Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 1911

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    282

    Post imported post

    So i've decided to get a 1911. I had an old Colt back in the day, sold it a few years ago and still miss it. Would love advice. Here's my requirements.

    1) - I'm a left, so ambi-safety is a must. Also prefer left handed mag release, but not a deal breaker.

    2) - Barrel length. Not shorter than 3.5", no longer than 4".

    3)- Capacity. at least 7+1

    4) - Price. Not an issue. I'm willing to pay for quality. I'm not willing to pay for brand name bragging rights. If it's pricey because it's awesome that's fine, if it's pricey solely due to the name on the slide, or because it's a "limited edition", I'll pass.

    5) - Reliability. I don't want to have to clean it every 100 rounds. I want Sig reliability. This isn't a range pistol, this is a carry pistol.

    6) - Firing pin block. (don't try to convert me, i want one)

    7) - .45ACP. How dare you think of another caliber for the 1911.

    thanks in advance for advice!!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    Only thing I can think of is Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911 Compact.

    http://www.impactguns.com/store/4806015514299.html

    Will that work?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    282

    Post imported post

    Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    Only thing I can think of is Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911 Compact.

    http://www.impactguns.com/store/4806015514299.html

    Will that work?
    6+1 isn't my first pick, but that could work. How is their quality? I've never heard of them.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    914

    Post imported post

    You get what you pay for... I'd personally suck it up with the left handed issue and got for a Springfield EMP. I think they are ambi come to think of it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    514

    Post imported post

    My buddy in TX swears by RIA... out of the box they seem to me like the low-end Colt models... a bit of a rattle, kind of clunky... but he swears they are as good as any 1911 he owns...

    That being said, wait a year and there are bound to be some pretty sweet 100 yr anniversary models coming out!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    282

    Post imported post

    Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    You get what you pay for... I'd personally suck it up with the left handed issue and got for a Springfield EMP. I think they are ambi come to think of it.
    barrel is too small on the EMP

  7. #7
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    If price is really not an object, get a Para Ordnance P-14.45 Limited, send it to Novaks in WV for a "fluff and buff", and you will never regret it.

    13+1 rounds of 230gr. .45acp, in an all-steel match-grade pistol that is as reliable, accurate, and smooth-running as a Swiss watch and as rugged as an anvil. Woof...

    Once it's broken in (which should only take about one box of ammo after Novak's get their hands on it), you'll wonder why you ever even considered a single-stack 1911...

    Of course, I DO have a bit of a bias on the matter...

    However, if you WERE open to an alternative caliber, I can't recommend the Colt Delta Elite (1911 in 10mm) too highly. They are easy-to-shoot, accurate and reliable, and except for the barrel and magazine, 100% parts-compatible with the .45acp 1911s. Heck, you could even get a .45acp barrel and magazine, and you'd essentially have TWO excellent firearms...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    282

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    If price is really not an object, get a Para Ordnance P-14.45 Limited, send it to Novaks in WV for a "fluff and buff", and you will never regret it.

    13+1 rounds of 230gr. .45acp, in an all-steel match-grade pistol that is as reliable, accurate, and smooth-running as a Swiss watch and as rugged as an anvil. Woof...

    Once it's broken in (which should only take about one box of ammo after Novak's get their hands on it), you'll wonder why you ever even considered a single-stack 1911...

    Of course, I DO have a bit of a bias on the matter...Â*

    However, if you WERE open to an alternative caliber, I can't recommend the Colt Delta Elite (1911 in 10mm) too highly. They are easy-to-shoot, accurate and reliable, and except for the barrel and magazine, 100% parts-compatible with the .45acp 1911s. Heck, you could even get a .45acp barrel and magazine, and you'd essentially have TWO excellent firearms...
    I'll check it out, thx!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    282

    Post imported post

    PS - anyone have experience w/ Wilson Combat? Are they just overpriced due to the name? Or are they as magical as they sell themselves to be?

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran Cavalryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    jddssc121 wrote:
    PS - anyone have experience w/ Wilson Combat? Are they just overpriced due to the name? Or are they as magical as they sell themselves to be?
    On most gun forums, I hesitate to mention this because people sometimes think Wilson pistols are the exclusive province of snobs or gullible yuppies...but...(putting on flame-retardant suit)...you did ask...

    I routinely carry a Wilson CQB Elite in .45 ACP. Believe me, it was a hard sell because of the price tag! The guy at my favorite gun store was after me for 2 years to buy one. Finally, he loaned me his...I went directly from the range to the store and bought one! The accuracy is spectacular! Mine will shoot 3-shot cloverleafs all day long at 25 yards. It came with every mod I wanted and none of the ones I didn't except that I changed the slide release for one that fits flush on the right side so it doesn't interfere with the Crimson Trace laser grips. Expensive? Oh, yeah! Worth it? Definitely! I got mine lightly used (i.e., just well-broken-in) for $2,650. With the new slide release and Crimson Trace grips, it comes in right at $3,000.

    I made up my mind the day I bought that if it was going to be my constant companion and the one I would rely upon when my life was on the line, I was not going to baby it -- and I haven't. The finish has a few small scratches near the muzzle and the back of the right side of the slide has some "concrete engraving" where I fell right-hip-down (stepped on a patch of ice which I didn't see...the rest of the parking lot was clear). That doesn't matter because it just keeps on pumping out bullseyes without missing a beat.

    To put my experience in context, I own over 100 guns. If it goes "bang" I've probably shot it. In my opinion, the Wilson is the best M1911 on the market. If your budget can stand it, it's the one to get.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavalryman View Post
    jddssc121 wrote: On most gun forums, I hesitate to mention this because people sometimes think Wilson pistols are the exclusive province of snobs or gullible yuppies...but...(putting on flame-retardant suit)...you did ask...

    I routinely carry a Wilson CQB Elite in .45 ACP. Believe me, it was a hard sell because of the price tag! The guy at my favorite gun store was after me for 2 years to buy one. Finally, he loaned me his...I went directly from the range to the store and bought one! The accuracy is spectacular! Mine will shoot 3-shot cloverleafs all day long at 25 yards. It came with every mod I wanted and none of the ones I didn't except that I changed the slide release for one that fits flush on the right side so it doesn't interfere with the Crimson Trace laser grips. Expensive? Oh, yeah! Worth it? Definitely! I got mine lightly used (i.e., just well-broken-in) for $2,650. With the new slide release and Crimson Trace grips, it comes in right at $3,000.

    I made up my mind the day I bought that if it was going to be my constant companion and the one I would rely upon when my life was on the line, I was not going to baby it -- and I haven't. The finish has a few small scratches near the muzzle and the back of the right side of the slide has some "concrete engraving" where I fell right-hip-down (stepped on a patch of ice which I didn't see...the rest of the parking lot was clear). That doesn't matter because it just keeps on pumping out bullseyes without missing a beat.

    To put my experience in context, I own over 100 guns. If it goes "bang" I've probably shot it. In my opinion, the Wilson is the best M1911 on the market. If your budget can stand it, it's the one to get.
    I'll check them out. Thanks!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
    PS - anyone have experience w/ Wilson Combat? Are they just overpriced due to the name? Or are they as magical as they sell themselves to be?
    I'll second the Wilson Combat guns, they are among the top 3 of the high end 1911's. I have 3 and regularly carry a 4" gun called the Stealth. Wilson Combat offers outstanding firearms and excellent customer service in my experience. Since you are jumping up to 2 grand (and higher) range, look at Ed Brown and Les Baer also. Any one of the 3 are outstanding makers and most of them are real characters to talk with. If you want a real custom, call Ted Yost in Phoenix, AZ. Ted is a true craftsman and pleasure to deal with; he learned the 1911 from the man himself working at Gunsite Ranch with Jeff Cooper. I had the pleasure to spend several hours with Ted in his shop while talking about a rifle I wanted built. Some of his Cooper stories are funny as hell.

    Steve

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •