• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Massad Ayoob on open carry.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

zack991 wrote:
Does not sound like he is a big support of it at all. I enjoy a lot of his work he has down for gun owners, yet this tickes me off.

He starts talking about it at 5.32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bSUAAEYEM&feature=related

Part 2--gets better here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWcGQQ9V1lI&feature=related
Overall, he supports OC however he does take exception to it for several reasons on these videos. In the second one, he gives what he believes to be some good reasons for OC'ing.

Also in the first video, his points are valid for reasons he gave when one considers some of the states. The OC movement in Virginia has been far easier and less problematic then most other states I would bet. So someone OC'ing in Ohio or California, I would bet, is far more likely to get the attention of the populous and LEO's with calls of MWAG occurring much more frequently.

Dreamer

Mass tends to tailor his OC stance to the specific audience he's addressing. Judging by the chapter on OC in his book "The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry", he enjoys doing it himself. He has a story about visiting VA, and OCing there, and described it as something he thought was a good idea.

But when he's addressing CC-biased audiences he tends to bad-mouth OC. When he's addressing LE audiences he tends to talk down OC. When he's addressing the big gun magazines, he tends to badmouth OC.

But when he's talking to gun "enthusiasts"--people who know their firearms, are well-trained, and enjoy shooting--he seems to be very Pro-OC...

Mass is not an activist. He's a firearms instructor. He's a cop. He has to sell articles and books.

He is, in other words, a consummate ideological prostitute. He says whatever it takes to make his current "client" feel happy, comfortable, and important. Sometimes that means supporting OC. Sometimes that means demeaning it.

I still enjoy much of his writing. I just have come to the realization that he's not REALLY a "carry activist". He's a "speaker for hire", and he will say whatever his current highest bidder wants to hear. So I take what he says with a grain of salt most of the time...

DinFreemont

Mass is not an activist. He's a firearms instructor. He's a cop. He has to sell articles and books.

He is, in other words, a consummate ideological prostitute. He says whatever it takes to make his current "client" feel happy, comfortable, and important. Sometimes that means supporting OC. Sometimes that means demeaning it.

I still enjoy much of his writing. I just have come to the realization that he's not REALLY a "carry activist". He's a "speaker for hire", and he will say whatever his current highest bidder wants to hear. So I take what he says with a grain of salt most of the time...

The most accurate post about Mr. Ayoob I have ever seen, he and many/most of his “gun celebrity/gun writer” buddies fall in the same category.

since9

Campaign Veteran
So someone OC'ing in Ohio or California, I would bet, is far more likely to get the attention of the populous and LEO's with calls of MWAG occurring much more frequently.

That's because folks in California have been brainwashed into thinking MWAG is a life-threatening emergency. The more folks open-carry, the sooner Californians and others will come back to reality.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
That's because folks in California have been brainwashed into thinking MWAG is a life-threatening emergency. The more folks open-carry, the sooner Californians and others will come back to reality.

This is true unless the general mode of the state is so against OC'ing that it creates a backlash and California is a good example of this. People in states like California are so ingrained with anti-gun sentiment that trying to get them to see people who carry as doing something normal is a very had task. Also, California is loaded with immigrants who come from countries where the freedom to own and carry firearms is next to non-existent. Many of these immigrants have been encouraged to keep their native country's culture (BIG mistake) and a lot of them are voters. This doesn't bode well for us since it creates an adversarial situation between natural born and naturalized citizens.

rotorhead

Perhaps immigrants and potential naturalized citizens should have to take a test that certifies that they have a basic understanding of the origins of our nation, as well as a basic understanding of our rights, type of government, and the like.

Oh wait...

j4l

I've never been sure what to think of Mr. Ayoob...read a lot of his stuff over the years,and agreed with a fair amount of it,but as a "subject-matter expert" of sorts, does anyone know if he's ever actually been in a gunfight of his own?
Or is his knowledge largely based upon studying the craft, the incidents of others, etc?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've never been sure what to think of Mr. Ayoob...read a lot of his stuff over the years,and agreed with a fair amount of it,but as a "subject-matter expert" of sorts, does anyone know if he's ever actually been in a gunfight of his own?
Or is his knowledge largely based upon studying the craft, the incidents of others, etc?

From what I recall of a couple of his earlier articles, yes, he's used his firearm in self-defense. Like most of us, however, most of what we learn with respect to what to do and not to do comes from case scenarios of the few who ever do actually need to use their firearm.

Last edited: