Thread: OC in Kalamazoo Area Meijer and Other Stores

Post imported post

I was wondering if anybody know whether or not Kalamazoo and/or Portage Meijer allow OC. Also if they know of any other stores that are allow or do not allow OC. I have been into Steak n Shake and Taco Bobs and had no problem. I go to Taco Bobs a lot so I have known both the employees there for a little while and neither of them cared. One of them supported me.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Post imported post

xmanhockey7 wrote:
    I was wondering if anybody know whether or not Kalamazoo and/or Portage Meijer allow OC. Also if they know of any other stores that are allow or do not allow OC. I have been into Steak n Shake and Taco Bobs and had no problem. I go to Taco Bobs a lot so I have known both the employees there for a little while and neither of them cared. One of them supported me.
    walmart allows customer carry.

meijer,as far as i know,leaves it up to the store.

ive been told steak n shake does not allow customer carry,but if they are letting you in,dont tell them not to!
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

Yeah I went in about 12:30am so maybe that was it but nobody there had a problem even the manager.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Post imported post

I don't know about either Meijer as I rarely shop there... Perhaps EM87 might know he will be along any time I am sure!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

If there is not a sign posted very obviously at the entrance, assume you can carry, don't look for someone to ask. You don't ask them if they allow sweaters do you?

It is better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    If there is not a sign posted very obviously at the entrance, assume you can carry, don't look for someone to ask. You don't ask them if they allow sweaters do you?

It is better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.
    +678695423278976432132345679
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

I've never been kicked out.

But I'm pretty sure they called the cops on me, at the one near I94 on Westnedge.

-Richard-

Post imported post

I've OC'd in all the area Meijer Stores with no problem. By the same token, I'm not jumping around going 'look at me, look at me!!

I asked my 16yo (at the time) daughter walk about 4 paces behind me and had her note how many people even were aware I was carrying... she was amazed at the low number.

Carry on

Post imported post

I OCed at the Dewitt Meijer last night after the car show. Only person to say anything was the cashier and she just though I was an LEO or undercover. I told her if I was undercover I wouldn't be hiding it very well.

Post imported post

jmlefler wrote:
    I've OC'd in all the area Meijer Stores with no problem. By the same token, I'm not jumping around going 'look at me, look at me!!

I asked my 16yo (at the time) daughter walk about 4 paces behind me and had her note how many people even were aware I was carrying... she was amazed at the low number.

Carry on
    I'll catch heck for this... but what the hey...

I strongly believe that how a person presents themselves while open carrying is a determining factor in whether or not the open carrying is accepted.. or even noticed.

A well dressed and well groomed man/woman behaving in a confident respectable and responsible manner draws less attention and is more likely to be unnoticed or simply accepted, gun and all, than a person who appears scruffy (I understand about being scruffy due to work... that is not what I'm talking about) or outlandish in manner of dress and grooming.

Should it be that way? Of course not... manner of dress or grooming do not, by themselves, make a person less respectable or responsible... but it does give the appearance of not being those things.

And, like it or not, people being people and wired as people... people make judgments based upon appearance. People most certainly do "judge a book by it's cover".

I'm not suggesting anything to anyone.... nor am I coming down on anyone.... just pointing out a facet of human nature. A facet that, if understood and capitalized on, can help further the acceptance of OC.... or impact OC, and the person OC'ing, in a negative way.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:
    jmlefler wrote:
    I've OC'd in all the area Meijer Stores with no problem.* By the same token, I'm not jumping around going 'look at me, look at me!!

Carry on

I strongly believe that how a person presents themselves while open carrying is a determining factor in whether or not the open carrying is accepted.. or even noticed.

A well dressed and well groomed man/woman behaving in a confident respectable and responsible manner draws less attention and is more likely to be unnoticed or simply accepted, gun and all, than a person who appears scruffy (I understand about being scruffy due to work... that is not what I'm talking about) or outlandish in manner of dress and grooming.

Should it be that way? Of course not... manner of dress or grooming do not, by themselves, make a person less respectable or responsible... but it does give the appearance of not being those things.

And, like it or not, people being people and wired as people... people make judgments based upon appearance. People most certainly do "judge a book by it's cover".

I'm not suggesting anything to anyone.... nor am I coming down on anyone.... just pointing out a facet of human nature. A facet that, if understood and capitalized on, can help further the acceptance of OC.... or impact OC, and the person OC'ing, in a negative way.
    You are right! I can tell you this is a fact!!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Bikenut wrote:
    jmlefler wrote:

Carry on

Agreed and noted in my own carry experiences.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    I don't know about either Meijer as I rarely shop there... Perhaps EM87 might know he will be along any time I am sure!
    Here I am!

I have been OCing at the Westnedge Meijer for quite some time now. Many months ago an employee (middle aged man, don't think he was a manager) told me that I couldn't OC there. I went a long while without OCing there but have been back recently (OCing) with no problems.

That's as much as an answer as I can give. They don't seem to have a set policy on it. Maybe I should ask the store manager.

EDIT: Before someone asks, no, I did not ask permission to return while OCing. I just figure that the guy who asked me not to do it (said he was a gun owner himself) didn't mention it to many people because he didn't make a big deal about it. Because it happened many months ago and he probably doesn't even remember me, I doubt I'm on trespass warning, which is why I returned.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
    autosurgeon wrote:
    Bikenut wrote:
    jmlefler wrote:

Carry on

Agreed and noted in my own carry experiences.
    i agree and have to admit a few times i was less than groomed. unemployed right now so not always clean shaven. working on yard or jeep you get a little grubby and run up to store to get something. i have several pairs of camo shorts. funny because i was never in the military and i don't hunt. i like them for all the pockets but try not wear when i OC to eliminate the appearance of mr. loner potential shooting spree guy.if this is the case i tend to go extra out of my way to be reassuring and congenial for anybody i come in contact with.

Post imported post

I OC regularly in several Meijer, Walmart, other local stores and restaurantsin the Kalamazoo and Battle Creek area.

Haven't had an issue yet.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:

You couldn't be more right.

I'veOCed in:

Madison Heights

Royal Oak

Warren

Rachester Hills

Alburn Hills

Sterling Heights

and sevral other Meijer stores and never once had an issue, I OC in Meijer probibly once a week or so. I am sure the Marrysville Meijer will be next.

God Bless
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

I've OC'd countless times at Meijers and Wal-Mart on Shaver Rd, several times at Meijers on Westnedge, Wal-Mart and Meijers at 9th st., and damn near everywhere in Kzoo and Portage. Wal-Marts, Walgreens, Meijers, Game Stop, Chili's, Applebee's, Barnes & Noble, Biggby, Qdoba, every fast food joint, Target, Gander Mtn, Lowes, Menards, DQ, Toys R' Us, Schlotzky's, Big Burrito, CD Warehouse/Green Light Music, all gas stations, Dairy Mart, Old Country Buffet, Friday's, Bob Evans, Denny's, Bronson Park, Celery Flats.... the list goes on. Never an issue. Any questions? lol

any meijer issues with OC be sure to mention that in january 3 meijer stores were all robbed at gunpoint simultaneously with hostages taken all early in the morning. commerce, northville, and i think livonia. police said inside job no doubt. they were robbed by their own people who KNOW they don't allow OC in there. surprised they didn't check their work schedule on the way out.