• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wahington do's and don'ts with CWP

pretz

imported post

I need a little help here. I have recently applied for and received my CWP and never received a pamphlet or document that tells me the do’s and don’ts. And I have spent time on the laptop searching but maybe I am not typing in the right key words.

As I understand it I can carry it anywhere except for places that serve alcohol restricted to 20 and younger, schools to include colleges, court houses. What else am I missing? Or can someone direct me in the right direction so I can read, understand and be legal. Thanks

o2ryan

imported post

At the risk of getting caught in a troll's net, here it goes.

In Washington, you did not apply for a CWP, you applied for a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). That is important to distinguish as a permit and a license are two different things.

Second, when you filled out the application, you should have been handed a pamphlet containing all the information that can be found here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Happy reading.

pretz

imported post

thanks for squaring me away with the correct wording. And i will enjoy. Thanks

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The FAQ's stickied at the top of the forum page are also helpful, and you could always request a pamphlet from the local law enforcement agency that issued the permit.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
The FAQ thread at the top of the page is also a good start. (MAYBE I SHOULD GET IT BOLDED TO MAKE IT EASIER TO SPOT)

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/40333.html

Whether you Open or Conceal carry it does not matter, the off-limit locations are the same.

ROTFLMAO. Our replies came it at the same time. Great minds think alike. I'm still trying to figure out how they wound up killed the first time around. Good thing you had a copy of them.

pretz

imported post

This is just what I have been looking for. Simple and to the point. Thanks for the help

o2ryan

imported post

The forum link is simple and to the point, but it is also important to know which laws to reference for yourself and for others that will eventually ask you. So at the least get familiar with where to find the RCW's for future reference.

Snarly

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

SnarlyWino wrote:
The forum link is simple and to the point, but it is also important to know which laws to reference for yourself and for others that will eventually ask you. So at the least get familiar with where to find the RCW's for future reference.

Snarly
Each of those question on the FAQ have the referenced RCW & US Code assigned to them. The Gun Rights Pamphlet has all of them condensed for easier reading.

j2l3

imported post

Also, if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, there is an app that has all of the RCW's in it for reference. You can also email directly from the app, any page you are reading to anyone with an email address.

I've found it a handy app to have.

jddssc121

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Also, if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, there is an app that has all of the RCW's in it for reference.  You can also email directly from the app, any page you are reading to anyone with an email address.

name?

o2ryan

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
SnarlyWino wrote:

Snarly
Each of those question on the FAQ have the referenced RCW & US Code assigned to them. The Gun Rights Pamphlet has all of them condensed for easier reading.
Sorry Gunner, I have never looked that close. It is great that you have spent the time to put that together.

My suggestion to the OP and others is that they should know where to find the RCW's in general, not just when it comes to his rights and responsibilities as a gun owner.

Snarly

j2l3

imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
j2l3 wrote:
Also, if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, there is an app that has all of the RCW's in it for reference. You can also email directly from the app, any page you are reading to anyone with an email address.

name?
RCW2009

jddssc121

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:

Whether you Open or Conceal carry it does not matter, the off-limit locations are the same.

not true. go read

RCW 9.41.300 (2)(b)(i)
and
RCW 9.41.300 (7)

the first one is a very real difference. The second one isn't going to happen in real life... but still a legal difference.

jddssc121

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
jddssc121 wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:

not true. go read

RCW 9.41.300 (2)(b)(i)
and
RCW 9.41.300 (7)

the first one is a very real difference. The second one isn't going to happen in real life... but still a legal difference.
M1Gunr's statement was correct.

RCW 9.41.300 (2)(b)(i):

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060;

** It says ANY PISTOL.  It does not specifiy openly carried or concealed.

RCW 9.41.300 (7):

(7) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to a person licensed pursuant to RCW 9.41.070 who, upon entering the place or facility, directly and promptly proceeds to the administrator of the facility or the administrator's designee and obtains written permission to possess the firearm while on the premises or checks his or her firearm. The person may reclaim the firearms upon leaving but must immediately and directly depart from the place or facility.

** Nowhere in (7) does it specified an openly carried or concealed firearm.

Just because a person possesses a CPL does not mean they MUST carry a gun concealed.  They have the OPTION to do so.

my apologies. I read his statement as having a CPL vs not having one.

M1 was correct. If you do have a CPL, there is no difference in where you can CC vs. OC.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

pretz wrote:
schools to include colleges, court houses.
There is no law barring you from carrying on College campus'. Per the campus policy. What they don't see won't hurt them I always say;)

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

When I first got my CPL, I bought a copy of Dave Workman's "Washington Gun Rights & Responsibilities" and studied it religiously for about a week until I had a very good idea about what I could do and couldn't (or just shouldn't) do. Dave is at most WAC shows in Puyallup, where you can buy the book directly from him there, or you can get it off of his site. Since then, my wife got her CPL and has also spent some time with the book, and when I'll quiz her, she gets all of the answers right. Makes me happy that I know she knows what she's doing (having not come from a "gun-family").

Here is the link to Dave's book: http://www.danddgunleather.com/pages/washington_gun_rights.htm

oldkim

imported post

If you want most of the laws pertaining to gun right inplain language for Washington State- You really need to invest in Dave Workman's booklet.

Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities

http://danddgunleather.com/pages/washington_gun_rights.htm

For basically, $11 you can't go wrong. Lots of examples and it's been combed through by a lawyer so you don't have to go get one to decipher the RCW's yourself.

I try to read it every now and then just to keep up with all the updates and things you don't consider (since it didn't pertain to you but now it does).

You can order it online but you're likely to find it at most gun stores.

Remember it's a CPL for Washington. Concealed Pistol License :D