Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to McDonald

Post imported post

With only two more regularly scheduled days for the release of opinions, it seems like it is taking forever for the McDonald ruling to be released.

Acording to SCOTUSblog.com, Thursday and next Monday are the only two remaining days of the current session where opinions would be released on a regular (expected) schedule.

In the mean time, a Google News search on the subject turned up this interesting article.

The anticipation is tough!

TFred

Post imported post

Update: The SCOTUSblog.com site published an entry this morning which concludes with:
    At this point, we’ve got twelve cases to go. They include Bilski, the super-hot patent case; the trio of “honest services” cases (including Skilling v. United States); McDonald, the Chicago gun rights case; and a couple of big First Amendment cases. Stay tuned – we’ll have opinions on Thursday and Monday, and probably at least on one other day.
    TFred

Post imported post

Much more important than when the decision is released is who writes the opinion. I bet Sotomayor writes the dissenting opinion. I think it will be Ilito.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Much more important than when the decision is released is who writes the opinion. I bet Sotomayor writes the dissenting opinion. I think it will be Ilito.
    I think I would probably be quite happy for Sotomayor to spend the rest of her career writing every dissenting opinion issued.

TFred

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Heh heh. Well said.

Post imported post

Now wouldn't it be the cat's meow if Sotomayor wrote the majority opinion and it was the one we are waiting for? We would hear the cries from DC for weeks!!!!!!
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

It's awful hot today for "you-know-where" to be freezing over...

I'm just saying...

:?

TFred

Post imported post

McDonald not issued today.

http://www.scotusblog.com/

TFred

Banned

Post imported post

I read that alito had the case and it should not be issued this morning...

Just announced the term ends Monday June 28, 2010 and there are four cases left undecided. It'll be a long weekend.

Post imported post

SCOUTU Blog just said MacDonald will be next Monday
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

No opinion in McDonald v. Chicago today.

According to SCOTUS Blog the Chief Justice has announced that the court will have it's final opinions on Monday the 28th and that will close the term.

The opinion in McDonald v. Chicago will come on Monday morning after 10:00 AM and they think Alito will have it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Toymaker wrote:

According to SCOTUS Blog the Chief Justice has announced that the court will have it's final opinions on Monday the 28th and that will close the term.

The opinion in McDonald v. Chicago will come on Monday morning after 10:00 AM and they think Alito will have it.
    To be continued..........

Will be a long wait until Monday.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Toymaker wrote:

To be continued..........

Will be a long wait until Monday.

Yata hey
    Yes it is. For once, I'm looking forward to a Monday...
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Post imported post

Since Alito is supposed to be writing the opinion and he is one of the conservative justices, I suppose that would be a good sign that the SCOTUS will rule in favor of incorporation?
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

God's Plan of Salvation

Post imported post

Adam H wrote:
    Since Alito is supposed to be writing the opinion and he is one of the conservative justices, I suppose that would be a good sign that the SCOTUS will rule in favor of incorporation?
    hmmm... sounds like a reasonable assumption to me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

That much has never really been in doubt by any serious analysis. The questions are just how much ground are we going to cover here, with regard to what are "reasonable" restrictions.

Although there is no particular reason for them to do so, legally, it's my hope that the majority of justices have been following how DC has blatantly tried to ignore or walk the finest line around their Heller ruling, and that they take some time to make a more explicit and ... well ... reasonable definition of "reasonable" this time.

No doubt it will be a very much anticipated case shortly after 10 AM on Monday morning.

By the way, the only reason the SCOTUSBlog people suggest that Alito is the author is because he has not authored any other opinions from the March oral argument sessions. Also, the court traditionally reads the opinions in reverse order of the seniority of the justice who authored them, so any opinions by Sotomayor would be read first, followed by Alito.

TFred

Post imported post

Monday, Monday.

Post imported post

Well, this is the first time out of the box as part of SCOTUS for Sotamayor on gun rights.

Anybody want to bet on how she does?

(I bet she writes her own opinion that argues for a much lower than fundamental right that would allow for all sorts of abuse of gun bearers.)

Post imported post

Any takers they will exempt Maryland so they can go home from work and still
    "Feel Safe".

At least if Sotomayor writes the majority opinion the main stream pundants
    will have problems selling the story that she is compensating.

Gong to be a long expensive weekend shooting up all my bullets before they are
    outlawed. I would have prefered July 5th, so I can celebrate two gun rights
    at once. The old ticker shouldn't be taxed so much in a week, freedom is
    contagious you know.

Maybe McD's will have a BYOG day, Free Big Macs with every Big Gun worn on hip. :celebrate

Banned

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Monday, Monday.
    The next four words are "can't trust that day."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Monday, Monday.
    Every other day, every other day,
    Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
    But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
    You can find me hopin' all of the time

Yata hey

With apologies to The Mamas & The Papas
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Thundar wrote:
    Monday, Monday.
    The next four words are "can't trust that day."
    Beat me to it!!!!

Now where is the "pouty" emoticon?

Editied to add....

I am looking for the Supreme Court's decision with trepidation. I expect any gains to be lost due to the allowance of "reasonable restrictions" being added to the decision. Just as in "Heller"...

And how those "reasonable restrictions" shake out is anyone's guess.... and I suspect will take much time and many court battles to resolve.... but.....

"Reasonable restrictions" flies in the face of "shall not be infringed"..... which, given the state of society today, seems to be too much for many folks (I don't include savvy freedom loving people in that category of "folks" mentioned) to even get inside their heads... much less understand.

But then that glorious written document called the Constitution has been perverted into ... that odd piece of paper someone has to figure out what we want it to mean.....

Sorry... once again I digress off into the truth.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

It's been rather a long time since I've posted. All the political squabbling got tiresome around the election. Anyway, I think we all have common cause with the coming McDonald ruling. Whatever future cases will make of "reasonable regulation," we still stand to gain greatly by having the 2A binding on state and local governments - Heller isn't sufficient for those of us actually living in the states. The prevailing wisdom is that it will find incorporation under the 14A "due process" clause, even if only by 5-4. I'll take it where I can get it.

A heartfelt, if slightly premature, congratulations to everyone advocating for our rights.

-ljp

Post imported post

“To me, any gun taken off [the street] saves thousands of lives in America. I really believe that. I don’t care what you tell me.”

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    It's been rather a long time since I've posted. All the political squabbling got tiresome around the election. Anyway, I think we all have common cause with the coming McDonald ruling. Whatever future cases will make of "reasonable regulation," we still stand to gain greatly by having the 2A binding on state and local governments - Heller isn't sufficient for those of us actually living in the states. The prevailing wisdom is that it will find incorporation under the 14A "due process" clause, even if only by 5-4. I'll take it where I can get it.

A heartfelt, if slightly premature, congratulations to everyone advocating for our rights.

-ljp
    Welcome back Legba!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast