Thread: carrying at work

Post imported post

has the law been passed in michigan that a person with the right permits can bring his gun to work and leave it locked in a trunk gun safe and can not be fired from his job because work does not allow it

Post imported post

It appears that they are "stalled":

MI Senate Version: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2009-SB-0792

MI House Version: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2009-HB-5302

BTW - These bills will not allow a person to carry at work, they are only designed to allow a person to store firearms in a person's vehicle while in an employer's parking lot.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Banned

Post imported post

Welcome

Post imported post

Here is what I got back from my email to the main sponsor of the bill:

Unfortunately it looks like House leadership has killed this bill and that it is not going anywhere at this time. Speaker Dillon would control whether it can come up for a vote, but is right now opposed.

Respectfully in Service,

Paul Opsommer's Office State Representative, 93rd District
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

Just remember, Michigan is an 'at will' state meaning that if they find out you're carrying at work, they can fire you because they don't like the color of your tie.

Personally, this law means absolutely nothing to me. My employer will never find out my gun is in my car, regardless of what the law is, because I know if they do, I'll get fired for something stupid like that. My job is absolutely notorious for this.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

yep, the only two people who should know you are carrying at work is your and jesus. that being said, if one was legally able to conceal, well and comfortably at work, I know I would. Who knows, one day you might save your bosses life and then they'll change the firearms policy.

Banned

Post imported post

Gee, if I said that,....

Post imported post

Right now House and all House Committees in Michigan Legislature are controlled by Democrats. I think it will change hands this fall. Senate is already in Republican's hands and margin will get wider, I hope. Governor will also be Republican. I think after this November a lot of gun friendly Bills will go through, including right to store pistol in the car in employer parking lot.

Post imported post

Well, for what it's worth. I'd carry a small 357 or 38spl+p hammerless in my pocket and never say anything to anyone. But that wouldn't effect any of my employee's cuzz I am a PRO-CARRY employeer.
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Gee, if I said that,....
    Advocating breaking the law, and advocating breaking policy are two different things. Ultimately, they are both rooted in the same basic motivation, but one can get you fired, the other can get you time in the gray bar hotel. Just saying.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog View Post
    Well, for what it's worth. I'd carry a small 357 or 38spl+p hammerless in my pocket and never say anything to anyone. But that wouldn't effect any of my employee's cuzz I am a PRO-CARRY employeer.
    What kind of company do you have? Are you hiring?

i may in fact be serious, depending on your answer.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.