• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Liberals Use Supreme Court Gun Case to Bolster Other Rights

wewd

imported post

This decision may come out tomorrow morning, but more than likely not until next monday (28th).

I'm going to just go nuts here for a moment and predict that it will be 9-0 in favor of incorporation, with Ginsburg writing the majority opinion, with the justices split 5-4 in favor of P or I incorporation over due process. Ginsburg, Stevens, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Thomas for P or I, and Scalia, Roberts, Alito, and Kennedy for due process. Crazy, right? Probably, yes. But all the stars are aligned for it to happen. You just have to convince the "leftist" justices who hate guns to see the bigger picture of what is at stake here. I think Alan Gura did a wonderful job of that with his briefs and oral arguments, and there have been more than a few amicus curiae filed in support of P or I incorporation by traditional leftists who you would not expect to see in a gun case like this. There's no reason why it can't happen.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

wewd wrote:
This decision may come out tomorrow morning, but more than likely not until next monday (28th).

I'm going to just go nuts here for a moment and predict that it will be 9-0 in favor of incorporation, with Ginsburg writing the majority opinion, with the justices split 5-4 in favor of P or I incorporation over due process. Ginsburg, Stevens, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Thomas for P or I, and Scalia, Roberts, Alito, and Kennedy for due process. Crazy, right? Probably, yes. But all the stars are aligned for it to happen. You just have to convince the "leftist" justices who hate guns to see the bigger picture of what is at stake here. I think Alan Gura did a wonderful job of that with his briefs and oral arguments, and there have been more than a few amicus curiae filed in support of P or I incorporation by traditional leftists who you would not expect to see in a gun case like this. There's no reason why it can't happen.

Man, what are you smokin? :shock:

If the decision comes out this way, I'll eat my holster!

From an argument standpoint, I thought that Paul Clement did a better job. Alan Gura seemed to stumble around a bit. I don't think he brought out the points the justices wanted to hear. I think they wanted to hear more about liberty, unenumerated rights, and conceptual approaches to applyingprivileges and immunities. I think that Gura's arguments missed the target set up by the justices. It almost seemed as if he was not prepared for their line of questioning.

Gundude

imported post

I have a suggestion foreveryone waiting for this decision. Monday morning, put on some Depends just in case they go for the P or I clause. And I have some really good salsa for Sons of Liberty, in case he has to eat his holster. :lol:

pullnshoot25

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
wewd wrote:

Man, what are you smokin? :shock:

If the decision comes out this way, I'll eat my holster!

From an argument standpoint, I thought that Paul Clement did a better job. Alan Gura seemed to stumble around a bit. I don't think he brought out the points the justices wanted to hear. I think they wanted to hear more about liberty, unenumerated rights, and conceptual approaches to applyingprivileges and immunities. I think that Gura's arguments missed the target set up by the justices. It almost seemed as if he was not prepared for their line of questioning.
I got your bet in writing! I will provide the bbq sauce!