep. Mike Castle (R-DE) who introduced the bill, along with other supporting witnesses who will make the case ....(The rest is deleted to prevent mass vomiting from OCDO members.)

Warning: This link will take you to one of the most vile, disgusting and perverted places on the internet.

Link:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legisla...unshowloophole

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    We need a serious "Dump Bobby the Gun Grabber" campaign.
    Then we need aviable alternative to him. This clown is my representative...I want to say he ran unopposed in his last election. I'm up for working on a campaign for a viable candidate though.

Post imported post

Thanks to Rep. Scott for Pledging Hearings on Gun Show Loophole Bill

May 19, 2010

Washington, D.C. - The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence today expressed their appreciation to Congressman Bobby Scott (D-VA) for making a commitment to hold a hearing on legislation to close the gun shop loophole.

A bill requiring Brady background checks on all firearms purchases at gun shows was introduced last year by Representatives Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) and Michael Castle (R-DE). Scott, who chairs the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security of the House Judiciary Committee, pledged to hold the hearing at a recent meeting with Lori Haas, whose daughter, Emily Haas, survived the April 2007 Virginia Tech shooting that left 32 dead.

“Our organizations look forward to working together with Congressman Scott and the rest of the committee as we move forward to pass this critical legislation,” said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign.

“This hearing will show that gun shows are a venue where felons, domestic abusers and others prohibited from purchasing firearms can acquire guns with no background check and no questions asked. The passage of this legislation is long overdue” said Josh Horwitz, Executive Director of the Coalition.

Last week, 65 family members of fallen and wounded victims and nine gunshot survivors from the Virginia Tech University tragedy of 2007 sent a letter to Rep. Scott thanking him for making the commitment that as chair of the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security of the House Judiciary Committee he would hold hearings, stating that:

“We, the family members and the survivors of the tragedy at Virginia Tech are committed to closing the gun show loophole, one of the last remaining recommendations in the (Virginia) Governor’s Panel Report… We especially would like to thank you for your commitment to hold House Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security hearings on legislation to close the Gun Show Loophole.”

Signers of the letter include the following gunshot victims from Virginia Tech Kristina Heegar Anderson, Katelyn Carney, Allison Cook, Colin Goddard, Lily Habtu, Emily Haas, Sean McQuade, Derek O’Dell and Kevin Sterne.

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Found It - July 14! I had to look on the Brady Website (Yuck - I feel unclean and need to take a shower!)

On Wednesday, July 14, Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA) will host a briefing before his Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security on H.R. 2324, the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2009.

The briefing will feature Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) and Rep. Mike Castle (R-DE) who introduced the bill, along with other supporting witnesses who will make the case ....(The rest is deleted to prevent mass vomiting from OCDO members.)

Warning: This link will take you to one of the most vile, disgusting and perverted places on the internet.

Link:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legisla...unshowloophole
    Good find!

July 14th - its a date.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Time for Ed's orange "Guns Save Lives" stickers to go national.

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Time for Ed's orange "Guns Save Lives" stickers to go national.
    They have to some degree, I have sent them to multiple other states and they have been seen across the country and in Europe via news reports.

BTW - The GSL stickers are a product of VCDL and have the web site (vcdl.org) printed on them.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Wouldn't they have to figure out yet another way to butcher the Interstate Commerce Clause for such a law to be legal? Not that they would have any trouble doing so...

TFred

Post imported post

The BATFE position is that all guntransactions are interstate commerce. Read their Montana Firearms freedom Act Brief.

They are wrong, but that is their position.

Post imported post

This Republican from Virginia is on the subcommittee,
    and is not listed as one of the bill's co-sponsors:

The Honorable J. Randy Forbes
    United States House of Representatives
    2438 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20515-4604
    DC Phone: 202-225-6365
    DC Fax: 202-226-1170

WWW Homepage: http://randyforbes.house.gov/

District Offices:

425 South Main Street, Suite H
    Emporia, VA 23847
    Voice: 434-634-5575
    FAX: 434-634-0511

2903 Boulevard, Suite B
    Colonial Heights, VA 23834
    Voice: 804-526-4969
    FAX: 804-526-7486

505 Independence Parkway,
    Suite 104
    Chesapeake, VA 23320
    Voice: 757-382-0080
    FAX: 757-382-0780

Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

user wrote:

District Offices:

Emporia, VA 23847

2903 Boulevard, Suite B

Suite 104
    Chesapeake, VA 23320
    I called Forbes (Chesapeake) office to express my opposition to closing the non-existent gun show loophole. To my chagrin, I had to actually argue with the secretary to get her to accept my protest. She kept insisting that I call Bobby Scott because I live in Newport News.:X

Edited to add:

I called Rob Wittman's (Grafton, Va) office to voice my concerns, and got the "summer help", an intern who couldn't spell VCDL or understand gun show loophole. :?

A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    user wrote:

District Offices:

Emporia, VA 23847

2903 Boulevard, Suite B

Suite 104
    Chesapeake, VA 23320
    I called Forbes (Chesapeake) office to express my opposition to closing the non-existent gun show loophole. To my chagrin, I had to actually argue with the secretary to get her to accept my protest. She kept insisting that I call Bobby Scott because I live in Newport News.:X

Edited to add:

I called Rob Wittman's (Grafton, Va) office to voice my concerns, and got the "summer help", an intern who couldn't spell VCDL or understand gun show loophole. :?
    Hmmmm....couldn't spell VCDL? Hopefullythe personcan figure out what numberto call ifthey need to call 911

Post imported post

Where will this hearing be held?

Post imported post

DC

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    user wrote: ", an intern who couldn't spell VCDL or understand gun show loophole. :?
    You sure it wasn't a Hanover Deputy?:celebrate

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Hmmmm....couldn't spell VCDL? Hopefullythe personcan figure out what numberto call ifthey need to call 911
    Many, many years ago, I was a police dispatcher. Someone once called the PD's main number because they were trying to "dial nine eleven and there is no eleven on the phone".

I shat you not.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Many, many years ago, I was a police dispatcher. Someone once called the PD's main number because they were trying to "dial nine eleven and there is no eleven on the phone".

I shat you not.
    They just didn't no how to spell rite.

Yata hey

Post imported post

From what I read, it's already over, and it wasn't really a "hearing", it was a "briefing". I.e., Bobby Scott pontificated for a while and that was it.

I really want to know, now, why he doesn't want me to be able to defend myself, my home, and my family. Why is that, Bobby?
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast