• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bobby Scott to hold Gun Show Loophole Hearing

Thundar

imported post

From SAF June Newsletter:

GUN SHOW BILL MAY GET JUDICIARY HEARING
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has convinced Rep. Bobby Scott (DVA)
to hold a hearing on legislation to require FBI background checks on all gun
purchases at gun shows. Scott chairs the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and
Homeland Security of the House Judiciary Committee, and told gun control leaders he
would hold the hearing soon.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thundar wrote:

Homeland Security of the House Judiciary Committee, and told gun control leaders he
That'll be worth coming to town and filming.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Thundar wrote:

That'll be worth coming to town and filming.
Where and when is the meeting? Link?

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Clear my calendar!

Heck, I might even get a haircut before attending.:uhoh:

stay safe.

Thundar

imported post

Found It - July 14! I had to look on the Brady Website (Yuck - I feel unclean and need to take a shower!)

On Wednesday, July 14, Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA) will host a briefing before his Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security on H.R. 2324, the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2009.

The briefing will feature Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) and Rep. Mike Castle (R-DE) who introduced the bill, along with other supporting witnesses who will make the case ....(The rest is deleted to prevent mass vomiting from OCDO members.)

Warning: This link will take you to one of the most vile, disgusting and perverted places on the internet.

Link:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/backgroundchecks/gunshowloophole

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Thundar wrote:
We need a serious "Dump Bobby the Gun Grabber" campaign.
Then we need aviable alternative to him. This clown is my representative...I want to say he ran unopposed in his last election. I'm up for working on a campaign for a viable candidate though.

Thundar

imported post

Thanks to Rep. Scott for Pledging Hearings on Gun Show Loophole Bill

May 19, 2010

Washington, D.C. - The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence today expressed their appreciation to Congressman Bobby Scott (D-VA) for making a commitment to hold a hearing on legislation to close the gun shop loophole.

A bill requiring Brady background checks on all firearms purchases at gun shows was introduced last year by Representatives Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) and Michael Castle (R-DE). Scott, who chairs the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security of the House Judiciary Committee, pledged to hold the hearing at a recent meeting with Lori Haas, whose daughter, Emily Haas, survived the April 2007 Virginia Tech shooting that left 32 dead.

“Our organizations look forward to working together with Congressman Scott and the rest of the committee as we move forward to pass this critical legislation,” said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign.

“This hearing will show that gun shows are a venue where felons, domestic abusers and others prohibited from purchasing firearms can acquire guns with no background check and no questions asked. The passage of this legislation is long overdue” said Josh Horwitz, Executive Director of the Coalition.

Last week, 65 family members of fallen and wounded victims and nine gunshot survivors from the Virginia Tech University tragedy of 2007 sent a letter to Rep. Scott thanking him for making the commitment that as chair of the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security of the House Judiciary Committee he would hold hearings, stating that:

“We, the family members and the survivors of the tragedy at Virginia Tech are committed to closing the gun show loophole, one of the last remaining recommendations in the (Virginia) Governor’s Panel Report… We especially would like to thank you for your commitment to hold House Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security hearings on legislation to close the Gun Show Loophole.”

Signers of the letter include the following gunshot victims from Virginia Tech Kristina Heegar Anderson, Katelyn Carney, Allison Cook, Colin Goddard, Lily Habtu, Emily Haas, Sean McQuade, Derek O’Dell and Kevin Sterne.

[align=center][/align]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Found It - July 14! I had to look on the Brady Website (Yuck - I feel unclean and need to take a shower!)

On Wednesday, July 14, Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA) will host a briefing before his Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security on H.R. 2324, the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2009.

The briefing will feature Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) and Rep. Mike Castle (R-DE) who introduced the bill, along with other supporting witnesses who will make the case ....(The rest is deleted to prevent mass vomiting from OCDO members.)

Warning: This link will take you to one of the most vile, disgusting and perverted places on the internet.

Link:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/backgroundchecks/gunshowloophole
Good find!

July 14th - its a date. :D

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Time for Ed's orange "Guns Save Lives" stickers to go national.
They have to some degree, I have sent them to multiple other states and they have been seen across the country and in Europe via news reports.

BTW - The GSL stickers are a product of VCDL and have the web site (vcdl.org) printed on them.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Wouldn't they have to figure out yet another way to butcher the Interstate Commerce Clause for such a law to be legal? Not that they would have any trouble doing so...

TFred

Thundar

imported post

The BATFE position is that all guntransactions are interstate commerce. Read their Montana Firearms freedom Act Brief.

They are wrong, but that is their position.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This Republican from Virginia is on the subcommittee,
and is not listed as one of the bill's co-sponsors:

The Honorable J. Randy Forbes
United States House of Representatives
2438 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-4604
DC Phone: 202-225-6365
DC Fax: 202-226-1170

WWW Homepage: http://randyforbes.house.gov/

District Offices:

425 South Main Street, Suite H
Emporia, VA 23847
Voice: 434-634-5575
FAX: 434-634-0511

2903 Boulevard, Suite B
Colonial Heights, VA 23834
Voice: 804-526-4969
FAX: 804-526-7486

505 Independence Parkway,
Suite 104
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Voice: 757-382-0080
FAX: 757-382-0780

2a4all

imported post

user wrote:

District Offices:

Emporia, VA 23847

2903 Boulevard, Suite B

Suite 104
Chesapeake, VA 23320
I called Forbes (Chesapeake) office to express my opposition to closing the non-existent gun show loophole. To my chagrin, I had to actually argue with the secretary to get her to accept my protest. She kept insisting that I call Bobby Scott because I live in Newport News.:X

Edited to add:

I called Rob Wittman's (Grafton, Va) office to voice my concerns, and got the "summer help", an intern who couldn't spell VCDL or understand gun show loophole. :?

fully_armed_biker

imported post

2a4all wrote:
user wrote:

District Offices:

Emporia, VA 23847

2903 Boulevard, Suite B

Suite 104
Chesapeake, VA 23320
I called Forbes (Chesapeake) office to express my opposition to closing the non-existent gun show loophole. To my chagrin, I had to actually argue with the secretary to get her to accept my protest. She kept insisting that I call Bobby Scott because I live in Newport News.:X

Edited to add:

I called Rob Wittman's (Grafton, Va) office to voice my concerns, and got the "summer help", an intern who couldn't spell VCDL or understand gun show loophole. :?
Hmmmm....couldn't spell VCDL? Hopefullythe personcan figure out what numberto call ifthey need to call 911 :banghead: