• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Countdown to McDonald

TFred

imported post

With only two more regularly scheduled days for the release of opinions, it seems like it is taking forever for the McDonald ruling to be released.

Acording to SCOTUSblog.com, Thursday and next Monday are the only two remaining days of the current session where opinions would be released on a regular (expected) schedule.

In the mean time, a Google News search on the subject turned up this interesting article.

The anticipation is tough!

TFred

TFred

imported post

Update: The SCOTUSblog.com site published an entry this morning which concludes with:
At this point, we’ve got twelve cases to go. They include Bilski, the super-hot patent case; the trio of “honest services” cases (including Skilling v. United States); McDonald, the Chicago gun rights case; and a couple of big First Amendment cases. Stay tuned – we’ll have opinions on Thursday and Monday, and probably at least on one other day.
TFred

Thundar

imported post

Much more important than when the decision is released is who writes the opinion. I bet Sotomayor writes the dissenting opinion. I think it will be Ilito.

TFred

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Much more important than when the decision is released is who writes the opinion. I bet Sotomayor writes the dissenting opinion. I think it will be Ilito.

I think I would probably be quite happy for Sotomayor to spend the rest of her career writing every dissenting opinion issued. ;)

TFred

We-the-People

imported post

Now wouldn't it be the cat's meow if Sotomayor wrote the majority opinion and it was the one we are waiting for? We would hear the cries from DC for weeks!!!!!!

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I read that alito had the case and it should not be issued this morning...

Just announced the term ends Monday June 28, 2010 and there are four cases left undecided. It'll be a long weekend.

Toymaker

imported post

No opinion in McDonald v. Chicago today.

According to SCOTUS Blog the Chief Justice has announced that the court will have it's final opinions on Monday the 28th and that will close the term.

The opinion in McDonald v. Chicago will come on Monday morning after 10:00 AM and they think Alito will have it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Toymaker wrote:

According to SCOTUS Blog the Chief Justice has announced that the court will have it's final opinions on Monday the 28th and that will close the term.

The opinion in McDonald v. Chicago will come on Monday morning after 10:00 AM and they think Alito will have it.
To be continued..........

Will be a long wait until Monday.

Yata hey

elixin77

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Toymaker wrote:

To be continued..........

Will be a long wait until Monday.

Yata hey
Yes it is. For once, I'm looking forward to a Monday...

VAopencarry

imported post

Adam H wrote:
Since Alito is supposed to be writing the opinion and he is one of the conservative justices, I suppose that would be a good sign that the SCOTUS will rule in favor of incorporation?
hmmm... sounds like a reasonable assumption to me.

TFred

imported post

That much has never really been in doubt by any serious analysis. The questions are just how much ground are we going to cover here, with regard to what are "reasonable" restrictions.

Although there is no particular reason for them to do so, legally, it's my hope that the majority of justices have been following how DC has blatantly tried to ignore or walk the finest line around their Heller ruling, and that they take some time to make a more explicit and ... well ... reasonable definition of "reasonable" this time.

No doubt it will be a very much anticipated case shortly after 10 AM on Monday morning.

By the way, the only reason the SCOTUSBlog people suggest that Alito is the author is because he has not authored any other opinions from the March oral argument sessions. Also, the court traditionally reads the opinions in reverse order of the seniority of the justice who authored them, so any opinions by Sotomayor would be read first, followed by Alito.

TFred

Thundar

imported post

Well, this is the first time out of the box as part of SCOTUS for Sotamayor on gun rights.

Anybody want to bet on how she does?

(I bet she writes her own opinion that argues for a much lower than fundamental right that would allow for all sorts of abuse of gun bearers.)

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Any takers they will exempt Maryland so they can go home from work and still
"Feel Safe". :lol:

At least if Sotomayor writes the majority opinion the main stream pundants
will have problems selling the story that she is compensating. :lol:

Gong to be a long expensive weekend shooting up all my bullets before they are
outlawed. I would have prefered July 5th, so I can celebrate two gun rights
at once. The old ticker shouldn't be taxed so much in a week, freedom is
contagious you know.

Maybe McD's will have a BYOG day, Free Big Macs with every Big Gun worn on hip. :celebrate