Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Liberals Use Supreme Court Gun Case to Bolster Other Rights

  1. #1
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  2. #2
    Regular Member wewd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    664

    Post imported post

    This decision may come out tomorrow morning, but more than likely not until next monday (28th).

    I'm going to just go nuts here for a moment and predict that it will be 9-0 in favor of incorporation, with Ginsburg writing the majority opinion, with the justices split 5-4 in favor of P or I incorporation over due process. Ginsburg, Stevens, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Thomas for P or I, and Scalia, Roberts, Alito, and Kennedy for due process. Crazy, right? Probably, yes. But all the stars are aligned for it to happen. You just have to convince the "leftist" justices who hate guns to see the bigger picture of what is at stake here. I think Alan Gura did a wonderful job of that with his briefs and oral arguments, and there have been more than a few amicus curiae filed in support of P or I incorporation by traditional leftists who you would not expect to see in a gun case like this. There's no reason why it can't happen.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

    Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

    "Live Free or Die"

  3. #3
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Riverside, California, USA
    Posts
    638

    Post imported post

    wewd wrote:
    This decision may come out tomorrow morning, but more than likely not until next monday (28th).

    I'm going to just go nuts here for a moment and predict that it will be 9-0 in favor of incorporation, with Ginsburg writing the majority opinion, with the justices split 5-4 in favor of P or I incorporation over due process. Ginsburg, Stevens, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Thomas for P or I, and Scalia, Roberts, Alito, and Kennedy for due process. Crazy, right? Probably, yes. But all the stars are aligned for it to happen. You just have to convince the "leftist" justices who hate guns to see the bigger picture of what is at stake here. I think Alan Gura did a wonderful job of that with his briefs and oral arguments, and there have been more than a few amicus curiae filed in support of P or I incorporation by traditional leftists who you would not expect to see in a gun case like this. There's no reason why it can't happen.
    Man, what are you smokin? :shock:

    If the decision comes out this way, I'll eat my holster!

    From an argument standpoint, I thought that Paul Clement did a better job. Alan Gura seemed to stumble around a bit. I don't think he brought out the points the justices wanted to hear. I think they wanted to hear more about liberty, unenumerated rights, and conceptual approaches to applyingprivileges and immunities. I think that Gura's arguments missed the target set up by the justices. It almost seemed as if he was not prepared for their line of questioning.
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

  4. #4
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    I have a suggestion foreveryone waiting for this decision. Monday morning, put on some Depends just in case they go for the P or I clause. And I have some really good salsa for Sons of Liberty, in case he has to eat his holster.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Escondido, California, USA
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    Sons of Liberty wrote:
    wewd wrote:
    This decision may come out tomorrow morning, but more than likely not until next monday (28th).

    I'm going to just go nuts here for a moment and predict that it will be 9-0 in favor of incorporation, with Ginsburg writing the majority opinion, with the justices split 5-4 in favor of P or I incorporation over due process. Ginsburg, Stevens, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Thomas for P or I, and Scalia, Roberts, Alito, and Kennedy for due process. Crazy, right? Probably, yes. But all the stars are aligned for it to happen. You just have to convince the "leftist" justices who hate guns to see the bigger picture of what is at stake here. I think Alan Gura did a wonderful job of that with his briefs and oral arguments, and there have been more than a few amicus curiae filed in support of P or I incorporation by traditional leftists who you would not expect to see in a gun case like this. There's no reason why it can't happen.
    Man, what are you smokin? :shock:

    If the decision comes out this way, I'll eat my holster!

    From an argument standpoint, I thought that Paul Clement did a better job. Alan Gura seemed to stumble around a bit. I don't think he brought out the points the justices wanted to hear. I think they wanted to hear more about liberty, unenumerated rights, and conceptual approaches to applyingprivileges and immunities. I think that Gura's arguments missed the target set up by the justices. It almost seemed as if he was not prepared for their line of questioning.
    I got your bet in writing! I will provide the bbq sauce!

  6. #6
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    According to this SCOTUS blog, the decision will come down monday.

    http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/06/li...nions-6-24-10/
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    Here is a site where the decisions handed down are listed.

    http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/slipopinions.aspx
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  8. #8
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    Gundude wrote:
    According to this SCOTUS blog, the decision will come down monday.

    http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/06/li...nions-6-24-10/
    Monday it is. Its going to be a long weekend of pins and needles.


    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •